autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rinseless washing newbie questions

So......winter is here.....and we are expecting stupid low temperatures within the next few days. I've never done a rinseless wash, but am thinking this is a technique I should become familiar and comfortable with. I've watched a bunch of YT videos on the process, and I have some questions. First....water temperature. Should it be hot, warm or cold......or does it not matter? If available, should I be using distilled water? I will likely oversaturate the panels because I'm worried about marring.....but, like I said...I am a newb at this

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rinseless washing newbie questions

I use warm/distilled but don't think it matters much. I use a Marolex sprayer and really wet the surface well. Throw a bunch of mf towels in the solution or use a sponge etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Water temp = doesn’t matter (above freezing to as warm as you can stand). I usually make it a little warmer if it’s cold out.
    Distilled water = I’ve never seen the need and ONR always said it would soften/neutralize it. If you plan on keeping the solution a long time I might consider it but I usually use up the solution within a week or two.

Don’t worry so much about marring. Making the solution with too much chemical will just make your job harder and I know some people always prespray with solution but I don’t find it needed except for really bad dirt.

Been doing this since about 2009 and my cars look fantastic (if I do say so myself). I’ve got to the point where I hate when I bring out the hose the once or twice a year I do.

4. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any chance you have a DIY car wash near you?
    What I've done last couple winters, hit the DIY to spray off most of the dirt/salt. $2.25 to do that for me.
    Drive home and finish with a rinseless to get her extra clean and shiny.

I use at least warm (tap) water since I'm typically washing in close to freezing temps in my garage.
    I agree with the stack of microfiber towels. I use 5 of them when I do my car. If I didn't pre-rinse, I'd probably up that by a few towels and do smaller sections.
    I fold the towels up a bunch of times so I can keep flipping/folding to get clean sides of the towel for each swipe of surface I'm cleaning.
    By doing that, you can also cut your wash solution in half or so. Instead of 3-4 gallons, ~2 gallons is enough to saturate the 'single use' microfibers, with some to spare.
    Each towel gets used one time, never to return to the wash bucket until they make their trip through the washing machine.

6. Likes chilly, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use warm water mostly because my hands will get wet with it and I want it to be easier on me. I don't use distilled water but I also dump whatever I didn't use of the solution. If I were to keep it for next time, I would probably use distilled though depending on how often you want to wash, that can become a cost and a PITA to go grab a bunch of gallons of it.

I wish I had a spray wash bay near me that I could use to remove the salt when it gets really bad. But the only one we have in our area, closes when temperatures reach freezing point so it's useless in the winter. They offer a "soft cloth" tunnel as an alternative which I'll never use, of course.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Those worried about salt (which is rare here fortunately), have any of you tried Frothe Anti-salt?

Post Thanks / Like

I use distilled water, which is room temperature because it's inside. I use distilled because we have pretty hard water here. I mix up a gallon in a 2 gallon bucket and put my towels in to soak. I presoak with a 2L sprayer. If it was close to freezing, I'd wear nitrile gloves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    Those worried about salt (which is rare here fortunately), have any of you tried Frothe Anti-salt?
    I have it on hand to try this winter. Before, I used regular Frothe + Boost.

10. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odrapnew View Post
    Any chance you have a DIY car wash near you?
    What I've done last couple winters, hit the DIY to spray off most of the dirt/salt. $2.25 to do that for me.
    Drive home and finish with a rinseless to get her extra clean and shiny.
    Not super close...I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere. I gave some thought to this idea.....was gonna fill my IK Foam pro 12 with some Reset and take a ride to the coin op wash......foam it heavy with the Reset....and then use the pressure rinse for the heavy lifting. Then do a rinseless at home in the garage...essentially wat you have suggested.

12. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the car wash thing if your car is pretty dirty but you’d be surprised at what a rinseless can safely wash.

For temp room temp is what i use and my waters not to hard and it’s not going to sit too long so I use tap.

Saturated the panel till your hearts content but just know when you get to much instead of dwelling and breaking down it will want to run off.

I would mist/let dwell 3-4 min/then saturate if it makes you feel better. Make sure to use plenty of towels and to dunk you sponge often if you go that route.

With towels roll your hand from palm down to palm up as your crossing the panel. This will pull dirt away from paint.

What rinseless are you using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    What rinseless are you using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ONR most likely....seemed like a good place to start

16. Likes CleanIT, opie liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast