autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tires turning brown

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    You were already provided a lot of good suggestions for tire cleaners in your other thread HERE where you also talked about "browning tires" (granted it was for a different reason). Doesn't matter though, a browning tire is a browning tire.

My recommendation from your other thread still stands: Turtle Wax Hyper Foam Wheel and Tire Cleaner. Buy it from AG or run to your local Walmart or AP store and buy a bottle right now and give it a shot for yourself. Clean the tires multiple times until foam is white. Then you'll know its clean.
    This is some good chit!!! I wouldn’t use for a maintenance wash but on extremely dirty tires or prepping them for a coating it’s hard to go wrong…and it prices very reasonable too.

JF

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Agree on the Turtle Wax Hyper Foam Wheel and tire cleaner is it. Great prep for a deep cleaning. Used this Sunday before applying their spray tire coating. Mothers back to black tire cleaner is also another good product.

Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner (autogeek.net)
    2018 Colorado ZR2

3. Likes evo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used 2 other tire cleaning products with very good results and recommend them: 1) Mckees 37 Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator 2) Meguire's Non-Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner.
    Because the Meguire's is a concentrate, a one gallon jug has lasted me at least a couple years and is a really great value.

I find that the most critical step to get rid of browning is to spray the wet tire with the cleaner, agitate it with a tire brush, rinse it off, and then repeat this step until the tire cleaner stops turning brown during the agitation with the brush. I usually find 3 times is the charm, but once in a while I will have to repeat a 4th time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post

I find that the most critical step to get rid of browning is to spray the wet tire with the cleaner, agitate it with a tire brush, rinse it off, and then repeat this step until the tire cleaner stops turning brown during the agitation with the brush. I usually find 3 times is the charm, but once in a while I will have to repeat a 4th time.
    How often do you do a deep cleaning? What do you do in between?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    You were already provided a lot of good suggestions for tire cleaners in your other thread HERE where you also talked about "browning tires" (granted it was for a different reason). Doesn't matter though, a browning tire is a browning tire.

My recommendation from your other thread still stands: Turtle Wax Hyper Foam Wheel and Tire Cleaner. Buy it from AG or run to your local Walmart or AP store and buy a bottle right now and give it a shot for yourself. Clean the tires multiple times until foam is white. Then you'll know its clean.
    You are exactly correct! I will try extremely hard in the future to not post repeat questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Most dedicated tire products will do a good job. You just need to use a stick bristle brush to agitate and rinse. A second application will let you know if all the browning is gone.

Once the tires are clean, use a tire coating to have long term protection. Tires will turn brown when the protection is gone and the rubber is exposed to air. If you use a water based product, you have to re-apply pretty much every week. If you go with a silicone based dressing, it lasts longer, maybe a month or two. Coatings will give you months of protection, between 6 to 12 months depending how the tires are washed and how exposed to the elements the car is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    If you use a water based product, you have to re-apply pretty much every week. If you go with a silicone based dressing, it lasts longer, maybe a month or two.
    I will get a week or twoout of megs m40.

Be aware if you use a silicone based tire product, it will promote faster dry rotting of the tire.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I started to notice this on my tires when I first started using dedicated pre-washes. I have to apply trim and tire dressings more frequently these days. I use a dedicated tire cleaner(Tuf Shine) only periodically, say once every six washes or so. In between there they get hit with the pre-washes obviously and OPC at only 1:10 and I use a Tuf Shine tire brush. My tires would probably be brown and splotchy too if I didn't keep up with the 303 monthly. As I have said elsewhere I plan to use a more durable dressing once out of the 303.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    I have used 2 other tire cleaning products with very good results and recommend them: 1) Mckees 37 Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator 2) Meguire's Non-Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner.
    Because the Meguire's is a concentrate, a one gallon jug has lasted me at least a couple years and is a really great value.

I kept my gallon of M143 around for a couple years, maybe three even, and noticed it started to change color and get darker and darker. I used other products and I just lost sight of it. I tossed it. Contacted Megs later on about other products I had laying around inquiring as to their shelf life and I was told most of their products last five years roughly. I guess I could've tried to use it still...
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Try using Tuff Shine Tire cleaner to get the browning out. It may take a few applications. Are these new tires? If so, run them for a month before cleaning.
    Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner is great as it also removes any previously applied gels or dressings. Another good tip is to do multiple passes on each tire. If I am cleaning a tire by hand, I'll scrub/rinse at least 3 times until the suds from scrubbing are all white. Machine Scrubbing I usually need two passes to get the tires deep cleaned. Once they fully dry I typically put a tire sealant on, which gives me 2-3 weeks of a nice look before it begins to fade.
    Michael W.
    Autogeek Customer Service Manager
    (772) 247-3421
    Michael@autogeek.com

12. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast