autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish before coating?

Yeah apparently ValuGard ABC get’s surface completely clean and from my understanding it is just a Acid wash, alkaline wash and a ph neutral wash.

Through in a iron remover and tar remover and I think you would be good to go on a new car or garage queen.

On a daily though I wouldn’t think all this would not remove all the bonded contamination. Would need at minimum a clay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Meh, to me it's the difference between doing it and doing it right. YMMV. Right up there with you don't need to ceramic coat it at all, just use spray on sealants, etc.

I guarantee even on a brand new car if I did a 50/50 right down the middle, the owner would have a far more enjoyable and rewarding experience on the polished and coated side than on the non polished and coated side. Especially as it relates to day to day appearance and care.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

3. Likes CleanIT, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone is arguing the point that you should polish, it looks better, and its the right thing to do if investing the money on a coating. They are simply saying polishing isn't a required step. Bare minimum requirement vs what should be done.

For the home hobbyist, there may be a situation where they might need to apply a coating in less than ideal circumstances and it's good for them to know it will be OK. I've been there.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I don't think anyone is arguing the point that you should polish, it looks better, and its the right thing to do if investing the money on a coating. They are simply saying polishing isn't a required step. Bare minimum requirement vs what should be done.

For the home hobbyist, there may be a situation where they might need to apply a coating in less than ideal circumstances and it's good for them to know it will be OK. I've been there.
    Right. What I wasn't aware of, specifically, was the bonding part. In their experience, polishing does not help the bond, which goes against everything I thought.

I think once you do a full polish, and apply a coating, if the paint is still looking good to you (subjective) after the coating wears off, then just put on another layer. I will likely go that route with Can Coat.

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    Right. What I wasn't aware of, specifically, was the bonding part. In their experience, polishing does not help the bond, which goes against everything I thought.

I think once you do a full polish, and apply a coating, if the paint is still looking good to you (subjective) after the coating wears off, then just put on another layer. I will likely go that route with Can Coat.
    Disagree with bonding. Something is not going to bond as well if you have contaminants on the surface. Self cleaning ability and water behavior will not be as it should. Longevity/durability will be less than. Same with look. All basically as ttq b4u had stated.

Will it work? Sure...can you do it sure? Same goes for applying a wax or sealant. Just dont expect the same results.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

9. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Disagree with bonding. Something is not going to bond as well if you have contaminants on the surface. Self cleaning ability and water behavior will not be as it should. Longevity/durability will be less than. Same with look. All basically as ttq b4u had stated.

Will it work? Sure...can you do it sure? Same goes for applying a wax or sealant. Just dont expect the same results.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    I don't disagree and I'm not as experienced as most on here, but Esoteric makes the case that bonding is not an issue. However, a full decon short of polish is necessary.

"In our many years of experience working with coatings, working with manufacturers on product development, and testing coatings with and without polishing, we have found no differences in durability. And to Dennis B's comment, this video is talking about whether or not polishing is essential to coating...and it is not. Will you get better looks? Absolutely. But is it absolutely necessary...not at all."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Bare minimum requirement vs what should be done.
    Look, I get it, my point is simply that anyone working with a Ceramic coating and staying with the bare minimum is like buying a 911 Turbo and never driving it. You May as well save your money and efforts as the end results won't be anywhere near what they would be to simply run a polisher over it. Can it be done, sure, I suppose, but why? YMMV.

IMO the more common debate would be does one need to perform a full paint correction vs a basic non-corrective polish and the answer there is still a no.

Fun thread. Pic is for attention but in reality, it is true

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

12. Likes CleanIT, opie, Desertnate, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^truth LOL

Post Thanks / Like

when i got the detailing bug a few years back, i felt like it was like that children's book "If you give a mouse a cookie....

If you want a brilliant shine, you need a good LSP, but if you put an LSP on it, you should prep the surface, before you prep, you may want to correct and polish, but don't do that unless you've clay barred the surface, now a clay bar can pick up particulates and mar the clear coat, so before you clay bar, consider applying an iron remover and a bug and tar remover as well, before you that, let's talk washes and microfibers.....

I've always assumed you could seal up or coat a crappy marred up clear coat, just need to prep it....but why would you do that in the name of all things holy and good?

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The part I was interested in and surprised by was not whether one should or shouldn't polish, but rather, would a coating bond to a non-polished surface. And the answer appears to be yes, with no issues.

I would always polish before applying a coating, but subsequent applications I would evaluate the paint first and if it is in good shape per my standards, I would just re-apply it and save the clear coat (and time/$).

17. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast