autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine bay rubber and plastic

I don't have any amazing before/after photos, but I use CarPro PERL. For whatever reason, it works better underhood than any other product I've used and it also seems to work far better in that environment than when you apply it to exterior trim or tires.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

MotorPlast in action.

Engine bay rubber and plastic-img_6693-jpg
    Flex 3401 & PE14

3. Likes DFB, PNWSam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used Sonus Motorkote, Hyper-Dressing, 303 and Polish Angel Engine. I almost purchased KC Motorplast but it's too similar to Perl/Hyperdressing. I think most of these spray on dressings perform very similar. Not much of a difference between them and I've used them consecutively over several years. Engine bay still gets just as dirty regardless of which product I used. I was able to get nice results with all of the products I've used. Hyper/Perl allow you to alter the dilution ratio which is nice.

Lately I've been wiping down the engine bay with Ech20. I soak a few rags in a 1:25 bucket of Ech20. I like the finish at that dilution.

Polish Angel Engine is an interesting product. Leaves a very nice finish behind. Subtle/matte finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    I've used Sonus Motorkote, Hyper-Dressing, 303 and Polish Angel Engine. I almost purchased KC Motorplast but it's too similar to Perl/Hyperdressing. I think most of these spray on dressings perform very similar. Not much of a difference between them and I've used them consecutively over several years. Engine bay still gets just as dirty regardless of which product I used. I was able to get nice results with all of the products I've used. Hyper/Perl allow you to alter the dilution ratio which is nice.

Lately I've been wiping down the engine bay with Ech20. I soak a few rags in a 1:25 bucket of Ech20. I like the finish at that dilution.

Polish Angel Engine is an interesting product. Leaves a very nice finish behind. Subtle/matte finish.
    Me too, ECH20 works so well on engine bays.

6. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When you all are going at he engine with cleaning agents, water, etc., are you covering specific parts of the engines themselves, or just going at it, and drying with towel, air, etc.?

I know that I have been real careful in the past, and have not gone crazy with rinsing, etc. but it seems as if you all have no issues just hosing the compartment down at full blast.

I know in the old days, I would cover the alternator, plugs, etc., but I open up the hood on my new car, and it's like it's not even an engine (wouldn't mind it if it looked like that Camaro photo, BTW).

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejaf View Post
    When you all are going at he engine with cleaning agents, water, etc., are you covering specific parts of the engines themselves, or just going at it, and drying with towel, air, etc.?

I know that I have been real careful in the past, and have not gone crazy with rinsing, etc. but it seems as if you all have no issues just hosing the compartment down at full blast.

I know in the old days, I would cover the alternator, plugs, etc., but I open up the hood on my new car, and it's like it's not even an engine (wouldn't mind it if it looked like that Camaro photo, BTW).

Eric
    For over 20 years I've followed the same procedure without an issue:

On a cool engine spray an APC of your choice (I like OPC or any APC that won't corrode aluminum)
    Agitate.
    Rinse.
    Air dry.
    Spray with dressing of your choice (Hyper/Motorkote/303/Perl will dry to the touch if you let them settle).

I would drive the car around after I cleaned the engine bay to get it warm. That would speed up the drying process for Hyper-Dressing or 303.

The best practice is to just keep up with it and that's what I've been doing with Ech20.

9. Thanks ejaf thanked for this post
    Likes Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejaf View Post

Eric
    I think that is very car dependent.

For example, on my XR8, the air filter and battery are exposed, so I cover them with a plastic bag. If you have issues with the bag moving, then weigh it down with a saturated towel.

On this Mazda, everything is covered in plastic, so I just went at it.

11. Thanks ejaf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Super Clean 4-1 and Hyper and a blow and minor towel wipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

14. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes DFB, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    On this Mazda, everything is covered in plastic, so I just went at it.

Mine doesn't have the battery cover. I just spray it with cleaner and wipe it off and then avoid spraying water on it when I clean the rest of the engine bay.

16. Likes DFB liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123