autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm about done with ceramic coatings, not worth it , need suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Coatings are more susceptible to water spots....especially during the first two weeks of the curing process. That's why gyeon Recommend cure. Just like crack said.

That could a possiblilty why you had spotting issues. I know I had a water spotting issue one time I did not use cure. Every time since then I've used care and never had one issue

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

if you read the instruction on the website , gyeon only recommends pure of you are doing an outdoor application and there is a possibility of rain in the next 24 hours. These 2 cars were park inside a garage for 48 hours and none of them saw rain the first 4 days. But again, goes back to the same statement, you need to use something to protect the coating ..

i may as well just use cure by itself. The hydrophobic properties on my car will be the ones of the top layer which in this case would be cure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
    if you read the instruction on the website , gyeon only recommends pure of you are doing an outdoor application and there is a possibility of rain in the next 24 hours. These 2 cars were park inside a garage for 48 hours and none of them saw rain the first 4 days. But again, goes back to the same statement, you need to use something to protect the coating ..

i may as well just use cure by itself. The hydrophobic properties on my car will be the ones of the top layer which in this case would be cure
    Correct. Also to note...have you ever kept your coating aplicator from after applying pure?

I have multiple times and it literally takes damn near the full two weeks for it to become rock hard. Something i thought was interesting.

I use cure every time as a piece of mind no matter weather it sits inside for 48 hrs or not. To each there own though.

I would not waste the money on using cure by itself, it would be to extpensive. I would just use 3d bead it up.

And remember you do not need to always top a coating. Ppl do it because they want to.

Again, to each their own.

3. Thanks rick100 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    Sorry but Si02 sprays do nothing better than a quality coating.

They don't bead nor sheet as good.

Longevity is a whole lot less.

Protection is mediocre at best.

They do not give the same look and appearance.

The self cleaning is not close to the same level.

I honestly don't know how people struggle with coatings these days....
    Disagree with all the statements except for longevity and maybe protection

Protection against real environment is almost the same. They scratch as easy . They still water spot. Maybe against chemicals but that is just a maybe since my bmw had opticoating and it still etched on the trunk after something dropped there. We still dont know what it was

In term of looks , sorry but thats a myth. Look at the pictures . My brothers car looks exactly the same , cant tell the difference that one panel is not coated. Even the optó coating on my bmw was the same. I had to repolished one day and only applied reload after. Couldnt tell the difference

Hydrophobic and self cleaning is another myth. After a rain the whole car looks exactly the same. I blow dey my audi and the water moves out exactly the same. On top of that a lot of people use toppers so wouldnt the clearcoat adhere rhe characteristics of the top layer???

Anyways that’s just my experience

In the case of opticoating on my white bmw. It was actually done by a pro .

5. Likes CleanIT, glen e, ddsski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
    Disagree with all the statements except for longevity and maybe protection

Protection against real environment is almost the same. They scratch as easy . They still water spot. Maybe against chemicals but that is just a maybe since my bmw had opticoating and it still etched on the trunk after something dropped there. We still dont know what it was

In term of looks , sorry but thats a myth. Look at the pictures . My brothers car looks exactly the same , cant tell the difference that one panel is not coated. Even the optó coating on my bmw was the same. I had to repolished one day and only applied reload after. Couldnt tell the difference

Hydrophobic and self cleaning is another myth. After a rain the whole car looks exactly the same. I blow dey my audi and the water moves out exactly the same. On top of that a lot of people use toppers so wouldnt the clearcoat adhere rhe characteristics of the top layer???

Anyways that’s just my experience

In the case of opticoating on my white bmw. It was actually done by a pro .
    Unfortunatly sounds like you have a bad taste in your mouth from your experience. That is unfortunate.

They do indeed in my experience add to the look. i applied can coat evo over top of my no name ceramic coating 8 months after initial coating install and my god it actually looked like i dipped my buick in a tank of glass. Pure evo also has a darkening effect and gives off that candy gloss look.

Same goes for self cleaning, ease of washing. Everything atleast to me is better.

And yes the coating will be masked by a topper until said topper wears off. But you are esseintally possible extending your coating since the topper will take the brunt of the abuse. Im not a frequent topper person.

Then again maybe im a bit bias as i love what benifits a coating gives me. I can hand wash, rinse then blow dry it and walk away without doing anything else if i dont want to.

Coatings are not the end all be all and are not for everyone.

I may be wrong but it sounds as though your crap experience has blinded you a bit from being open minded that there just might be a issue with mother nature, technique or product., and that coatings do actually do what they claim.

Best of luck in your pursuit in finding a lsp that best suits your needs

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings are most susceptible during the first week of curing. Cure should have been used as a safety measure. Or at most blowing off the water so it doe snot sit on the freshly coated surface. Sucks but this is what happens.

8. Likes opie, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Coatings are most susceptible during the first week of curing. Cure should have been used as a safety measure. Or at most blowing off the water so it doe snot sit on the freshly coated surface. Sucks but this is what happens.
    there is not way to blow the water off the coating if I take the car to work, unless I take my air blower with me and leave work right after its rains . If it takes 2 weeks to cure , it would be very hard to do this unless I was working from home in which case I would just leave the car inside the garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Unfortunatly sounds like you have a bad taste in your mouth from your experience. That is unfortunate.

They do indeed in my experience add to the look. i applied can coat evo over top of my no name ceramic coating 8 months after initial coating install and my god it actually looked like i dipped my buick in a tank of glass. Pure evo also has a darkening effect and gives off that candy gloss look.

Same goes for self cleaning, ease of washing. Everything atleast to me is better.

And yes the coating will be masked by a topper until said topper wears off. But you are esseintally possible extending your coating since the topper will take the brunt of the abuse. Im not a frequent topper person.

Then again maybe im a bit bias as i love what benifits a coating gives me. I can hand wash, rinse then blow dry it and walk away without doing anything else if i dont want to.

Coatings are not the end all be all and are not for everyone.

I may be wrong but it sounds as though your crap experience has blinded you a bit from being open minded that there just might be a issue with mother nature, technique or product., and that coatings do actually do what they claim.

Best of luck in your pursuit in finding a lsp that best suits your needs

very likely. I think I m going to stick to sealants and maybe give a lite coating a chance in the future. I did not use cure but again the instruction should also make it mandatory to use cure after an application. I ve read the instructions and it only says to use it if outdoor application is done .

In any case, I m done with gyeon products , can coat evo was also a fail for me lol

I m sticking with car pro products from now on , their lite ceramic coating wasnt bad, mind you it was applied on a white car but I do not recall seeing water spots . But it was nice that the bottle had a lot of product

Funny enough car pro actually states on their user manual that water should be remove from the car in the first 48 hours for car pro lite and they also advised to add reload after 1 hour of application

Post Thanks / Like

but at least the car looks good lol.

Im wondering if gliss would bond to gyeon pure? . I dont feel like removing the whole coating and I still have half a bottle of gliss laying around in my garage. Can anyone chime in?

Post Thanks / Like

rick, are you talking about water spots after it rains?

Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting to hear what the water spotting source is.

I have NEVER got difficult water spotting from rain which couldn't be cleaned off with another wash.

14. Likes CleanIT, opie liked this post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast