autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picking out DA and polish for a newb

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    Love the car! You need to swing over to Dayton in Aug as well.
    Like the name as well, but I am a Pontiac guy, so love GTO's as well. But the 'Birds are #1!
    When are the Nats this year? I imagine you’ll be coming down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Picking out DA and polish for a newb

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    your entitled to your opinion, to each his or her own...
    Yup, absolutely why I posted it. Curious, what DA do you think would be cheaper and better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    When are the Nats this year? I imagine you’ll be coming down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I will be there sir, it's the last weekend of August, 25-27. I hope to slide down a bit earlier than that.

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ws6guy View Post
    Yeah I'm torn between the Speed and one. I have a feeling Speed would work just fine for the swirling that I have. However I'm also concerned that it might take more passes which means more time. Where as One would probably quicker. Guess I need figure out what pad One finishes out good with and still provides good correction as I still want to kept it to a one step.
    Your example is a good reason why having multiple types on pads on hand are a good idea. If you start out using a medium cut pad and it isn't cutting enough, you can use the same liquid and step up to a more aggressive pad and it might do just as well. You don't have to only use one liquid with one type of pad.

I would think this becomes more important when using an AIO like you plan on doing. When I do my vehicles, I have polishes with a couple different levels of cut on hand and a couple different levels of pads. This allows me a pretty wide range of options to take care of anything I might encounter while doing the job. In your case, you may only have one polish to choose from, but by having multiple types of pads on hand you'll have some flexibility.

Granted, after you've worked on the vehicle a couple of times, you'll figure out what works best and you can stock up from there. However, it's still good to have a more aggressive option in reserve, even if you don't use it often. I rarely need to use my aggressive pads, but I still keep a few on hand. They have come in handy a couple times and I'm glad there were in my bin when I needed them.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Your example is a good reason why having multiple types on pads on hand are a good idea. If you start out using a medium cut pad and it isn't cutting enough, you can use the same liquid and step up to a more aggressive pad and it might do just as well. You don't have to only use one liquid with one type of pad.

I would think this becomes more important when using an AIO like you plan on doing. When I do my vehicles, I have polishes with a couple different levels of cut on hand and a couple different levels of pads. This allows me a pretty wide range of options to take care of anything I might encounter while doing the job. In your case, you may only have one polish to choose from, but by having multiple types of pads on hand you'll have some flexibility.

Granted, after you've worked on the vehicle a couple of times, you'll figure out what works best and you can stock up from there. However, it's still good to have a more aggressive option in reserve, even if you don't use it often. I rarely need to use my aggressive pads, but I still keep a few on hand. They have come in handy a couple times and I'm glad there were in my bin when I needed them.
    In all honesty, the pads are the expensive part if you're wanting to get the best performance. It's important to have different cuts, but it's also important to have quantity of each. If you only have 2-3 of each you're going to be cleaning them often, or not getting the best out of them. There is a noticeable difference in using only 2-3 for a whole care vs 7-8. You'll spend less time working on the car if you are able to change to a clean pad, and you'll get faster results as they won't be loaded up with product.

8. Likes BudgetPlan1, Desertnate, PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally placed the order. Not cheap but still less than what some of the detailers around here would charge. Once the truck is done then on to the Firebird and the wife's ride.

G9 & 5" backing plate
    Speed
    LC Flat pads, 6 white & 6 Orange
    Blackfire Pad Cleaner
    Pad Brush
    Carpro Eraser to inspect defect removal on test passes
    Griots Synthetic Clay(always use traditional but thought I'd give this a spin)

Then decided to try some different carwash stuff, LMF Mitts, LMF Sucker Jr., & Optimum shampoo

I doubt I'll get all the stuff by this weekend but if I do I'll be in the garage all weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Finally placed the order. Not cheap but still less than what some of the detailers around here would charge. Once the truck is done then on to the Firebird and the wife's ride.

G9 & 5" backing plate
    Speed
    Blackfire Pad Cleaner
    Pad Brush

Then decided to try some different carwash stuff, LMF Mitts, LMF Sucker Jr., & Optimum shampoo

I doubt I'll get all the stuff by this weekend but if I do I'll be in the garage all weekend
    Great list!
    Make sure you get some after pics, especially that 'Bird.

Post Thanks / Like

G9 & 5" backing plate
    Speed
    Blackfire Pad Cleaner
    Pad Brush

The Carpro Eraser is a awesome product. Works great in between laying down compounds, polishes, and sealants. I plan on using it on my wheels before ceramic coating them.

Also one of the best for windows!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

G9 & 5" backing plate
    Speed
    Blackfire Pad Cleaner
    Pad Brush

What LSP you going with?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    What LSP you going with?

Collinite 845

14. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast