autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont make my mistake

Hi all, this is embarrassing, but wanted to share it to possibly save someone else from my mistake. I few of the detailing YouTube channels i follow recommend using a scrub pad on glass with stubborn grime. Having seen folks on here recommend 00 steel wool for glass, i figured it would be fine. Yesterday i finally tried it, using a Green Scotchbrite pad. Clearly, i chose the wrong pad. I sprayed the windows with glass cleaner, lightly rubbed them, and used a two towel method to finish. Well, after i had done all 4 door windows, I noticed some scratches, I looked closer, and it looks like someone ran sandpaper over my windows. Ive already tried my glass polish on a heavy cut pad. (knew it wouldnt work but had to try)

So learn from my mistake, DO NOT use a green scotchbrite pad.

2. Likes chilly, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dont make my mistake

sorry man

4. Likes opie, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It happens. We have all been there including me. For glass stripping I have found STONER GLASS STRIPPER completely safe and effective. You can get it locally. For some reason I see AG no longer, has it?
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that even the finest grade of steel wool will scratch auto glass, luckily I did a test spot so my damage was limited to a small area, maybe 5"x5"

Chalk up one for the YouTube "experts"

7. Likes oneheadlite, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the heads up

i recently used a green scrubby on polished aluminum, but I did it on purpose knowing it would dig in....the surface was etched with deep water spots and I knew that green scrubby would be a good start for getting at those etched spots

I would have thought glass would be too stout to be damaged by a scrubby....again, thank you for posting

sometimes we do stupid thing...it's why we need each other

we should start a "really stupid stuff I've done" thread....I could start by telling you about the time I drove a bolt through the front fairing of my beloved harley davidson....i literally started sweating when I realized what I'd done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Mark View Post
    thank you for the heads up

i recently used a green scrubby on polished aluminum, but I did it on purpose knowing it would dig in....the surface was etched with deep water spots and I knew that green scrubby would be a good start for getting at those etched spots

I would have thought glass would be too stout to be damaged by a scrubby....again, thank you for posting

sometimes we do stupid thing...it's why we need each other

we should start a "really stupid stuff I've done" thread....I could start by telling you about the time I drove a bolt through the front fairing of my beloved harley davidson....i literally started sweating when I realized what I'd done
    At least it was my car and not one of my friends. The worst part is that its on my 2021 and not my 20 year old truck -_- It looks like windshield roadrash, I HATE It.Ah well. At least I didnt hit the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 04lss View Post
    Hi all, this is embarrassing, but wanted to share it to possibly save someone else from my mistake. I few of the detailing YouTube channels i follow recommend using a scrub pad on glass with stubborn grime. Having seen folks on here recommend 00 steel wool for glass, i figured it would be fine. Yesterday i finally tried it, using a Green Scotchbrite pad. Clearly, i chose the wrong pad. I sprayed the windows with glass cleaner, lightly rubbed them, and used a two towel method to finish. Well, after i had done all 4 door windows, I noticed some scratches, I looked closer, and it looks like someone ran sandpaper over my windows. Ive already tried my glass polish on a heavy cut pad. (knew it wouldnt work but had to try)

So learn from my mistake, DO NOT use a green scotchbrite pad.
    Ouch.

The white pads are the most aggressive yet still safe from scratching glass. They will remove waterspots safely and last longer than 0000 steel wool as they are also prone to rusting and flaking off dangerous bits that can then get caught in a drying cloth or polishing pad (wouldn't be good)

XERO White Scrub Pads | Abrasives | WCR

If you're looking for something even safer, there's walnut pads.
    XERO Walnut Scrub Pad | Abrasives | WCR
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

At least it was my car and not one of my friends. The worst part is that its on my 2021 and not my 20 year old truck -_- It looks like windshield roadrash, I HATE It.Ah well. At least I didnt hit the windshield.
    Maybe it scratched because it was the 2021, maybe the glass is softer in newer cars. Not that I'm proposing you do a test on your old truck to find out. I bought some Ceriglass to remove a whole bunch of fine scratches from my windscreen. I don't think the previous owner ever cleaned it, other than squirters and wipers, all the fine scratches matched the arc of the wiper blades. Ceriglass removed 90% of them.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Maybe it scratched because it was the 2021, maybe the glass is softer in newer cars. Not that I'm proposing you do a test on your old truck to find out. I bought some Ceriglass to remove a whole bunch of fine scratches from my windscreen. I don't think the previous owner ever cleaned it, other than squirters and wipers, all the fine scratches matched the arc of the wiper blades. Ceriglass removed 90% of them.

I have Griots fine glass polish, and hit it with that, and it didnt even notice.Not sure if ceriglass is stronger or not. I got qouted 500 bucks to replace the front windows... might take them up on that.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Griots fine glass polish, and hit it with that, and it didnt even notice.Not sure if ceriglass is stronger or not. I got qouted 500 bucks to replace the front windows... might take them up on that.
    I have other glass polishes as well, but Ceriglass is definitely stronger, I've only used it once, no other glass was that bad. And it's relatively inexpensive.

CARPRO CeriGlass Polish Kit (150ml) - Skys The Limit Car Care

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast