autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions on Gyeon CanCoat Evo and its application

I have Can Coat Evo set to go on my truck here soon, but I had some questions.

1. Whats the general temperature application zone(s)?
    2. I plan on washing it & polishing it in one day and then that following morning - hitting it with prep and then applying the Can coat. How long does it truly take to setup/dry? Should I do multiple passes with Prep, or just one nice heavy soaking/wiping?
    3. I know it says to not apply in the sun, assuming that is so the solvent doesnt flash fast. But can it get hit by the sun as the day goes on? ( after its applied? )
    4. I have Gyeon Cure to use in case of rain, but Im more concerned with that morning dew that sets up on panels over night. Should I use Cure if no rain and to prevent the dew from messing it up? Im sure cure hinders crosslinking or something a little bit... no?
    5. I think I read that I should have a bunch of short pile MFs on hand to keep rotating to eliminate the over saturated towel issues, true?

Any other pointers on this? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions on Gyeon CanCoat Evo and its application

Can coat dries fast, as far as you wipe on wipe off . Dont overapply, little goes long way.

yes use cure if any worries of any type of mosture(including dew).

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

3. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would cure if leaving outside overnight.

For prep spray I would use once done polishing to remove and residue right away. Next day I would do a rinseless with a pure Rinseless if dusty. If not prep wipe again.

Probably overkill but worth it after putting in all that work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I would cure if leaving outside overnight.

For prep spray I would use once done polishing to remove and residue right away. Next day I would do a rinseless with a pure Rinseless if dusty. If not prep wipe again.

Probably overkill but worth it after putting in all that work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have 914 available. I can use that as Rinseless or even a prep spray. Although I have a big bottle of prep so I should have enough to use twice. But yeah, I did plan on using prep after polishing

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    I have Can Coat Evo set to go on my truck here soon, but I had some questions.

1. Whats the general temperature application zone(s)?
    2. I plan on washing it & polishing it in one day and then that following morning - hitting it with prep and then applying the Can coat. How long does it truly take to setup/dry? Should I do multiple passes with Prep, or just one nice heavy soaking/wiping?
    3. I know it says to not apply in the sun, assuming that is so the solvent doesnt flash fast. But can it get hit by the sun as the day goes on? ( after its applied? )
    4. I have Gyeon Cure to use in case of rain, but Im more concerned with that morning dew that sets up on panels over night. Should I use Cure if no rain and to prevent the dew from messing it up? Im sure cure hinders crosslinking or something a little bit... no?
    5. I think I read that I should have a bunch of short pile MFs on hand to keep rotating to eliminate the over saturated towel issues, true?

Any other pointers on this? Thanks!
    Temp Range - said to be ideally applied between 59 deg to 78 deg. Either side of that will increase/decrease the working time. I applied on an 86 deg day with no issue.

Prep - I would do one, thorough hit with Gyeon Prep prior to application.

Cure Time - 12 hours before seeing water, 14 days before being washed.

Sun - Apply in a cool, shaded position. Any sun after that application is fine.

Gyeon Cure - If you are at risk of any form of moisture during the first 12 hours, then absolutely apply Cure. You will also find Cure adds some slickness to the finish which is lacking with Can Coat.

Towels - The Can Coat kit comes with a towel supplied, but it's good to have a couple extra to swap out as needed. I actually use a microfiber brick to apply Can Coat, which I find easier to manage than a folded towel. I wipe the product on with the applicator, buff with the towel.

A couple of other tips -

- You will need less product that you think. Apply a thin, "almost there" coat and remove immediately. Any more and you are simply wasting it.
    - Spray the product directly into the towel/applicator and never directly onto the car.
    - Move away from the vehicle when applying to the towel/applicator.
    - If you have other cars close by, move them or cover them to avoid any overspray.
    - When finished, run IPA or Prep through the spray head to flush the product out.

My Decon/Polish/Prep/Application of Can Coat here -

Post 133 -
    DFB's Garage

Posts 438 & 448 -
    DFB's Garage
    DFB's Garage

I have 914 available. I can use that as Rinseless or even a prep spray. Although I have a big bottle of prep so I should have enough to use twice. But yeah, I did plan on using prep after polishing
    Apparently 914 can be used as a paint prep, but the dilution is heavy for it to work (8:1).

The general rule of thumb is to always use the coating manufacturers prep product for optimal results. If you do need to do a rinse-less, I would still wipe with Gyeon Prep before coating.

9. Likes opie, MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't overthink it when applying Cancoat.

Per Jeff@Gyeon, this is a wipe-on-wipe-off product. It bonds instantly to the paint. This is what makes Cancoat unique and attractive - its fast, easy application. And you don't need to over apply it which is why they say that you only really need 1 towel for wipe off. If you find that your wipe off towel is smearing or not fully buffing off the residual, then your applying way too much Cancoat to the surface.

I recommend you watch these Gyeon videos and read all the comments where Gyeon answers many questions. Most of the good information is found there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    A couple of other tips -

- You will need less product that you think. Apply a thin, "almost there" coat and remove immediately. Any more and you are simply wasting it.
    - Spray the product directly into the towel/applicator and never directly onto the car.
    - Move away from the vehicle when applying to the towel/applicator.
    - If you have other cars close by, move them or cover them to avoid any overspray.
    - When finished, run IPA or Prep through the spray head to flush the product out.
    For towels, I guess any towels will work for the application and final wipe/removal? I have some short nap ones that I bought from AG a while back

Cobra 12 Pack Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths

Im going to do two coats since the truck is white and it'll be hard to see if I missed any areas. I guess a second coat an hour later?

Im going to most likely toss on a coat of Cure right as the sun goes down so to allow the CanCoat to cure the longest time possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post

Per Jeff@Gyeon, this is a wipe-on-wipe-off product. It bonds instantly to the paint. This is what makes Cancoat unique and attractive - its fast, easy application. And you don't need to over apply it which is why they say that you only really need 1 towel for wipe off. If you find that your wipe off towel is smearing or not fully buffing off the residual, then your applying way too much Cancoat to the surface.

I recommend you watch these Gyeon videos and read all the comments where Gyeon answers many questions. Most of the good information is found there.
    Thanks, I only came across the Esoteric one when I was looking Cancoat up. Thanks for the others. I guess an hour apart for the second coat should suffice? What about the Cure coat? I plan on doing that later in the day close to sundown, as to give the Cancoat the longest time to cure as possible...

Whats your thoughts on the truck being outside in the sun while its curing? I going to try and keep it shaded but the trees might be dropping stuff ( the spring buds, flowers ) and pollen will be there too, but yeah. Seeing as its an instant bonded coating, I dont think pollen will be much of an issue. Im going to wait till early summer or so to get this done, so pollen will be lower.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post

This. Use it like a spray-wax, done in 10-15 minutes. Would give it to my neighbors who were used to spray-waxes from auto parts store & they’d be happy as pigs in (mud) from Spring to Fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For towels, I guess any towels will work for the application and final wipe/removal? I have some short nap ones that I bought from AG a while back

Cobra 12 Pack Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths

Im going to do two coats since the truck is white and it'll be hard to see if I missed any areas. I guess a second coat an hour later?

Im going to most likely toss on a coat of Cure right as the sun goes down so to allow the CanCoat to cure the longest time possible.
    Those towels should be fine. Be sure to demote them after use though.

16. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast