autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting the annual polish in while on baby's time.

Said baby.

Mila

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in a different time... If I had work to do, I did it.

Taking care of the kids was essentially Mom's job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    Said baby.

Mila

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Congratulations!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Thanks PouncingPanzer thanked for this post
    Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I grew up in a different time... If I had work to do, I did it.

Taking care of the kids was essentially Mom's job.
    My wife is still on maternity leave so with her all day while I am at work, so when I get home I like to help. At nine weeks I quite often enter to a crying Mila after work and a stressed wife. Getting better days more often though. My wife works from home so she will still be around Mila far more than me and the routine will likely continue.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I am going to use Sonax Perfect Finish with a Lake Country One-step microfiber pad on the G9 for the polish. Gonna start with the most rewarding panel, the hood. With warm weather here and a couple weeks since the last wash I have plenty of dried on bugs to remove. Bilt Hamber Touchless and OPC should do just fine in removing them. I will clay with a Chemical Guys blue clay bar and ONR and after polishing wipe down with Eraser. Haven't decided on what Collinite product to finish with yet. Probably 915 though since I consider that my summer wax.

7. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife is still on maternity leave so with her all day while I am at work, so when I get home I like to help. At nine weeks I quite often enter to a crying Mila after work and a stressed wife. Getting better days more often though. My wife works from home so she will still be around Mila far more than me and the routine will likely continue.
    My wife worked too and I did what I could to help her out and share the load.

My dad had a similar philosophy and I didn't see him much while growing up because he was always working. With my kids, I wanted to not only team up with my wife to share the workload of raising them, but I wanted to be more present. My girls now have some great memories of doing mundane things like working in the yard, getting ready for bed, doing chores etc, because we did them as a family. I was military for most of thier childhoods, so it didn't always work out, but we made the most of the time we had.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Thanks Uncbrs thanked for this post
    Likes Uncbrs, PouncingPanzer, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got the hood done yesterday. With getting my stuff staged up and taken out to the garage it came to three hours roughly. Other panels will certainly go quicker since I left everything out in the garage. I did one pass with Perfect finish and the Lake Country "Light cutting one-step pad" and was easily able to remove the usual washing and drying induced swirls and light scratches. I also got off some light spotting from gosh knows what. It wasn't water spots though. At the end of the day I don't expect miracles with the GLIs hood because after 4 years of freeway commuting and keeping the left lane clear it is somewhat sandblasted and rough(Huge regret not spending the cash on a PPF but oh well....). But elsewhere on the car I can achieve much better results with this set-up.

I noticed grease/oil splatter on the front bumper cover too so while I was doing the decon wash(Lift prewash with Reset in the bucket and the panel misted in OPC that dwelled for a few minutes) I cleaned that as well. Obviously if the hood is rough the front bumper cover is even more so. I didn't polish the front bumper cover but got it spotless clean and slapped some 476 on there too.

I sat there staring at the cans of Collinite 915 and 476 and decided since it perform so well through rainy season last year and this year 476 can be the base coat once again. Once I am done polishing all panels I'll do a single pass of wax on the whole car to even things out. That is likely a couple weeks away yet at this pace.

11. Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Progress! And if only people didn't sleep at 6am or 10pm. I remember between days just wanting to keep it going and get it done but the wife was right... baby sleeping, neighbors sleeping

Sounds like it'll look great when done!

And 476 is a cleaner wax if I recall, right? It should cover up anything small. I've got a tub of it not touched yet. I've got a bad wax problem and need more cars to use it all. Find it more fun to play with and don't need a year of protection.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncbrs View Post
    Progress! And if only people didn't sleep at 6am or 10pm. I remember between days just wanting to keep it going and get it done but the wife was right... baby sleeping, neighbors sleeping

Sounds like it'll look great when done!

And 476 is a cleaner wax if I recall, right? It should cover up anything small. I've got a tub of it not touched yet. I've got a bad wax problem and need more cars to use it all. Find it more fun to play with and don't need a year of protection.

Yea last year I went past 10PM three nights in a row...I certainly don't have the energy anymore to pull that off again haha.

476 aka "Super Doublecoat Autowax" is Collinites "winter wax" vaunted for it's durability. I can concur that out of all "waxes" I've used it has very good durability. 325 is their cleaner wax. I've used that too.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea last year I went past 10PM three nights in a row...I certainly don't have the energy anymore to pull that off again haha.

476 aka "Super Doublecoat Autowax" is Collinites "winter wax" vaunted for it's durability. I can concur that out of all "waxes" I've used it has very good durability. 325 is their cleaner wax. I've used that too.

Any light protection in the meantime until you apply the wax? I keep hearing about people now doing their polish wipe with something that had a little protection in it and wonder if that's an idea that'll quickly strip before you do the wax job?

Thanks to this place I'm now petrified of running at all without protection.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast