autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clay products - 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    What did they do before clay? And how the heck did they figure out clay to begin with?

And has anyone ever thought about claying their teeth?Clay products - 2023Clay products - 2023lol.
    A Japanese scientist of course

2. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I started using Clay Bars about 15 years ago and then switched to the Nanoskin Towels a couple years back. Nanoskin is an amazing product that cut the time to clay a car from aver an hour to abpout 15 minutes. If properly maintained the Nanoskin's last for years. I tried the Blackfire wash mit and use it as a wash mit and you can actually clay as you wash. Leaves a great finish as well. I was amazed the first time I used the wash mit at how smooth the finish was after just a wash. Hope that helps.

4. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clay products - 2023

I removed this paint from the rocker panels of this Cadillac yesterday using Meguiars Professional Aggressive Claybar.

The owner said he was driving down the road when a work truck in front of him dropped a bucket of paint and he drove over it. It happened over a week ago.

I only used this little piece of clay to take it off because I didn’t want to sacrifice the entire bar.

I didn’t even consider the claymitt, I don’t think it would’ve worked.

6. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's how I clay,little bits at a time, never the whole bar at once. It works well.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    That's how I clay,little bits at a time, never the whole bar at once. It works well.
    I usually use the whole bar. Cuts to the chase.

9. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm always afraid of dropping it...because I have. If I use the whole bar and drop it I'd be in a real bind. By tearing off chunks, it lessens the impact of my clumsiness. On one of those rectangular clay bars, a 1/3 piece fits in my hand nicely and seems to work pretty well for me.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly why I use pieces
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay products - 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I'm always afraid of dropping it...because I have. If I use the whole bar and drop it I'd be in a real bind. By tearing off chunks, it lessens the impact of my clumsiness. On one of those rectangular clay bars, a 1/3 piece fits in my hand nicely and seems to work pretty well for me.
    In that case, the current Meguiars Clay Kit would seem to be ideal for you. It’s thoughtful in that they package the clay into 3 smaller sized blocks that seem to be the exact size you’re describing.

I used to approach claying that same way until I started detailing/claying other peoples vehicles more often than my own and had to deal with heavy contaminated paint on a somewhat regular basis. That’s when I 1st stepped up to the Megs Mirror Glaze Claybars and something about it coming in a jar that has just enough room for the claybar doesn’t exactly leave much room to separate it into more than 1 bar inside. As you can see in this pic, I still have that piece I used to remove that paint off that car, and I don’t want it touching the rest of the clay, but I have nowhere else to store it so it’s staying on top of the lid for now.

Maybe that’s part of the reason I wound up liking to clay with the biggest chunk possible. The larger piece also helps cover more ground in less time which is crucial when dealing with heavily contaminated paint whereas it would take considerably longer if using a smaller mild strength claybar.

That’s why the Nanoskin claymitts are so well liked by many… They can cover a larger area than traditional claybar experience + are safer in regards to it fitting your hand like a washmitt + not critical even if you happen to drop it. For people who maintain their own vehicles in fairly good shape they’re a legit game changer. Their only real drawback is dealing with extremely contaminated paint. [synthetic clay pads are available] Personally, I’m not a fan of using my polisher during the clay process, but I’m sure there’s people who like that method.

13. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonax has a nice clay disk. It can be used on a machine, but also has a loop on the back to do by hand. It works really nice with their glass cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

I didn’t even consider the claymitt, I don’t think it would’ve worked.
    Have you thought about putting that contaminated piece in a sandwich bag or ziplock and then it would be safe to store alongside it’s unmolested “mother-bar” without risk of contamination?

16. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast