autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My local ceramic coating snake oil operation

The got my pops back in the day with good ole PermaPlate. Just looked it up and it is still around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    My sister was given the option for "paint protection" on her new Jaguar. I was of course asked if she should get it, and I of course told her not to bother as I could do it for her for nothing. She was led to believe that the paint protection would stop the car getting stone chips, and no, we are not talking about PPF here. So, they were happy to take her $2000 and have her believe that the car would be imperviable.
    Our Acura dealer tried to sell me a similar line with a $1600+ package for just the windshield glass (separate from the paint protection nonsense). The marketing line claimed it would prevent any stone chips and even breakage from flying debris! It was really hard for me not to laugh. Just thinking through the physics of a rock being kicked up by one vehicle and impacting another at speed makes it obvious no product you smear all over the glass and buff off is going to offer any protection.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Our Acura dealer tried to sell me a similar line with a $1600+ package for just the windshield glass (separate from the paint protection nonsense). The marketing line claimed it would prevent any stone chips and even breakage from flying debris! It was really hard for me not to laugh. Just thinking through the physics of a rock being kicked up by one vehicle and impacting another at speed makes it obvious no product you smear all over the glass and buff off is going to offer any protection.
    Acura got me with this BS. We bought my wife's Acura in late 2008 and they gave us a "deal" on their Crystal Fusion protection package. Whatever they put on the car, if anything, didn't do a damn thing. That was a hard lesson to learn but it never happened again.

Post Thanks / Like

What a scam. Infuriating they dupe people into it.

7. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post

When they can pick one of the many spray on rinse off sealants/coatings!
    2018 Colorado ZR2

9. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    What’s really infuriating is when your neighbor always tries to nickel & dime you everytime they want you to just “hook them up with a quick car wash” on their filthy vehicle yet tells you they paid the dealer $750 bucks for some “protection package” that didn’t bead from day 1 of the supposed application… Btw I stopped doing her car a while back but that ticked me off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I would absolutely laugh and then ask them to explain it to you. Make them earn it for all the others they've screwed.

Last purchase I told the finance manager "weird hobby, but I clean my cars for fun and will apply my own ceramic if I choose for $100". She moved onto the next upsell quicker than I've ever seen anyone go through it. She finished the spiel with "I can't let you walk out of here with nothing." As if to say buying the car itself wasn't enough...My local ceramic coating snake oil operation

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

12. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a Christian and I am not to harbor any hate in my heart, but I have to admit here before God and my fellow AG’ers… I really do hate dealerships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes Desertnate, ryanbabz71, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncbrs View Post
    I would absolutely laugh and then ask them to explain it to you. Make them earn it for all the others they've screwed.

Last purchase I told the finance manager "weird hobby, but I clean my cars for fun and will apply my own ceramic if I choose for $100". She moved onto the next upsell quicker than I've ever seen anyone go through it. She finished the spiel with "I can't let you walk out of here with nothing." As if to say buying the car itself wasn't enough...My local ceramic coating snake oil operation

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk
    This last time around, the finance guy took an odd approach to his sales pitch. At the start it sounded like some of the perks they give a new owner like one free oil-change. However, when dollar amounts were mentioned my wife and both knew the game was up. We both shut the guy down at about the same time which was humorous, and the guy looked hurt. He probably lost his cut of the commission.

The best experience was with a VW dealer several years ago. The finance guy simply pushed a piece a paper across the table with a list of options on it and their cost. He asked, "you interested in any of this?". I said "no", and he just smiled and we moved on. I was in and out of his office in 15 minutes.
    "
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

16. Likes Eric7810, Big Dave, DFB, Uncbrs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My brother in law bought a Kia Stinger and he was all excited about the great deal he got. For only an extra $1000 they added Simoniz Glasscoat at the dealership. They told him that he will never have to wax his car again. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he got taken. He was too proud of his "deal". About a year later the car was full of scratches and bird droppings that never really washed off.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

18. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast