autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you still use a sealant?

Absolutely. I enjoy the activity of applying sealants and waxes and I am always looking to try different products. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, Collinite 476S & 845 are some of my favorites. I just tried the Griots all in one Ceramic. The jury is still out on that one.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

2. Likes CleanIT, Uncbrs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought about trying Carpro Elixir.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you still use a sealant?

I did a full detail on my Cadillac last week and was set to finish it off with Cancoat. But at the last minute I changed my mind. Why? Because I had been testing Cancoat on my trunklid for the past 2-3 months and last week when I claybared my trunk it showed more bonded contaminants than I would’ve liked.

So I decided to stick with Armor All Extreme Shield Wax [sealant] for my personal vehicle. I don’t mind re applying every 3-4 months in exchange for real protection against bonded contaminants.

Not to mention the application process is easier, no prep needed and no worries about high spots.

5. Likes Uncbrs, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Not to mention the application process is easier, no prep needed and no worries about high spots.
    That’s one of the main reasons why I continue to use wax/ sealant
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

7. Likes Uncbrs, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I only use sealants in a couple situations.

- I need an LSP right away to carry me over until I can apply a coating. Example: Buying a car in the summer or winter when applying a coating isn't possible, or I'm not able to take the time to do a coating for a month or two

- Dealing with a car I know won't be cared for very well, will see lots of automated car washes, and the owner only wants it clean.

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    Thought about trying Carpro Elixir.
    I wouldn't. Not a real fan.

For me Elixr held up for about six weeks on naked paint; there are much longer lasting spray sealants. I also found it didn't really add much gloss. Application in temps below 60F was problematic as it just smears around and leaves an oily residue. It doesn't really dry and you can't buff it out.

If you want a good spray sealant, go with one of the TW ceramic products.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

- Dealing with a car I know won't be cared for very well, will see lots of automated car washes, and the owner only wants it clean.
    It is funny how many really good detailers (you being one) disagree on when coatings are ideal. Case in point, some detailers assert FOR coating for cars not cared for very well because A) a coating can hold up to the harsh chemicals some automated car washes use that would degrade waxes and sealants, B) a coating theoretically should be able to stand up to the beating, and therefore marring, from the brushes of the automated car wash a little better than a sealant or wax (emphasis on "a little better" i.e. no coating will completely resist marring), and C) coated cars generally stay cleaner longer between washes than waxed or sealed cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert31 View Post
    It is funny how many really good detailers (you being one) disagree on when coatings are ideal. Case in point, some detailers assert FOR coating for cars not cared for very well because A) a coating can hold up to the harsh chemicals some automated car washes use that would degrade waxes and sealants, B) a coating theoretically should be able to stand up to the beating, and therefore marring, from the brushes of the automated car wash a little better than a sealant or wax (emphasis on "a little better" i.e. no coating will completely resist marring), and C) coated cars generally stay cleaner longer between washes than waxed or sealed cars.
    Ceramic coatings rely on what........Maintenance.

If they dont get regular washes, as well as decon washes(how often per yer depends on a few factors) then they dont last. They get clogged , then the performance/longevity of said coating goes way down.

Coatings are nice, i love them but they are not for everyone. Especially someone who only wants to run the vehicle through a touchless wash.

A tunnel wash is not even worth mentioning.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

12. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    If they dont get regular washes, as well as decon washes(how often per yer depends on a few factors) then they dont last.
    The type of soap has a lot to do with this too. When I used Optimum Car Wash, I'd have to do a decon with Reset at least once a year, mostly in the Spring. Once I moved to Meguiars Hyperwash, I've never needed a decon wash. I'm testing out 3D Pink now, so we'll see how it does.

A tunnel wash is not even worth mentioning.
    You'd be surprised how many people don't know the difference. In casual conversation I've mentioned touchless washes with people and I get a blank stare followed by a question of what that actually means. We have a few in our area, but people don't know/care to figure out the difference. Funny observation. In the depths of winter when I use touchless wash places, I'll stop at a place right on my way home from work. It has two traditional brush bays and one touchless. Often the line for the brush tunnels will be be off the lot onto the street. There will be little/no line for the touchless bay and I'll pull right up.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The type of soap has a lot to do with this too. When I used Optimum Car Wash, I'd have to do a decon with Reset at least once a year, mostly in the Spring. Once I moved to Meguiars Hyperwash, I've never needed a decon wash. I'm testing out 3D Pink now, so we'll see how it does.
    The more I use Meg Hyperwash, the more I like it. Add to the fact that I can stop by Habor Freight and grab a gallon for 30 dollars makes it even better.

16. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You'd be surprised how many people don't know the difference. In casual conversation I've mentioned touchless washes with people and I get a blank stare followed by a question of what that actually means. We have a few in our area, but people don't know/care to figure out the difference. Funny observation. In the depths of winter when I use touchless wash places, I'll stop at a place right on my way home from work. It has two traditional brush bays and one touchless. Often the line for the brush tunnels will be be off the lot onto the street. There will be little/no line for the touchless bay and I'll pull right up.
    Ive never tried hyperwash, but have always heard good things. Ive used 3d pink in the past, currently still have a half gallon of 3d super soap(3d pink but concetrated) that i actually just opened. It is now just used for the wheels. I only do rinseless washes now. Always foaming first with a high alkiline, followed but onr or fenlab pure rinseless.

Super soap is the only "regular"soap i have on the shelf now. I gave the last bit of reset to a kid at work who keeps his black newer ford nice and clean but has no clue of the products out there beyond auto parts/wally world brands.

Theres a tunnel wash near work, theres some very nice vehicles that use it. Makes me cry lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast