autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding a smaller DA polisher?

Anyone else have more than one polisher? I like my Porter Cable 7424xp, but often wonder how a smaller one would help in tighter areas.

I use 5.5 and 3.5" pads.

I've been looking at these two. The Griots one is smaller which might be better. I see Rupes has some as well.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adding a smaller DA polisher?

Quote Originally Posted by Bdubbs View Post
    Anyone else have more than one polisher? I like my Porter Cable 7424xp, but often wonder how a smaller one would help in tighter areas.

I use 5.5 and 3.5" pads.

I've been looking at these two. The Griots one is smaller which might be better. I see Rupes has some as well.

Out of those two, I would take the Flex, that Griots one looks too goofy to take seriously.

The PXE80 is a love it or hate it type of polisher. Some love the versatility of swapping out backing plate sizes, while others see it as being too big for a smaller area, and not powerful enough when running in 3-inch mode. Jack of all trades, master of none. However, if you only want to add one extra polisher, the PXE80 would be a very good choice.

In the ideal world, you would have a 5-inch machine (Portor Cable in your case), a 3-inch machine and a micro polisher like the Rupes Nano, Maxshine Mini or Adams SK.

Personally, I have a 5- and 3-inch Shine Mates, joined by a pneumatic Rupes LHR75 3-inch and the Rupes Nano Long Neck. The 3-inch Shine Mate I haven't used much since I got the Rupes pneumatic.

If you have a stout flowing air compressor, don't rule out the pneumatic LHR-75, it's very smooth and generally a joy to use.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been following this thread.

I'd really like a 3.5 in or preferably smaller (just a personal choice). The wall that I run into is price. For my applications (home DIY, 2 cars) the unit might get 3-4 hours of use per year. I realize that going cheap shouldn't be my 1st priority and I'm willing to try and buy quality. But for something that's going to be sitting on a shelf for 98% of it's life I just can't bring myself to spend $$$'s for a small DA polisher.

I'm open to suggestions. Telling me not to be such a cheapskate is an acceptable answer.

4. Likes Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Out of those two, I would take the Flex, that Griots one looks too goofy to take seriously.

The PXE80 is a love it or hate it type of polisher. Some love the versatility of swapping out backing plate sizes, while others see it as being too big for a smaller area, and not powerful enough when running in 3-inch mode. Jack of all trades, master of none. However, if you only want to add one extra polisher, the PXE80 would be a very good choice.

In the ideal world, you would have a 5-inch machine (Portor Cable in your case), a 3-inch machine and a micro polisher like the Rupes Nano, Maxshine Mini or Adams SK.

Personally, I have a 5- and 3-inch Shine Mates, joined by a pneumatic Rupes LHR75 3-inch and the Rupes Nano Long Neck. The 3-inch Shine Mate I haven't used much since I got the Rupes pneumatic.

If you have a stout flowing air compressor, don't rule out the pneumatic LHR-75, it's very smooth and generally a joy to use.
    I'll look into some of those. I just have some very tight areas that I don't think I'll be able to get at. The 90 convertible for instance has a luggage rack on the trunk. There is a lot of paint blemishes and scratches that I doubt I'll be able to get to. And the door areas where the side mirrors are.

I'll be working on those areas tonight. But it's a pain.

6. Likes DFB liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

A cheap alternative option is SPTA. For a nano.

8. Likes Honda Fan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    A cheap alternative option is SPTA. For a nano.
    Are you referring to the 12v mini version?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I'm frankly not sure of the voltage of version 2.

11. Likes Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the same myself. I would definitely add a 3” too your arsenal.

Not sure where I’d use a micro like the Nano or the griots.

I have a corded Adam’s SK mini and use it everytime so thinking of upgrading to cordless.

[mention]Bdubbs [/mention] where your at right now I would focus on a 3” and the flex gets good reviews but in rotary mode.

I think this is the next piece in your arsenal.

Rupes HLR75

BIGFOOT HLR75 MINI iBRID POLISHER - Rupes tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes DFB, Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post

I’m not worried about polishing interior. On exterior do you find yourself using nano a lot?

Debating on HLR75 cordless 3”, nano long neck or PXE…

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I’m not worried about polishing interior. On exterior do you find yourself using nano a lot?

Debating on HLR75 cordless 3”, nano long neck or PXE…

To be clear, I wasn't polishing the interior there, rather the huge door sills on Jaguar's.

Having the Nano in my arsenal was a pivotal moment for me, it's just so handy to have on hand and makes dealing with tight spots so much easier. At the time, there wasn't anything similar on the market, meaning I sort of had to pay the Rupes premium.

Where the Nano comes into it's own for me is on front bumpers. Polishing a front bumper is the worst part of polishing, mainly because of the intricacies modern cars have.

I'm also using to polish trashed headlights, number plate covers, wheels, A-pillars or cutting in around the edges of glass................

I wouldn't be without the Nano now, in fact I want to add a short neck at some stage as well. The only thing stopping me is that Australian retailer only sell the Nano in the very expensive kit form and not the skin/battery combo sold by US retailers. I just need the tool and not all the fluff.

If you can't justify the price of a Rupes Nano, and I can totally understand that as they are very expensive for what they are, then the Adam's, Maxshine or STPA versions are great options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast