autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats everyone using for headlight protection - before yellowing...

Something that popped in my head, I should be protecting my headlights PRIOR to them yellowing. I normally swipe then with whatever spray wax I use but maybe I should be doing more? If so, what are you guys using...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whats everyone using for headlight protection - before yellowing...

PPF

3. Likes John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    PPF
    True but Ive seen PPF pull off coatings on headlights. Like the factory clear. I bought my truck new in 2019 and the one I had picked out had the factory clear peeling already, NEW! Its crazy... I think its a common problem on Power Strokes. Ive read about it several times on groups and forum on my truck.

Post Thanks / Like

double post.

Post Thanks / Like

As already noted, PPF is your best choice. waxes, sealants and coatings will all still chip and will not prevent the fine road particles to sand blast your lights.

7. Likes Tasmania, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    True but Ive seen PPF pull off coatings on headlights. Like the factory clear. I bought my truck new in 2019 and the one I had picked out had the factory clear peeling already, NEW! Its crazy... I think its a common problem on Power Strokes. Ive read about it several times on groups and forum on my truck.
    PPF. If you're worried about the above, ceramic coat them first. I do PPF after coatings all the time with no issues. I use Premium Shield Elite and my own formulation for activating the adhesive.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

9. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't apply a PPF, but when I coat the vehicle, I'll also include the headlights. I also avoid hitting both the taillights and headlights with anything abrasive for as long as possible. My intent is to preserve whatever UV protection is provided by the OEM part maker.

The rate of yellowing/clouding seems to vary pretty widely by automaker. I've had a Toyota and a Mazda start yellowing around the 5~7 point, yet I've had both a BMW and VW which were crystal clear after 7~8 years. The Toyota seemed to start failing the earliest.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PPF or any good spray coating. I went the latter and my 18 lamps still look good. Another choice would be...

Wolfgang Plastik Surface Sealant forms a clear barrier over your plastic lenses to shield them from contamination and UV rays. (autogeek.net)
    2018 Colorado ZR2

13. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is some important information to understand when it comes to the factory hardcoat of automotive headlamps:

• All OEM headlamp lenses are required to meet the abrasion and chemical tests cited in the DOT lighting regulations.
    • All OEM headlamp lenses follow an SAE standard for a 3 year UV exposure test to ensure sufficient optical characteristics.
    • OEM headlamp lenses will have a hardcoat thickness of between 8-18 microns.
    • These hardcoats are UV cured in a clean room. They are not a typical spray on clear coat.
    • The life of a hardcoat is dependent on a number of variables which include sun exposure, weather exposure, climate region, vehicle usage, vehicle care, etc.

Ceramic coatings are NOT a durable or suitable form of protection for headlamps. Ceramic coatings have a thickness of between 0.5-1.5 microns which is MUCH thinner than a headlamp hardcoat.

For the same reason you wouldn't ceramic coat a base paint layer, is the same reason you wouldn't ceramic coat over bare polycarbonate. Clear coats for paint and hardcoats for lenses are thicker, more durable, more UV resistant and longer lasting.

Does applying a ceramic coating over a NEW headlamp offer any benefits? Sure. It won't hurt the headlamp but like any top layer protection, its only temporary. I suppose it *could* possibly extend the life of the hardcoat but only if properly maintained and reapplied at specific intervals.

Does applying a ceramic coating over a RESTORED headlamp offer any benefits? NO. It will wear away within a short period of time and the lamp will become hazy and deteriorated once again.

Aside from re-spraying headlamp lenses with a commercial grade UV hardcoat, the next best thing is PPF (as already stated multiple times in this thread). But not just any PPF will suffice. It has to be optically clear with a high light transmittance level. Remember, these are your headlamps which are safety devices and you depend on them to provide maximum lighting at night. I have not researched which brands are best for clear PPF. The manufacturer of the film should be able to provide documentation of measured light transmittance level.

15. Thanks Desertnate, Craig Encinitas, Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes DFB, Craig Encinitas, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco View Post
    As already noted, PPF is your best choice. waxes, sealants and coatings will all still chip and will not prevent the fine road particles to sand blast your lights.
    Good to see you here posting again. Are you still actively detailing?

17. Likes Anthony Orosco liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast