autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NAME A FEW OF YOUR MOST COVETED TOOLS OF THE TRADE.

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    It’s not from here, but I couldn’t be happier with my wheel detailing stand. I don’t often have to detail wheels off the car, but even if it just gets used when I change all our cars' tires every spring and fall, it will pay for itself in personal satisfaction.

Attachment 76041
    Attachment 76042
    Me too. I gave it to my family so they could wrap it as a Xmas present along with a 50’ expandable hose.

2. Likes SameGuy, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I sure wish I had an iBrid for rims. I suppose I could use my Flex Kompakt but I find rotary is a bit aggressive on all the sharp curves and corners.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    My collection of towels. Each towel has a purpose. In the wintertime, my ice fishing gloves are invaluable. Other tools I cannot live without are my Griots G9, my TuffShine tire brush, my MetroBlaster Sidekick and my chenille wash mitts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    IK Foam Pro 12 w/battery powered air compressor. Since I'm in an apartment this allows me to pre-wash my car, plus I can take it anywhere like the touch-free wash for an even BETTER washNAME A FEW OF YOUR MOST COVETED TOOLS OF THE TRADE.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    My modest 240V 60 gallon is on the way, big change for me! I’ve had compressors and air tools for 30 years, but without adequate flow (volume), there’s only so much I can do (efficiently) — waiting for the 20 gallon tank to top up every 90 seconds of wire-brushing parts gets old in a big hurry!!
    I sure wish I had an iBrid for rims. I suppose I could use my Flex Kompakt but I find rotary is a bit aggressive on all the sharp curves and corners.
    I love that little fu%$er! I need the PXE 1st

5. Likes SameGuy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s not from here, but I couldn’t be happier with my wheel detailing stand. I don’t often have to detail wheels off the car, but even if it just gets used when I change all our cars' tires every spring and fall, it will pay for itself in personal satisfaction.

Attachment 76041
    Attachment 76042
    Now you just need to make a stand for the stand... Get that thing up about waist high and it would be perfect.

Me... My wheel stand is a much simpler and cheaper option... An old plastic trash can.

7. Likes SameGuy, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Now you just need to make a stand for the stand... Get that thing up about waist high and it would be perfect.

Me... My wheel stand is a much simpler and cheaper option... An old plastic trash can.
    Lol yeah I rigged it with a cut-to-fit square of ⅝” plywood to which I rounded the corners and quarter-rounded the edges. I gave it a couple of coats polyurethane varnish. Now I can throw the rig on a milk crate and it’s the right height for my rolling shop stool.
    Francesco

9. Likes 2black1s, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

Just so happens that my truck has a drop side tray, allowing for a large, near perfect work bench. Just the right height for me, done many projects off the back of that thing.

11. Likes SameGuy, dlc95, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Just so happens that my truck has a drop side tray, allowing for a large, near perfect work bench. Just the right height for me, done many projects off the back of that thing.

You have the BEST pics.

I don't have the knowledge or patience to figure it out.

Nice work!

13. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    I couldn't agree more Opie!!! The learning curve is cut in 1/10th's
    The single most coveted tool is my pressure washer setup. I have put a lot of time, money and effort into this setup. Upgrading from an old Karcher, the flow rate and ease of connections transformed my washing process.

Now running Mosmatic gun and wand, MTM foam cannon.

Next, my detailing seat. It was a revelation when I discovered seated wheel cleaning, I went from hating wheel cleaning to loving it! Combined with my bucket setup, I look forward to taking and seat and just enjoying the process.

Sticking with the wheel step, this EZ-Detail GO brush has become a favorite tool for cleaning wheel arches.

On the subject of brushes, I absolutely love the new Detail Factory Tire Scrub Brush. These are slightly more pliable compared to the usual stiff bristle tire brushes, they seem to contour better. I love it so much I bought another for cleaning rubber floor mats.

My Blow Dryer, a big step up for me at the time and a crucial step when dealing with intricate front bumpers and grills. I'm trying out an EGO LB765 at the moment, but I think the dedicated blower is more efficient.

Sticking with air, my air compressor setup has become more and more useful. I added an upgraded hose reel recently, combined with new fittings. Also love the Tornador Basic blow out gun, especially on filthy carpet mats.

And lastly, my sink. This was another pivotal change in my detailing process, allowing me to fill buckets and foam cannons with ease, a workbench for measuring dilutions and filling spray bottles, and an ergonomic place to clean up brushes and other equipment after the detail. Love it!

Beautiful stake bed!!!
    Also I love Maxshine! Very nice products at a fair price!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Utes in Australia put most of our trucks to shame.
    Francesco

16. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Utes in Australia put most of our trucks to shame.
    The use of the word "Ute" is up for contention these days.

Originally, the word Ute was an abbreviation for a car Ford Australia released in the late 1930's as a "Coupe Utility". These vehicles were a combination of the front half of a coupe, but with a pickup bed instead of back seats/trunk. They were distinct from normal pickup trucks owing to their uninterrupted body side panels and the fact they were based on sedans.

Ford Falcon Ute's and Holden Utes that were made from the 1960's all the way till the end of manufacturing in 2017 were uni-body monocoque construction, this made them more civilized to drive than their body-on-frame counterparts. However, from 1999 onwards, Ford made the cabin and tray/tub as separated body side pressings to increase the versatility of the model, offering the traditional tub or the ability to fit a wider alloy or steal tray.

Now, I went to the trouble of saying all that so as to explain where we sit today in terms of the word "Ute".

As the popularity of dual cab, four door pickup trucks skyrocketed over the last decade, these cars are still termed "Ute". In a literal sense, this is incorrect because they are not passenger car based nor do they have a single body side pressing. Australians for some reason have an issue with these vehicles being called "Trucks" because that word is typically used to describe a semi-trailer truck. So, on one hand, people get upset with calling a Ranger a truck, on the other hand people don't like them being referred to as Utes.

I call my Ranger a Pickup Truck, because that's what it is, neither a passenger car-based Ute, neither a semi-trailer-truck. My example is even more specific in that it's sold as a "single-cab-chassis" and fitted with a custom-made steel drop-side tray. That means I can actually use the vehicle for what it was designed to do, in difference to the tiny little tubs fitted to the double/crew cab models.

Sorry, WAY off topic, but as an Australian, "Utes" are in our blood.

18. Thanks SameGuy, opie thanked for this post
    Likes SameGuy, JustJesus, opie liked this post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast