autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rim and tire Cleaner

What is the best Rim and Tire Cleaner that you guys use ? I have been using Meguiars..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rim and tire Cleaner

To do this really right, it’s two different products; a rim cleaner and a tire cleaner… for the rim I like sonax products, and for the tire I like stoners Tarminator
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

I also prefer to use two different products when the wheels and tires are extremely dirty. A Tire & Wheel cleaner works great on well maintained vehicles.

Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner Concentrate diluted 1:1
    tuf shine tire cleaner concentrate
    TUF SHINE Tire Brush

Sonax "The Beast" Wheel Cleaner
    SONAX The Beast? Wheel Cleaner
    Speed Master 3 Piece Wheel Detail Kit

BLACKFIRE Tire & Wheel Cleaner , BLACKFIRE Total Eclipse Tire & Wheel Cleaner
    https://www.autogeek.net/wg4600.html
    https://www.autogeek.net/dp-tire-and-wheel-cleaner.html
    https://www.autogeek.net/ps-brake-wheel-cleaner.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dynoguy View Post
    What is the best Rim and Tire Cleaner that you guys use ? I have been using Meguiars..
    There is no such thing as "best" when it comes to auto detailing products.

Meguiar's has a few different wheel and tire cleaners - which one are you using? I assume you are using the consumer grade Hot Rims Wheel and Tire Cleaner?

If you maintain your vehicle on a regular basis (weekly or bi-weekly) then most ANY wheel and tire cleaner will do the job. That's because there generally won't be a huge amount of dirt/grime accumulation to merit a heavy strong cleaner. In fact you can use regular car shampoo to wash wheels and save the cleaner for the tires only (saves you money).

If you DON'T maintain your vehicle regularly (monthly or bi-monthly) then I would still say most ANY wheel and tire cleaner will do the job except for wheels as you may want to switch to a cleaner with a iron remover component to help break up bonded contaminants from the brake dust. Or if you have heavy dusting brakes where they may cake on the wheels then an acid wheel cleaner will help make cleaning easier.

Personally, for tires only I've been using Turtle Wax Hyper Foam Wheel Cleaner and Tire Prep. I've tried many many tire cleaners over the years and I'm enjoying this one so far. Its economical and effective which is a combo I look for in most detailing products.

For wheels only, I've been using Meguiar's Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner. I like it because of its iron removing capabilities, high foaming and it clings (gel-like consistency) for decent dwell time. Again this is extremely economical. I buy 5 bottles locally and put them in a gallon container. Sometimes they are on sale for $8.99 a bottle so its the cheapest iron removing wheel cleaner of anything else available on the market that come in gallon sizes.

I just ran out of the Meguiar's so I picked up a gallon of the Turtle Wax All Wheel Cleaner + Iron Remover. Its a few dollars more expensive over the Meg's but I wanted to give this a shot to see how I liked it.

There are many other popular favorites out there that will do an equal job as the products I listed above but they cost more. And in my opinion its not worth it to spend more money to get equal results or even results that are a smidge better. Especially for wheel and tire cleaners because these are chemicals that we use the most of at every wash.

5. Likes DFB, Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    There is no such thing as "best" when it comes to auto detailing products.
    So very true. Condition of the wheels, type of wheel material/finish, etc, make a big difference.

For moderate/mildly dirty wheels, which is what I normally face, my weapon of choice is Griots wheel cleaner; the green "normal" one. For being the "mild" cleaner it has a surprising amount of cleaning ability.

Now that I no longer have a German car with performance pads in the garage, I'm finding I use wheel cleaner far less these days. For my maintenance washes I'm able to mix up my normal wash solution and it does just fine.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There really isn't a "best" cleaner in my opinion. Many of the major companies out there make quality products. Personally I would not use a tire and wheel cleaner as these should really be two separate products. You want a degreaser for your tires and an iron spray for your wheels. I predominantly use Gtechniq W6 on my wheels for a few different reasons. First it is safe to use on a wide variety of wheel types, coating safe and it can be used on your body work as well for coated/uncoated vehicles as part of a decontamination wash. I use tuf n shine tire cleaner for my tires with a tuf n shine low profile tire brush. This combination will do a far better job than any tire and wheel cleaner combo ever will. Combo type products could be useful if you always clean your car on a bi-weekly basis max but many people slip up on time frames so it is better to just have the dedicated products imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    For my maintenance washes I'm able to mix up my normal wash solution and it does just fine.
    Yeah, so many people sleep on the idea of just using regular car wash shampoo to clean wheels. I've been doing that for years because it does the job and its CHEAP! Again this is for regularly maintained wheels.

I've only recently started using a dedicated iron removing wheel cleaner because one of our vehicles has gloss black wheels with a really soft sensitive finish. And I like the idea of dissolving brake dust first before agitating to reduce the risk of further marring. If these wheels were silver I'd be using car soap.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, so many people sleep on the idea of just using regular car wash shampoo to clean wheels. I've been doing that for years because it does the job and its CHEAP! Again this is for regularly maintained wheels.
    I will freely admit to being new to the practice. I've known about it for some time, but found normal car wash soap wasn't very effective in removing the heavy, sticky, black brake dust produced by the performance-grade pads on my GTI and BMW. With my current Japanese car, it's a totally different story. The wheels are really easy to clean. Will this continue when I mount upgraded aftermarket pads in the future? Not sure, but for now I'm happy using car wash soap.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

If you are a geek at heart and keep wheels maintained, P&S Brake buster at full strength. At worse 2 part BB 1 part water.

Cleans wheels hood and gets tire pretty clean. If your using regular tire products then good for tires too.

If I were coating tire I would use a stronger cleaner like TufShine or 303 T&R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only recently started using a dedicated iron removing wheel cleaner because one of our vehicles has gloss black wheels with a really soft sensitive finish. And I like the idea of dissolving brake dust first before agitating to reduce the risk of further marring. If these wheels were silver I'd be using car soap.
    I have been a big advocate for cleaning well maintained wheels with soap for a long time now. For my own cars, I apply soap to the wheel and wheel arch from my foam cannon. If I feel the need to scrub the tires, I will have a something appropriate hooked on the side of my bucket. I find soap more than adequate in such situations and limits exposure to harsh chemicals, a benefit to myself and the car.

For excessively dirty wheels and tires, I will use undiluted Brake Buster and/or NV Purge.

14. Likes Tasmania liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast