autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

how many of you soak wheel & tire tools in a bucket while cleaning them?

i use to put my brushes to clean wheels & tires in a bucket of water but it deteriorated a few brushes so i no longer do it. the tip fell off off one (exposing a sharp point) and the whole glued head of the bristles of another brush came off (was able to super/krazy glue it back on). i wet the brush/tool i'm going to use then after rinse it off and put in back in the dry bucket. this way it's not sitting in dirty water and having the potential to make the tool come apart and/or deteriorate.

what's your preference?
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how many of you soak wheel & tire tools in a bucket while cleaning them?

I guess I never gave it that much thought. I mix some car soap in that bucket and then put the brushes in there. So far, my brushes have lasted a pretty long time, but I see your point.

3. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep my brushes in a separate bucket with a Grit Guard.

I do my wheels last in the washing process so they are never in there for more than 15-20 minutes.

I never understood the recommendation to do the wheels the first, then wash and rinse the dirt from the body back onto the wheels. JMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a bucket with water and soap when washing wheels. I don't use wooden handle brushes so don't have an issue with them being in water while I wash. All items are rinsed and stored in my cabinet after use.

You can also get bucket storage attachments like pictured here -

6. Likes Coatingsarecrack, Bosko, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like many others, I do my wheels/tires first. I take my wash bucket and put a few inches of water in it and just a splash of soap, then dump my tools in it. (A stiff bristled brush (tires), a soft bristled brush (wheels), a detailing brush (door jams/trunk channels) and an older microfiber).

Actually, I do my door jams and trunk channels FIRST, while the water is still "clean," THEN I move to the wheels and tires. I've never had an issue with my brushes coming apart.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

8. Thanks dgage thanked for this post
    Likes PouncingPanzer, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I leave mine sitting in the bucket and get 2-3 years out of the ferret tail style brushes and my Tuff Shine tire brush(which is literally submerged the entire time) is 9 years old this year and looks new still not even loosing bristles. The rubber tips haven't fallen off but have poked through due to wear and tear, but those are $1 from my main supplier so I just keep two on-hand.

I also have a 9-year-old 1.25" boar hair brush for lug nuts and calipers that sits submerged the entire wash and isn't showing any signs of degradation. This may boil down to the brand more-so than the fact the brushes sit in water for an hour or so at a time.

I know those two brushes are 9 because I got them when I first jumped into the rabbit hole and have yet to replace them.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I keep my brushes in a separate bucket with a Grit Guard.

I do my wheels last in the washing process so they are never in there for more than 15-20 minutes.

I never understood the recommendation to do the wheels the first, then wash and rinse the dirt from the body back onto the wheels. JMO
    I like doing the wheels and tires first because they take longer than washing the remaining car does. For me at least. If the time it took was opposite I would do it the other way around. But mentally I like going "Ok, now for the easy part.". #psyops
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

11. Likes BlackCarBlues liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I as well soak my brushes in a soapy bucket but then I use a power washer to clean them. Not every time but every few. Hang up to dry. My $0.02

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I guess I never gave it that much thought. I mix some car soap in that bucket and then put the brushes in there. So far, my brushes have lasted a pretty long time, but I see your point.
    That is the way I have always done it. No issues.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Brushes in a soap bucket with a grit gaurd in the bottom no issues. Wheels are always first so the water is not sitting on the paint given a chance to spot. Never had an issue with any dirt or grime transfering onto the wheel. But may not be case for others. Used to do wheels last but found it to be better for me to do first.

My thoughts are the wheels and wheel wells are the dirtiest parts of a vehicle so i want to revove that first

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast