autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Buying a used hood.

I would of thought you were nuts if you told me you bought a hood for testing products 15 years ago.
    But with the advancement in toppings/coatings I see how a hood can really help setting the bar. I want it mainly for demoing. But think it would be a great way to test pads techniques and of course products.
    I know some of you guys have one and was curious to see where you sourced yours?
    Also if you were able to get one in good enough shape or needed to paint it?
    Lastly color you have. I'm guessing black for obvious reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buying a used hood.

If I were looking for a used hood for your stated purpose, I'd check some local body shops first. Hoods are typically replaced on collision repairs even when they have only slight damage. You could probably get one with only minor damage from a body shop for next to nothing.

If you can't find one through a body shop, try some local wrecking yards.

And color? Black would my first choice; followed by any solid, non-metallic, color (the darker the better); next would be any metallic color (again, darker is better); and last - any white.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two fenders that were in rough shape that I was able to get from a junkyard for free

I haven’t practiced on them in years though. They’re sitting in my garage attic
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    If I were looking for a used hood for your stated purpose, I'd check some local body shops first. Hoods are typically replaced on collision repairs even when they have only slight damage. You could probably get one with only minor damage from a body shop for next to nothing.

If you can't find one through a body shop, try some local wrecking yards.

And color? Black would my first choice; followed by any solid, non-metallic, color (the darker the better); next would be any metallic color (again, darker is better); and last - any white.
    That is why I posted up. You just gave me an excellent idea! I have an auto body guy that just did some work for me. Super cool cat and I know he will come across one. Also I have an airless and have never painted cars before. What's your thought on painting it if it's in rough shape and not an ideal color?
    Thanks again for the tip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    That is why I posted up. You just gave me an excellent idea! I have an auto body guy that just did some work for me. Super cool cat and I know he will come across one. Also I have an airless and have never painted cars before. What's your thought on painting it if it's in rough shape and not an ideal color?
    Thanks again for the tip
    If you were to paint whatever you get, it needs to be a reasonable quality paint job. If not, then I don't see how it could be used to assess a polishing product or process. Your test piece really needs to be somewhat representative of the actual vehicles that you're going to work on.

I may be wrong, but I don't think an airless sprayer is going to cut it. The airless sprayers I'm aware of are for house paints. Automotive paints are an entirely different animal.

Post Thanks / Like

My bad, I said that wrong. It's a gravity auto sprayer. You make a good point. I'm just going to hope for a decent one or see what he would charge to paint it with no finish work.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a hood on you vehicle(s)?
    Right there is your testing hood IMO...why buy a separate hood that sits outside in you backyard.
    Real world conditions on a real world hood.....

I suppose if you wanted to test creams and pads that would be another reason, but those are going to be clear coat specific to that one hood only.

8. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    Right there is your testing hood IMO...why buy a separate hood that sits outside in you backyard.

I suppose if you wanted to test creams and pads that would be another reason, but those are going to be clear coat specific to that one hood only.
    Agreed, i used a test hood at my buddy body shop to practice using a rotary when i first got mine. Other than that no point really for test panels imo.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

10. Likes Bosko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My truck has enough miles on it, where I'm willing to use it as a test vehicle for products. I'd buy a hood, or a fender, to practice things I'm not that proficient at/familiar with...like wet sanding. I've done a little, but still do not feel comfortable doing it on a customers car.

To your original question...I'd hit up body shops first. Sheet metal is so frail on modern vehicles that you can get a hood or a fender with only minor damage that has been replaced. Any panel that can't be resold due to damage takes a legit beating in a scrap yard....best to get your hands on it before it gets there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    My truck has enough miles on it, where I'm willing to use it as a test vehicle for products. I'd buy a hood, or a fender, to practice things I'm not that proficient at/familiar with...like wet sanding. I've done a little, but still do not feel comfortable doing it on a customers car.

To your original question...I'd hit up body shops first. Sheet metal is so frail on modern vehicles that you can get a hood or a fender with only minor damage that has been replaced. Any panel that can't be resold due to damage takes a legit beating in a scrap yard....best to get your hands on it before it gets there
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post

I want to let Zeus (My dog) Run on top of it. Don't really feel that would be something I'd want him to do on my personal.
    Coarse Rotary Combinations [RUPES Product Spotlight] - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast