autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: what's the last car care/detailing video you've just watched?

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    What is it about the heat are you worried about hurting?
    I've found overusing a pad and getting it hot loosens the the adhesive holding on the felt backing pad and it also tends to effect the foam of the pad itself in strange ways. At least it did to my Lake Country pads when I was first learning. Overall it really shortens the lifespan of the pad.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

what's the last car care/detailing video you've just watched?

Thats interesting. To each thier own, inducing moisture to the pad is only making the pad less effective. What is it about the heat are you worried about hurting? What type of pad are you using air compressor for?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Not worried to bad about heat was just a guess that it’s better if at all. I just got some pad conditioning free with chem guys pad brush.

Polished out half a car before I started using the conditioner and say I was getting faster results. I don’t saturate the pad like you would with a pad washer but found pads work better if after a panel I’d brush spray pad 3 times and then polish.

Guessing it cools pad down and what I know about foam a cooler pad will cut better.

From Chen guys:

Chemical Guys Polishing Pad Conditioner lubricates buffing and polishing pads to reduce wear and tear, and produce superior polishing results. Dry rubbing builds up excess heat and friction, which reduces the effectiveness of polish abrasives and wears down buffing pads prematurely

I also blew out a couple pads (lake country flats) pre using conditioner none since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Not worried to bad about heat was just a guess that it’s better if at all. I just got some pad conditioning free with chem guys pad brush.

Polished out half a car before I started using the conditioner and say I was getting faster results. I don’t saturate the pad like you would with a pad washer but found pads work better if after a panel I’d brush spray pad 3 times and then polish.

Guessing it cools pad down and what I know about foam a cooler pad will cut better.

From Chen guys:

Chemical Guys Polishing Pad Conditioner lubricates buffing and polishing pads to reduce wear and tear, and produce superior polishing results. Dry rubbing builds up excess heat and friction, which reduces the effectiveness of polish abrasives and wears down buffing pads prematurely

I also blew out a couple pads (lake country flats) pre using conditioner none since.

If it works better for you then might as well keep doing it.

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I've found overusing a pad and getting it hot loosens the the adhesive holding on the felt backing pad and it also tends to effect the foam of the pad itself in strange ways. At least it did to my Lake Country pads when I was first learning. Overall it really shortens the lifespan of the pad.
    Some of my older (4years)lc force pads have the backing starting to separate just around the very edge of the pads. I think thats from trying to rip the pad from the backing plate though

Post Thanks / Like

I messed up a couple times when I was still learning and had the glue get soft on a pad and it seperated from the felt. Felt stayed on the backing plate and the pad flew off. On another one the foam got all orange-peeled and a little concave in the center, also due to heat from what I understand. After that I was much more careful about rotating pads.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I messed up a couple times when I was still learning and had the glue get soft on a pad and it seperated from the felt. Felt stayed on the backing plate and the pad flew off. On another one the foam got all orange-peeled and a little concave in the center, also due to heat from what I understand. After that I was much more careful about rotating pads.
    Holy smokes lol. Yes also rotate frequently, pretty much one pad per panel

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my older (4years)lc force pads have the backing starting to separate just around the very edge of the pads. I think thats from trying to rip the pad from the backing plate though

Rupes claw. Fixed that for me….Guessing a butter knife

Post Thanks / Like

This video popped up in my Youtube feed today, which I clicked on because its an Aussie channel and car. But to me, there is some quite cringe worthy stuff going on here.

Firstly, the wash. Apart from using a foam sponge, one guy was washing the car, the presenter then following behind with a clay bar. To me, without the rinse before claying, he is basically grinding all the dirt suspended in the soapy water into the paint, in turn making more work for himself with polishing.

Polishing. I'm hardly an expert on rotary polishing, but to me he was waaay over working the hood with a huge wool pad and a heavy compound. Then he goes back and hits again with the rotary, then again with a D/A. The paint on these cars is not ultra hard or ultra soft, so a three-step correction is not really needed. Waaay overcomplicated and I hope there is some clearcoat left.

Protection. Considering all the time, effort and complication that went into the polishing, he then throws a 6-month sealant at the thing. On a daily driver, you'll probably get 3 months. Shame to not have coated it at.

Anyway, probably overthinking it, but then again, probably not.

Post Thanks / Like

i am the jump starter.

11. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

not necessarily a detail video, but somewhat related as to using chemicals within. for those who use coatings (or any chemical for that matter) on a regular basis (or often), please take precaution as it relates to your health...

i am the jump starter.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast