autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright boys, let’s get a plan together for my late dads Jeep Cherokee.

I’ve been putting this off way to long and I need to go ahead and get it over with. My dad passed away in 2021 and I inherited his ‘95 Jeep Cherokee. I don’t know when the last time it’s been washed and I want to polish it up to make it look nice.

I only snapped a couple of pictures on my way in from work, but I’m not sure how to shine something this neglected. I know the first step is to wash it, I’m guessing with more acid based soap, but then what? Do as normal? Iron decontamination then clay bar the heck out of it before buffing?

What do your genius minds think?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2021 Ford F-150 XL STX 5.0 Coyote
    2016 Ford Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost
    2010 GMC Acadia 3.6

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alright boys, let’s get a plan together for my late dads Jeep Cherokee.

6.5 RE lift, cut the fenders, 33" mudders... those things are such tanks. I miss my old one from my HS days. I spent one summer sanding mine down to have it painted in their 2001 Patriot Blue.

From the detailing perspective, there will be much more knowledgeable people along soon. You just sparked a memory for me though!

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

3. Likes Brrr, opie, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncbrs View Post
    6.5 RE lift, cut the fenders, 33" mudders... those things are such tanks. I miss my old one from my HS days. I spent one summer sanding mine down to have it painted in their 2001 Patriot Blue.

From the detailing perspective, there will be much more knowledgeable people along soon. You just sparked a memory for me though!

It’s only got 150k on the odometer. Needs some work though. Alternator, shocks, u joints, floor pans just to name a few.

2010 GMC Acadia 3.6

5. Likes Uncbrs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What soaps do you have on hand?

If it were in my posession, i would... foam with a high ph alkaline soap. That would better break down the grime compaired to an acidic soap.

Then pw all the grime off i could. Then iron remover if you want. Then bucket wash it with that same soap.

Then access the paint condition. Clay.

Are you looking for just a paint enhancement? If so i would just use 3d speed

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

7. Likes Brrr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright boys, let’s get a plan together for my late dads Jeep Cherokee.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    What soaps do you have on hand?

If it were in my posession, i would... foam with a high ph alkaline soap. That would better break down the grime compaired to an acidic soap.

Then pw all the grime off i could. Then iron remover if you want. Then bucket wash it with that same soap.

Then access the paint condition. Clay.

Are you looking for just a paint enhancement? If so i would just use 3d speed

Let’s see… I have megs gold class, cg honeydew, Carpro reset.. looks like I’ll be putting an order in. I saw DFB hit his bosses car up with Descale and Lift back to back, may give that a whirl. Not like it’s gonna hurt it.

I’m not wanting it to look 100% factory new, I just want it to shine up to that deep red that it was before. I have some speed, griots fcc, griots polishing cream, megs 105 and megs 205.
    I would like to do a 3 step on it and since speed is a 2 step, I think I’ll pass on that option. Im open to buying something if need be…

Which brings me to pads. Right now I have the G9 with LC orange flats… I know you’re a fan of the forces, is there anything like that line for a DA? I seen the SDO and HDO line but I ain’t for certain on how good they are. I think I have some B&S Uro-Cell pads but not enough to do the whole Jeep. Probably could get it to the buffing stage and try what I have to see if I’m gonna need a stronger combo.

2010 GMC Acadia 3.6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brrr View Post
    Let’s see… I have megs gold class, cg honeydew, Carpro reset.. looks like I’ll be putting an order in. I saw DFB hit his bosses car up with Descale and Lift back to back, may give that a whirl. Not like it’s gonna hurt it.

I’m not wanting it to look 100% factory new, I just want it to shine up to that deep red that it was before. I have some speed, griots fcc, griots polishing cream, megs 105 and megs 205.
    I would like to do a 3 step on it and since speed is a 2 step, I think I’ll pass on that option. Im open to buying something if need be…

Which brings me to pads. Right now I have the G9 with LC orange flats… I know you’re a fan of the forces, is there anything like that line for a DA? I seen the SDO and HDO line but I ain’t for certain on how good they are. I think I have some B&S Uro-Cell pads but not enough to do the whole Jeep. Probably could get it to the buffing stage and try what I have to see if I’m gonna need a stronger combo.

Yes descale and lift are good soaps to have on hand, and work well.

From what ive read, theres nothing wrong with those lc flats. Im pretty sure thats what paulMys uses on his g9.

What do you mean speed is a two step? Also what you mean by a three step? Cuz a three step correction is pretty involved, And ment to shoot for perfection.

I could even see hittin that paint with a mf cut pad....ppl love those b@s urofibers, along with a compound. Is it doesnt finish down as well as you like, then finish out with speed or a regular polish.

Id say Speed if your not going with some sort of ceramic protection

Post Thanks / Like

Wash, clay/iron decon, 3D speed

11. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Yes descale and lift are good soaps to have on hand, and work well.

From what ive read, theres nothing wrong with those lc flats. Im pretty sure thats what paulMys uses on his g9.

What do you mean speed is a two step? Also what you mean by a three step? Cuz a three step correction is pretty involved, And ment to shoot for perfection.

I could even see hittin that paint with a mf cut pad....ppl love those b@s urofibers, along with a compound. Is it doesnt finish down as well as you like, then finish out with speed or a regular polish.

Id say Speed if your not going with some sort of ceramic protection

Well from what I’ve read, speed is a compound/polish without the wax. 3D One has the Wax in it (I believe it’s Poly) while I’m not going for perfection, I would like to get it as good as I can get it when I’m doing it.

I wont be ceramic coating it. Probably just do the TWHS Spray stuff, as many here seem to like it.

I’ll give it a good wash Friday with what I have and see what that does, then go from there..

Also, it has a leaking valve cover gasket. Probably wouldn’t be a good idea to clean the engine bay until that’s fixed eh? Don’t want to push water/APC where it doesn’t belong.
    2010 GMC Acadia 3.6

13. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well from what I’ve read, speed is a compound/polish without the wax. 3D One has the Wax in it (I believe it’s Poly) while I’m not going for perfection, I would like to get it as good as I can get it when I’m doing it.

I wont be ceramic coating it. Probably just do the TWHS Spray stuff, as many here seem to like it.

I’ll give it a good wash Friday with what I have and see what that does, then go from there..

Also, it has a leaking valve cover gasket. Probably wouldn’t be a good idea to clean the engine bay until that’s fixed eh? Don’t want to push water/APC where it doesn’t belong.
    You have 3d speed and 3d one backwards. 3d speed is an "aio" cleans,polishes,and protects, as it contains poxy.

3d one is a compound/polish. Which is pad dependant so that determins how much cut you get. Ive never used 3d one and probly never will. Many ppl on here like it.

And personally i would not worry about water when cleaning out the engine bay with that bad gasket. I would want that clean b4 i preform the repair anyway.

15. Thanks Brrr thanked for this post
    Likes Uncbrs, Brrr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You have Speed and 3D One flipped. 3D One is the compound/polish and Speed has the protection in it.

17. Likes opie liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast