autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My local ceramic coating snake oil operation

I just talked with a friend who works used cars at the local Chevy dealer. He referred a customer of his to me for ceramic coating.

He went on to tell me they (the dealer) offer ceramic coating in house for $1,500. It is a hose attachment that a high schooler sprays on the vehicle and then wipes it off with a towel.

He said they don’t even see it, meaning the charge is rolled into their principal/monthly payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My local ceramic coating snake oil operation

It really is sad and shady what lengths actual brand dealerships go to to upcharge customers on. I worked at one many many years ago, the interior, exterior, and rustproofing they offered were joke products back then. Today it's worse because they literally rape people for how much more they charge.... for product not much better.

4. Likes dgage, DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I coated a 2022 VW Atlas about a month ago. They opted into the $2000 paint protection package at the time of purchase which basically consists of the same type of spray on sealant that you can buy on EBay for $50. My local Honda dealership where I bought my car last year now goes so far as to include their “ceramic coating” as a dealer add on so you don’t even have the chance to opt out. It’s total BS how take advantage of gullible customers and do it with no shame at all.

6. Likes Eric7810, DAC17, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not surprised. Their material costs are low and it probably makes near 100% profit off those silly treatments.

I've walked away from dealerships for nonsense like that. When I refused to add that "package" to our most recent used car purchase, the dealership finance guy was shocked and looked like I'd kicked his puppy. Apparently it is really popular. I would have walked away if it was built into the price and not negotiable.

It's shocking how little consumers understand about what they are agreeing too. "Ceramic" is the buzzword they all know and will jump at any of it, no matter how nonsensical.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Likes CleanIT, DAC17, DFB, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Apparently it is really popular. It's shocking how little consumers understand about what they are agreeing too. "Ceramic" is the buzzword they all know and will jump at any of it, no matter how nonsensical.
    Exactly. I've had friends and workmates tell me about the "Ceramic" coating that came with their new car. They're the same people when a mechanic upsells them on "Ceramic" brake pads they feel like they're getting something special. Maybe it's the word "Ceramic"?

Post Thanks / Like

Local Honda dealer near Chicago does it. Walked away from a purchase because they would only take 200 off the 1500 charge.

Great work on the “coating” too. Swirled to heck. Dealers are clueless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    It's shocking how little consumers understand about what they are agreeing too. "Ceramic" is the buzzword they all know and will jump at any of it, no matter how nonsensical.
    My friend recently bought a Lexus with a $700 ceramic coating add-on built into the price. Thankfully I had coated his previous car so he knew the game. He inquired as to how they were able to coat the car so fast when he previous coating took 8 hours and the car had to be kept overnight. They removed the charge but customers like him are few and far between.

12. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brake pads are a little different, not really apples to oranges in this case.

A ceramic break pad will perform differently (often for the better) than an organic compound/semi-metallic pad. There is a clear distinction in the makeup of the pads. Either they are or they aren't. In detailing products companies seem to be mixing in "ceramic" ingredients to everything from wash soap to sealants to trim compounds with claims of superior performance. I waiting for it to show up on my next bag of coffee.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you only care to know about this sort of thing if you are interested in the subject, same with anything really. Dealers are counting on that and is why so many simply pay the price for this sort of "service" or "option".

One of my gardening clients bought a Landcruiser in 2011 and opted for the "ceramic coating" option. To this day, he believes the coating is still present, which I know is long, long gone when I have detailed it for him. I don't have the heart to tell him any different.

My sister was given the option for "paint protection" on her new Jaguar. I was of course asked if she should get it, and I of course told her not to bother as I could do it for her for nothing. She was led to believe that the paint protection would stop the car getting stone chips, and no, we are not talking about PPF here. So, they were happy to take her $2000 and have her believe that the car would be imperviable.

My boss recently bought his first brand new car and was being sold on paint and interior protection. Again, I told him to not fall for it, that I could do it for him at a fraction of the cost. Again, they had him believing that these paint and interior protection services were going to make the car flawless for the rest of its life.

15. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A guy I worked with back in the late 90s bought a brand new Hyundai Excel, he paid extra for Ming paint protection. He was adamant it meant he never needed to wash it. I watched the white paint get more and more dull. The paint protection had a 5 year warranty, and when it was 4.5 years old it got hail damage, he was screaming blue murder when the insurance wouldn't cover the cost of reapplying the paint protection. They basically just laughed at him.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

17. Likes DFB liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast