autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

12-year-old Honda

Nothing special used. Not kept in garage. Ontario winter. 12 years old. Throw your expensive detailing products in the trash. J/k.

"Usually wax once in the spring/summer and once in the fall. Spring/summer is usually a paste or liquid wax (this time was Turtle Wax “super hard shell” paste) and the fall is usually a spray (Mother’s). Looks pretty good to me for 12 years in Ontario weather."

"My wife gets the garage for her white Mazda5 in the winter but we keep them in the driveway during the warmer months. I think it provides some evidence that regularly maintaining the paint can help. My parents ‘06 Honda Civic also hasn’t suffered from the clear coat failure and 90% of the Civics up here (from that gen) do."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Silly Rabbit, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 12-year-old Honda

Really great shape!!!
    I think some of the time it can be easy to forget about all the great products out on the market, even on shelves at local stores, especially with all the new 'latest, greatest' items coming out so often. Not saying the new product that drops with the latest technology isn't a step up maybe. But just that some of those old products really are that good. I believe, much like your car showing how great it looks, anyone giving ANY love to their vehicle is a win today. So many cars on the road you see 'maybe' get an automatic car wash now and then... "I'll get the 'Ultimate' wash, that way it waxes the car too" Lol, that's the same as a full detail right? Or close enough?
    If someone walks into a store and reaches for anything and puts some time into their ride, that's ahead of the average right there. And the beauty is pretty much any product you reach for is good today, good to great. I tell people that are willing to do a little bit of effort but not much more, to buy a bottle of trusty old NuFinish. Dirt cheap, bought anywhere, easy to use, looks good, and lasts.
    Your car is an example of some time put in now and again and your car will look like new.

4. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. This guy used basic stuff. This is just a hobby for me, and it's fun trying new things, but I have to say you don't really need much to keep a car looking good.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes people get caught up in "what is the best" product in X category when what matters is how you use your products. Don't get me wrong, the products you can use certainly can make a difference but technique is far more important imo.

Car looks great for something that sees real winters and is 12 years old!

7. Likes CleanIT liked this post