autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stoner Car Care getting in on the Sio2 frenzy

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    I think where Meg's went wrong was with the marketing and packaging...it's way to confusing to the "Average" Joe that wants to wax their car.

Standing in the automotive car cleaning isle staring at 65 products, it literally is the last "Box" I would pick not being educated in paint protection.

"2 products in one box....URGH!...do what first.....Meh...how long to wait until I rub off?.......PASS!!!"

This turtle wax spray bottle looks cool......I'll pick this....

It's just one of those products that is lost in the abyss "Pro consumer"...Entry level Pro"
    Yeah I feel this product was doom to fail. Most Autozone detailers don’t wanna drop $65 (even $40) on paint protection.

Most prosumers have “graduated from Meguiars and chemical guys.

So the people who have access either don’t spend the money or feel they’re too good….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Bosko, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Sio2. Roughly 25%. Don’t know what the carrier agent is or if it also has polysiloxane.

I use Kamikaze overcoat which is a coating maintenance product with siloxane but don’t know if that’s the same.

For the price of KO I would just use Meg's Hybrid......product seems way over priced IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Yeah i've come to the conclusion that if you can't wash your car every 2-3 weeks a ceramic coating is a waste of money and effort. For instance, my car will be sitting out in the Canadian elements now for about the next 4mths before i drive her again or wash her. I will get my father to take the car for a drive every few weeks however. Lots of different situations.

Personally, i'm probably going back to AIO's. Excited to try the Rupes UNO Advanced next year. I will top it with rapidwaxx. I still have about 400ml left! Very nice product and beads just as well as cancoat IME. I'm not a beadhead anyhow. I like shiny paint.

I'll polish the car whenever i feel like it with something like UNO Advanced.
    Yeah sometimes I think just adding PA or Kamikaze Overcoat monthly is the answer. Only sealant type products I’ve used with coating like beading and self cleaning.

5. Likes noorth, CleanIT liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah sometimes I think just adding PA or Kamikaze Overcoat monthly is the answer. Only sealant type products I’ve used with coating like beading and self cleaning.

I wish cosmic spritz was cheaper!

Did you see the new color code spritz? Looks cool but it's way over my head.

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    For the price of KO I would just use Meg's Hybrid......product seems way over priced IMO
    It is expensive but the can will last forever. I’ve read 1-2 cars for the HPC. The OC will do a car monthly for over 2 years I bet.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish cosmic spritz was cheaper!

Did you see the new color code spritz? Looks cool but it's way over my head.
    Not sure I believe in CC but might try one of there Carnauba Arts one.

10. Likes noorth liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I believe in CC but might try one of there Carnauba Arts one.

Looking over the SDS on the PA stuff they all seem to share the basic ingredients. Even rapidwaxx as Tio2 and Sio2. Just cosmic has a higher concentration. No chemist however lol

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What did you use to decon? Seems awful fast to wear or need a decon. Maybe new Evo not as good as old stuff Stoner Car Care getting in on the Sio2 frenzy

When it needed decon on me I had to use something alkaline to wake it up

I used TW Rapid Decon.

Water behavior is still really great on all other panels. It was just the lower half of the doors which, from what I understand, is a troublesome area for any coating so I wasn't too surprised. Plus, like I said, he hadn't washed it since I detailed it a couple months ago so all that bonded muck just breaking down that protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    I used TW Rapid Decon.

Water behavior is still really great on all other panels. It was just the lower half of the doors which, from what I understand, is a troublesome area for any coating so I wasn't too surprised. Plus, like I said, he hadn't washed it since I detailed it a couple months ago so all that bonded muck just breaking down that protection.
    Iron removers and iron wheel cleaners are normally PH neutral, TWRD is.

To get rid of stubborn road film an Alkaline product is usually the ticket.

Mckee’s coating prep soap worked well for me

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i've come to the conclusion that if you can't wash your car every 2-3 weeks a ceramic coating is a waste of money and effort. For instance, my car will be sitting out in the Canadian elements now for about the next 4mths before i drive her again or wash her. I will get my father to take the car for a drive every few weeks however. Lots of different situations.

Personally, i'm probably going back to AIO's. Excited to try the Rupes UNO Advanced next year. I will top it with rapidwaxx. I still have about 400ml left! Very nice product and beads just as well as cancoat IME. I'm not a beadhead anyhow. I like shiny paint.

I'll polish the car whenever i feel like it with something like UNO Advanced.
    One thing to consider is that a coating will still offer better protection regardless of how often its washed. Jumping through maintenance hoops is more for the sake of watching the beads and keeping them small and tight. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter what it looks like as long as itsdoing the job of protecting paint.

The visuals probable carry a higher perceptive currency as to the protection being present, and the level of protection provided. People see small tight beads and the feedback is that of reassurance of maximum protection. This however has no actual merit in reality. The point of the ceramic is to be the sacrificial barrier. It's supposed to take the brunt of the abuse. The guys that are constantly baying and fussing over the beads on their ceramic coating might not even benefit from it's attributes, because they so thoroughly and meticulously keep their cars maintained. They could probably use some carnauba wax and call it a day.

The Audi that's in my garage right now was one of my first ceramic coating jobs. I upgraded the service so I could try the coating. It was one of three cars I did that with in 2017. He is my gf's former employer and this is the fourth time I've done his car. The ceramic coating was the only one that truly resisted the car wash equipment.

1st time - Rupes 808 + Zymol Carbon
    2nd time - Optimun Gloss Coat
    3rd time - Meguiar's M26 Paste
    4th time - Not sure yet. I'm thinking Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax or Carpro Lite.

But the Gloss Coat really kept the wash damage to a minium. I wonder sometimes if the damage was in the coating and not in the paint.

I think a lot of people would be happy with a product whose sole mission was to create tiny, tight beads that will endure anything and everything for the life of the vehicle - regardless of any actual protection to the paint it provides. Not that there is anything wrong with it. Just doesn't make much sense to fetishize water behavior so much, when you consider the function of a wax, sealant, or coating is to first protect the finish. The water behavior is provably more of an after thought to the chemist, historically. Or at the very least, a secondary consideration.

16. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, chilly, noorth, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123