autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you Pre-Soak : Pre-Foam and Why

Thx for the feedback. Probably will stop the hem-hawing at the BH when the next coupon comes up at -that vendor place-.

I washed 3 dailys today. Used up some of the Avalanch and did a quick test as well. On the windhshield, as I did the post rinse bucket wash, I must have missed a spot - you can clearly see road film leftover where I did no make mechanical contact.

I think once I have the BH touchless on hand, I plan to pre foam 3 sections...2 of them is the existing preform I have and the other will be BH
    Would be interesting to see all through looking out -clear windshield - to observe how much *road film* is leftover

2. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back when I drove 80 miles a day on freeway, I would foam as a pre-soak. Now that commute is down to 8 miles a day, no need to presoak...the 'traffic film' (aka 'dirt') comes of fine w/ just a bucket wash. Tried a few different high/low ph washes/presoaks and such, was really kinda pointless for my situation. No need to over-do it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    Would you recommend AF over the Touchless?
    I like it better for winter grime. Touchless does well tho.

But here is the thing when anyone gives their opinion . It is definitely based on their scenario.

What is the temp? How much snow/rain? What is in the sludge we whip up from the ground contain? Air contamination? We can even get into what type of fuel is mostly used and what additives do the gas company around us add.

So many different conditions is why some will absolutely love one product and others think their crazy is because of our experiences or conditions.

I say a 5 min dwell but what if I wasn’t precise and it was almost 8?

My recommendation is to try both. They both perform well and some like Touchless as well or better.
    John from Forensics got better results with Touchless in his head to head video, I got opposite results.

but he’s in a whole ‘nother part of the world. With different conditions.

2 things to remember AF has to be PW off. With touchless PW is recommended but hose is ok on strongest settling.

AF has a higher pH (13/14 AF 12 TL)So in case of LSP degradation lower is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cracks pictures show a perfect point. Why not!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    2 things to remember AF has to be PW off. With touchless PW is recommended but hose is ok on strongest settling.
    AF has a higher pH (13/14 AF 12 TL)So in case of LSP degradation lower is better.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Being able to use a garden hose with touchless is exactly the reason i went withthouchless over af.

At some point i will try af to make my own assesment of which is better for the conditiins in which i reside. I will say though, for me touchless has truely blown me away at how well it just melts off not on debris but cutting right thru road film and salt/brine.

Ive only tried it on vehicles protected with pure evo and cancoat evo. Cant say how it well the end results might be if your vehicle was unprotected.

After a presoak then high pressure rinse...the winner of self cleaning ability and water behavor as expected pure evo took the win.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Went full circle on this thread and now have to revisit this topic 360 .....as the current fleet is fully ppf'ed - and there are alot of *don't use this disclaimers* on what chems, etc can go on PPF. I have sparingly done spot cleaning of it at times with stuff I should not like (tar remover, or a lower body high ph pre-rinse) but not in the context of full blown *high ph*, let it dwell / rinseoff

Post Thanks / Like

Your original question got me thinking.

For extremely dirty client vehicles i do a "pre" wash i.e. a quick foam and degreaser. I let it dwell a bit in hopes of breaking the bond dirt and road film has on the paint. I then rinse (no contact yet) and follow that up with a second foam and mitt contact wash.

I find it is effective at removing most of the heavier dirt and grime before the more thorough mitt wash.

I don't normally do a pre wash/rinse on most clients as they arrive only mildly dirty.

Post Thanks / Like

No. Why should I?
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know Adam's Strip Wash was reformulated and is now acidic. Recommended for a pre-wash too.

Adam's Polishes Strip Wash Shampoo | Paint Decontamination Soap

"Formula Update: Adam’s Strip Wash is now an acidic wash meaning it will power through tough to remove road films and salt or act as a perfect option for a presoak prior to a contact wash to lift and emulsify contaminants before they can scratch the finish. This formula contains neutralizing agents and corrosion inhibitors to restore the vehicle finish when in the winter months and bombarded with salts such as magnesium chloride."

Looks like good chemistry. I have BH Touchless, Gyeon APC and Gyeon Foam on hand. After I polish and coat, I'm more motivated and cautious to keep scratches at a minimum. So a pre-wash is definitely in my routine. I've been having great success with TL in a sprayer. The common denominator with these pre-washes is the higher pH. The Adam's is more like a Carpro Descale, which I find cleans exceptionally well. I'm tempted to try BH Auto Wash due to the corrosion inhibitors.

Gyeon Total Remover and Traffic Film Remover should be out soon. Interested in the TFR.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive thus far ditched the carpro descale for labocosmetica purifica. It works great. I can mix it to whatever ratio i may need in a pump sprayer and after i presoak/pw off my high alkaline i spray onto paint and then move right into my rinseless wash.

The great part is there is no staining if it drys on the surface before i get to it.

Might have to get gallon of that and primus while on sale

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

13. Likes chilly liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast