autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Need some advice on topping (or not) P&S Legend

All:

Just coated a couple new vehicles with P&S Legend. I think the coating itself is brilliant, and certainly the best I have used. I did as directed and sprayed Bead Maker after each wash as a drying aid. After a couple months, I did a Reset wash, and noticed the coating itself has considerably better hydrophobic properties when clean (no BM).

So now I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to maintain this coating, and get the full 5 year alleged life, WHILE maintaining the level of hydrophobicity afforded by the coating itself. I like using something as a drying aid just to get the last few drops off the paint after my Ego blower. I just picked up Gyeon Quick Detailer to try out.

What are most folks doing to maintain these longer lasting coatings? Do I just top it with Sole annually or something, and use nothing else? Or is it better to have something sacrificial over top of the coating?

Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some advice on topping (or not) P&S Legend

Bead Maker is the topper that P&S recommends. It won't have the level of hydrophobicity as the coating and the longevity is not that great. The beauty is it is a spray and can be used as often as needed. There was a statement made by Renny or someone at P&S some years back that Bead Maker extended the life of inspiration by 1.5 years.

It is always a good idea to do a decon wash ideally quarterly to keep the coating as fresh as possible.

You don't need to top it with Sole annually. That would be optional but with a good and deep decon wash.

The other option is use Bead Maker less often and incorporate something like Dream Maker into your maintenance regiment. A coating does not need to be topped on a weekly basis.

3. Likes PaulMys, DFB, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

It is always a good idea to do a decon wash ideally quarterly to keep the coating as fresh as possible.

You don't need to top it with Sole annually. That would be optional but with a good and deep decon wash.

The other option is use Bead Maker less often and incorporate something like Dream Maker into your maintenance regiment. A coating does not need to be topped on a weekly basis.
    So it's really kind of a decision point whether to keep something on it like BM, and accept the slight degradation in performance, or keep the coating bare, and top it annually after a decon. Since I have two cars in the same situation, maybe I'll try out both strategies this year and see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Feel free to use the topper of your choice. Just know the coating will always have better performance and hydrophobics that whatever is used on top.

6. Likes Hantra, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I say stop using BM on top since its obviously altering the water behavior. Let the coating do its thing. Perform your maintenance washes on a regular basis and keep a close watch on water behavior. As Guz said, decon wash quarterly.

As for picking up the left over water droplets from blow drying, you can use your favorite soft drying towel and BLOT dry if your concerned with marring without a drying aid. For areas such as the roof and hood, you can lay the towel flat and drag the towel using its own weight. In my opinion there is no need for concern. As long as you follow a good practice and use common sense when drying you'll be perfectly fine. You really only need to skim the surface with the towel so that the fibers absorb the droplets. Heaving rubbing and wiping isn't needed.

8. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way there is a benefit to topping up a coating. But then there are those that complicate this process and over think it.

Best practice is to follow the manufacturers maintenance recommendations.

10. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Hantra, PaulMys, DFB, dwaleke, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    By the way there is a benefit to topping up a coating. But then there are those that complicate this process and over think it.
    Isn't that what we're all doing here? How often should one use a topper?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hantra View Post
    Isn't that what we're all doing here? How often should one use a topper?
    Why do you think so many people have issues Need some advice on topping (or not) P&S Legend

Once a month would be fine.

13. Thanks Hantra thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, DFB, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I lifted this from another thread, in this case Gyeon for their coating recommend applying a maintenance product (Bathe+/Wet Coat/Cure/ once a month to ensure you meet the durability claims.

In your case, I would use Bead Maker once a month. Staying with the P&S theme, look at using Paint Gloss or Dream Maker in between, both of those would simply wash off in rain or at the next wash, meaning they would allow the coating to do the work.

I actually really like Paint Gloss as a drying aid, and I personally think it offers more lubrication than Dream Maker.

15. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Hantra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Bead Maker on top of a coating simply because it’s so slick and the bee pollen poo doesn’t adhere to the surface. If it ever rained here, I like that it doesn’t bead that well. And lastly, the obvious, it’s glossy and has short longevity.

17. Likes DFB liked this post