autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Clear coats?

Post Thanks / Like

Clear coats?

Hey guys,

I have been reading up as much as possible everywhere to learn more about polishing and general detailing techniques. One of the questions out of the long list that I have is how do you know if a car has a soft or hard clear coat? It seems as if you have to really plan how your are going to start polishing (ex: what polish, what pad, etc.) before you just start polishing. Do you have to have a paint gauge to really know or do you just start with a light cutting pad and polish and see how it looks then go from there? Sorry for the nooby question guys. I will have many more to come so bare with me please.

Thanks,
    HCP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear coats?

Quote Originally Posted by RIDE3311 View Post
    Hey guys,

I have been reading up as much as possible everywhere to learn more about polishing and general detailing techniques. One of the questions out of the long list that I have is how do you know if a car has a soft or hard clear coat? It seems as if you have to really plan how your are going to start polishing (ex: what polish, what pad, etc.) before you just start polishing. Do you have to have a paint gauge to really know or do you just start with a light cutting pad and polish and see how it looks then go from there? Sorry for the nooby question guys. I will have many more to come so bare with me please.

Thanks,
    HCP
    best advice is give urself plunty of time to tinker with certain combinations. Start ur swirl remover or polish with a very light cut pad(i.e. White Lake country CCS pad.)and work ur way to a more abrasive cutting pad.(i.e. Orange CCS pad)
    Just the weekend hobbyist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RIDE3311 View Post
    One of the questions out of the long list that I have is how do you know if a car has a soft or hard clear coat?
    Experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Diagnosis is the key; not guesswork; the most important first step in the process of paint surface renovation is diagnosing the paint surface; density of clear coat (hard or soft) or single stage paint, surface condition; severity of the scratches and the paint thickness available will dictate the choice and abrasiveness of polish / compound for correction or renovation level required or indeed possible. Before commencing polishing do a test panel on the car, once you have achieved the desired results with the chosen polish / pad combination proceed always keeping in mind 'least abrassive first'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Diagnosis is the key; not guesswork; the most important first step in the process of paint surface renovation is diagnosing the paint surface; density of clear coat (hard or soft) or single stage paint, surface condition; severity of the scratches and the paint thickness available will dictate the choice and abrasiveness of polish / compound for correction or renovation level required or indeed possible. Before commencing polishing do a test panel on the car, once you have achieved the desired results with the chosen polish / pad combination proceed always keeping in mind 'least abrassive first'
    Thank you for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detailing View Post
    Experience.