autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Provide a critical review of this cars paint

Hey guys, I need some opinions here regarding this car that someone posted on another site. 1st time poster so I’m not looking to be rude or anything, but I did point out that I couldn’t fully agree with it being a “creampuff” in near original condition based on my observation of the paint based on this photo. Am I seeing this wrong? Or what’s your observation? Near perfect paint? Or?

Please reply if you see this post. Thx.

1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

2. Likes Klasse Act, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Provide a critical review of this cars paint

It's impossible to really assess that paint without seeing it in person...

But from what I can see in the pic there are:

- Dull Areas
    - Color Mismatch between Fender & Door

4. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Provide a critical review of this cars paint

Above the front headlight and the rear quarter panel, right? It’s pretty much clear as day huh? Lol.

He put up a Strong denial and said no way that car has lived a pampered life family owned and all.Provide a critical review of this cars paint
    Hey I’m not gonna step on the guys toes after that, plus he’s actually posting quite a bit and seems genuinely interested in asking about mechanical advice regarding his car and I’d rather see a car guy be happy and enjoy his car.

I just wanted to bounce some thoughts real quick. Cheers.

6. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a creampuff mechanically, who knows, but - and from one very bad photo in bad light - that paint could definitely benefit from some work. Better (and more) photos from different angles in better light would go a long way, obviously, but IMO it sure appears to need a good amount of correction.

8. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes vaced liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also towards front-middle of hood. basically, anywhere the light shines direct seems washed out. But maybe its just got a bunch of swirls, which seems like only a minor issue to me, especially if its actually original paint.

10. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got this, Ric.

Here's what you say:

"Your paint looks like 10 pounds of sh!t in a 5 pound bag".

Then call him "Snapper-head".

It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just for sh!ts & giggles, here’s how the convo played out earlier today.

This 1st post is a 2 for 1 because he quotes his earlier post.

After hearing that and seeing the picture, of course you know I had to say Something, I’m not just gonna not say nothing. Lol. But still, trying to be respectful of course. Also: I legit mistook the car for being 45yrs. old, when it’s actually 35ish yrs old. Honest mistake, can you blame me? Lol.

Here’s where he says the cars in the same shape it was when his parents bought it brand new 36yrs. ago… I can assure you Cadillac never sold cars with paint looking like that.Provide a critical review of this cars paintlol.

And this last related post somewhat felt like a slap to the back of my head. Mind you these dudes know damn well I detail cars and know what I’m looking at when I see it. I’m like the only person on there who really knows how we know about detailing. But as if I don’t exist he goes and says this.Provide a critical review of this cars paintlol.
    “Well taken care of” Smh. Umm nevermind the paint being all faded & rough, but don’t mind me I must not know what the heck I’m talking about. Lol.

All these posts happened in succession.Provide a critical review of this cars paint

Post Thanks / Like

Just Brougham, not Fleetwood Brougham, not in '87. It's nice they've kept it on the road and all but . . . that era of cars in general, and Detroit especially, wasn't one I recall fondly. Manufacturers were still reeling from EPA reg's they'd yet to figure out so motors were strangled but they were still building big boats like this (because demand was still there) that had to be powered by seriously neutered powerplants. Over 2 tons of car with under 200 HP under the hood . . .
    Still, LOTS of room for multiple sets of golf clubs AND a few bodies (AND shovels!) in the trunk plus a plush ride and it was good for its time when compared against the other luxo-barges on the market. I wonder what it would be like freshened up with some 21st century suspension and an LS* powerplant.

15. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_in_Chicago View Post
    Just Brougham, not Fleetwood Brougham, not in '87. It's nice they've kept it on the road and all but . . . that era of cars in general, and Detroit especially, wasn't one I recall fondly. Manufacturers were still reeling from EPA reg's they'd yet to figure out so motors were strangled but they were still building big boats like this (because demand was still there) that had to be powered by seriously neutered powerplants. Over 2 tons of car with under 200 HP under the hood . . .
    Still, LOTS of room for multiple sets of golf clubs AND a few bodies (AND shovels!) in the trunk plus a plush ride and it was good for its time when compared against the other luxo-barges on the market. I wonder what it would be like freshened up with some 21st century suspension and an LS* powerplant.
    I stand corrected. Not too shabby for an era you don’t recall too fondly.Provide a critical review of this cars paint

Karl_in_Chicago. Are you the long lost 3rd Blues Brother or something? Lol. Nice to meet you.Provide a critical review of this cars paint

Post Thanks / Like

The 80's was when I finally achieved enough financial wherewithal to buy a *new* car but there just wasn't much worth buying, LOL, so that's why I don't have real fond memories of vehicles of that era. I *did* buy a (new) 1982 Rabbit diesel (5-speed!), 2 door which I loved (and I was probably the only one). Fun to drive, easy city parking and ~50 mpg to boot. Detroit just fell into a real funk for a couple decades, sadly, as I loved the 60's and 70's stuff. My best friend in HS (70's) had a 60's Impala and one of my best friends in college bought a used '66 Continental. It was in great shape just some fairly oxidized paint and chrome. I showed him the power of polishing compound (by hand, power tools were strange and expensive things far beyond our reach) and Simichrome and we brought that thing back to its rightful glory. Hand polishing a million square feet of sheet metal in the Alabama summer today would kill me, LOL. When we were done the only defect on that car was the one that caused the seller to part with it. While I love suicide doors to this day the rear inside door handle on this model was positioned right in front of the armrest; your hand just naturally fell onto it if your arm was on the armrest. Story told to my buddy was that grandma in the backseat couldn't hear the front seat convo so tried to lean forward and accidentally pulled on the handle; door opened, at speed, and immediately flipped all the way back permanently creasing the sheet metal behind the hinge (and, no, I don't know grandma's fate). The paint was fine but fixing that crease was way beyond our skills or budget and it made a great story so we left it alone. Was a deep maroon with a bunch of chrome and some sharp whitewalls. Good times, good times.

18. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast