autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you still use a sealant?

Quote Originally Posted by Prange View Post
    FK1000p for me. Great bird and bug resistance. Easy on and off. Lasts all winter in the Midwest. And one tin lasts for years. It is, however, a SOB to get out of pads.
    I will make up a strong bucket mix of warm water (not at the point of being hot but close, basically as hot as you thing the adhesive on the pad will tolerate) with a pretty good amount of Megs Super Degreaser (Super Clean may also work) and will dunk the applicator/pad in and squeeze and release several times while in the solution. Wear gloves or your hand will be so dry they crack. After that, I will let soak in the solution until the water goes back to room temperature. Generally the time frame while I am cleaning up/putting stuff away from the detail. When cool, dump out that solution and run the applicator/pad under hot water while squeezing and releasing several times. This will remove most of the FK1000p. Toss the applicator/pad in the wash machine. Set on small load, add an ounce or two of Rags to Rich and quite a bit more Super Degreaser and set the temperature to high, assuming your machine is not so high that the adhesive will give out, then use warm instead. This will create a ton of foam, do not use a level higher than small load or may foam out of your machine. At this point, FK1000P will be out of the applicator/pad but all will have a strong odor of Super Clean. So next I would prep my normal wash for all the other microfiber towels and such used in the detail and toss the Super Degreaser smelling applicators/pads in that wash too and the smell will be gone.

Sometimes you will need to do this process with the towels you buffed the FK1000P. So far the heat has never ruined a towel fortunately.

2. Likes PaulMys, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find sealants to be the best product for most people. My business is about 80% coatings but only a handful of customers are actually willing to do the bare minimum to maintain a coating. I now actively encourage people to get an exterior detail with a good sealant and go from there. Saves me time and saves them a hell of a lot of money. Coatings are great but too many people think they are some magical solution that means no more maintenance.

4. Likes Uncbrs, willowcat11, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderchicken View Post
    I'll confess to being uninformed, though I am learning things here all the time. Is the Griot's 3 In 1 Ceramic considered a sealant then? Since it replaced their Poly Wax I am guessing so, in which case I am still using a sealant ..
    Yeah I would put it under the Sio2 sealant category

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes willowcat11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Yeah I would put it under the Sio2 sealant category

Agreed, but not nearly as long-lasting.

I'm a Griot's fan and have tried 3-in-1 in several different trials.

My opinion is that it lasts 3 weeks, tops.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes willowcat11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert31 View Post
    I will make up a strong bucket mix of warm water (not at the point of being hot but close, basically as hot as you thing the adhesive on the pad will tolerate) with a pretty good amount of Megs Super Degreaser (Super Clean may also work) and will dunk the applicator/pad in and squeeze and release several times while in the solution. Wear gloves or your hand will be so dry they crack. After that, I will let soak in the solution until the water goes back to room temperature. Generally the time frame while I am cleaning up/putting stuff away from the detail. When cool, dump out that solution and run the applicator/pad under hot water while squeezing and releasing several times. This will remove most of the FK1000p. Toss the applicator/pad in the wash machine. Set on small load, add an ounce or two of Rags to Rich and quite a bit more Super Degreaser and set the temperature to high, assuming your machine is not so high that the adhesive will give out, then use warm instead. This will create a ton of foam, do not use a level higher than small load or may foam out of your machine. At this point, FK1000P will be out of the applicator/pad but all will have a strong odor of Super Clean. So next I would prep my normal wash for all the other microfiber towels and such used in the detail and toss the Super Degreaser smelling applicators/pads in that wash too and the smell will be gone.

Sometimes you will need to do this process with the towels you buffed the FK1000P. So far the heat has never ruined a towel fortunately.
    Interesting. I’m sure it would work. I have a new HE washer, so I’m leery of anything that foams. They’re sensitive to that.

Thanks for the info.

10. Likes willowcat11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Agreed, but not nearly as long-lasting.

I'm a Griot's fan and have tried 3-in-1 in several different trials.

My opinion is that it lasts 3 weeks, tops.
    I get more than that from Ceramic Speed Shine or Ceramic Wash & Coat. Neither of those last as long as 3-in-1. Maybe it's the salty air.

3-in-1 does have some carnauba in it so you could call it a wax/sealant but it's more sealant than wax.

12. Likes willowcat11, Coatingsarecrack, Dortch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Been using seal n shine and top with bead maker or megs synthetic spray wax. So much easier to deal with no/less water spots.

14. Likes willowcat11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I was a WDGPS user for years....someone got me to try Jescar Ultra Lock Plus...and I've never looked back
    Hey, thanks for sharing that. That’ll be my next buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

For my personal cars (family), no. Coatings only.

For client cars, yes. I have a few clients who simply won't pay my coating price and that's ok by me. They get Collonite 845 machine applied. Being honest here, they are kind of a nice break in the meticulous application routine of a coating.

One of those client's is a garage kept vehicle and driven lightly. He's getting damn near the durability of some of my Can Coat clients!

17. Thanks willowcat11 thanked for this post
    Likes opie, PaulMys, willowcat11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still use the Wolfgang and Blackfire Sealants. Have numersou customers that still just want a detail without a Coating. I find the Sealant much quicker and always leave a great finish. Sealants are my go to on most details.

19. Thanks willowcat11 thanked for this post
    Likes willowcat11 liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast