autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Time to retire my edgeless towels?

I have had the same microfiber towels for years, my one dozen blue edgeless towels seem to be holding up well after years of use and dozens and dozens of washes. No fraying or tears on the edges. No stains. Soft and plush as can be. They look like the day I unboxed them.

However, they are starting to leave lint behind on the car that doesn't like blowing off, and requires follow-up with a different towel. Small tiny bits of lint that are only visible in certain light or angles. My wash process is the same as always, hand wash setting, light soil, with two rinse cycles and air dry only. My guess is I just need to start rotating in new towels. I dropped a lot of $$$ all at once and have basically been good on towels since that day.

Any tips or tricks on getting your towels to stop leaving lint behind?
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to retire my edgeless towels?

in another life, i painted and I was pretty picky about what I left behind....lint off rollers are a thing, and they can leave boogers in your newly painted wall

before a new roller cover went into paint, I wrapped it in tape, then pulled it off, pulling everything that is loose with it, maybe a lint roller or tape wrapped backwards around your hand could be used to de-lint your cloth before use?

I have some MFs that are years old, I inspect them before using, and the are all pretty solid

I'm curious, how do you care for them after use?

3. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a few started leaving fibers behind,not sure if they got over heated in dryer,I use delicate cycle.
    After 6 yrs of service I just pitched them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 302 View Post
    After 6 yrs of service I just pitched them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Dont pitch them- use them on wheels, just not on paint. I have paint only towels and 2nd tier towels. When I decide that a 1st tier paint towel is through, it goes into the second tier stack / bag. When I use my towels , they go into one of two laundry bags. 1st & second tier get washed separately.
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

6. Likes PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    Dont pitch them- use them on wheels, just not on paint. I have paint only towels and 2nd tier towels. When I decide that a 1st tier paint towel is through, it goes into the second tier stack / bag. When I use my towels , they go into one of two laundry bags. 1st & second tier get washed separately.
    i have two big storage bins, one are mf cloths i would use on paint, the other bin are ones that are dirty but when I wash them properly, I will use on paint again

the rest are rags, and many new MF's get used once and become rags, if I use a MF to clean road grime, brake dust, and dirt out of mag wheels on my motorcycle, those MFs never touch the bike again, paint and chrome accents on wheels still have a finish that you need to be careful with, so i don't use junk MF to clean them, i try to keep them as nice as possible by washing them like I'm protecting a clear coat

I've also used a lot of MF one time to apply sealants or coatings, if the product is supposed to put a hard coating on a paint surface, what's it leave behind when it dries in the nooks and crannies of a MF cloth? I worry about stuff like that, not sure definitively, but i'd rather err on the side of caution

Post Thanks / Like

Lance Mark beat me to it, a lint roller will definitely help mitigate the fine lint left behind. If it doesn’t help enough, definitely don’t toss them. Just demote them to another task.
    I have quite an investment in MF’s as well and I hate throwing a towel out unless it is unsafe to use or if I think it will contaminate my washer.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

9. Likes PouncingPanzer, PaulMys, DFB, luckydawg, opie and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Mark View Post
    in another life, i painted and I was pretty picky about what I left behind....lint off rollers are a thing, and they can leave boogers in your newly painted wall

before a new roller cover went into paint, I wrapped it in tape, then pulled it off, pulling everything that is loose with it, maybe a lint roller or tape wrapped backwards around your hand could be used to de-lint your cloth before use?

I have some MFs that are years old, I inspect them before using, and the are all pretty solid

I'm curious, how do you care for them after use?
    After use they get tossed in a Tide laundry bag until I have enough to justify a load. I use Micro-Restore and have only ever used that save a small stint with Carpros microfiber and pad cleaner.

Cool water. Hand wash cycle(so gentile) and two rinses. I also have very soft water thanks to Kinectico.

I never thought about tape, or perhaps a lint roller...
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

11. Likes Lance Mark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Lance Mark beat me to it, a lint roller will definitely help mitigate the fine lint left behind. If it doesn’t help enough, definitely don’t toss them. Just demote them to another task.
    I have quite an investment in MF’s as well and I hate throwing a towel out unless it is unsafe to use or if I think it will contaminate my washer.

Post Thanks / Like

I did say "retire", not toss

They will be demoted is all. They are currently in my "paintwork" microfiber drawer but will probably go down to the "dirty work" drawer which is door jams, wheels, etc.

14. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post

Man that last photo says it all! You certainly have scads of 'em

BTW- Looking for some of the discontinued Rupes green ( medium ) pads-- got any in that pile you would separate with?
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast