autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Expectations of a Mini Polisher?

I recently purchased the MaxShine 2" polisher and the youtube reviews dont seem to show it stalling much unless there is a decent amount of pressure applied.
    Unfortunately I received mine and a small amount of pressure stalls the thing, its really unable to remove any paint swirls at all because you cant apply any pressure.

I contacted the company, but what exactly should my expectations be for mini polishers? Should I expect them to be able to remove swirls without too much trouble, or are they really just meant for very light swirling?

I just didnt see for a non-professional that I need to spend $650 on the iBrid for a casual polish once every few years.

Thoughts/experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Expectations of a Mini Polisher?

When using 1” or 2” pads you’ll have similar experience with any of them unless you use the rotary mode. The DA will stall easily but those tiny pads do the work without much pressure. If correction is really necessary then use rotary mode and if that leaves haze, then use DA just to clean it up.
    Bruno Soares

3. Likes chilly, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a heavier cream and spend more time with less pressure to get better/ faster results.....seems to work for me.
    It's a bit frustrating, but it seems to work in the long run..

5. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Return it. You could go purchase a ibrid or a flex pxe80. Could also purchase a rotary, then you can run those small pads and or have the means to do more heavy correction should the need ever arrise. Thats the way i went. Glad i did. May be differnet for you though

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

7. Likes bill walsh, John U liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    When using 1” or 2” pads you’ll have similar experience with any of them unless you use the rotary mode. The DA will stall easily but those tiny pads do the work without much pressure. If correction is really necessary then use rotary mode and if that leaves haze, then use DA just to clean it up.
    Thanks - I'll give the rotary function a try. I have the Rupes LHR75e which does almost all other areas, so I don't have much to do, hence not wanting to spend $650 on the rupes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
    Thanks - I'll give the rotary function a try. I have the Rupes LHR75e which does almost all other areas, so I don't have much to do, hence not wanting to spend $650 on the rupes

On most cars I can do the tight areas with the LHR75E with no problems. I can't remember when I needed the Nano except for some grill louvers.

10. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

another option, that is way easier on the wallet, is the Griot's G8. You can use it with 2" and 3" pads, both backing plates included in the box.

For 1" they offer a separate 1" backing plate attached (permanently) to a small extension.

8mm orbit

12. Likes chilly, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back off on the pressure. Just make sure that pad is moving. There is a balance, a dance between the pad, and the paint, with the light film of polish being the interface between the two surfaces.

When I'm polishing or cutting paint, I'm trying to be cognizant of what's happening at the point of contact, the orbits, the rotation, and how the paint is being removed.

In essence, I'm trying to use as little pressure as possible to remove paint. I find that I get more movement from the pad this way. It never made sense to me to mash the pad farther into the paint than the scratches are. Meaning. If the scratches are "weight of the tool deep", why would I push past the panel? Just wasting energy and creating more heat than needed.

It works for people, sure, but there are more roads to Rome than the ones the guides show.

14. Likes Bruno Soares, oneheadlite, chilly, bbmach, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this the same tool that Adams sells. If it is it sure seems to stall when they show it on videos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Is this the same tool that Adams sells. If it is it sure seems to stall when they show it on videos.
    From the outside, there are some similarities, but also differences. In particular, the speed adjustment dials are different, as is the outer casing design and bolt holes. Having said that, I would not be surprised if they were the same machine under the skin and made in the same Chinese factory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast