autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Longest Lasting Trim Protectant

I still have not found a trim restorer / protectant that I am happy with & looking for suggestions that might fit my needs. The CarPro Delux is acceptable and seems to last the longest ( maybe a couple to a few months max ) . Is there something out there that has at least 6 months of ACTUAL longevity in it? I know the Geyon says it does but I have yet to ever find anything that lasts as long as the manufacturer says it does, most are about half to maybe 75% max.

Applying twice a year or less is what I would like.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Longest Lasting Trim Protectant

If you're finding Dlux or Q2 TRIM aren't lasting more than a few months, then in my experience, the trim needed to be restored first. Look into Solution Finish or Polytrol Oil to be used first. Once applied and cured for 12-24hrs you can then seal them up with either a standard ceramic or apply Dlux or Q2 Trim over top.

Following the above you'll get a solid 2-3yrs out of them.

This 17yr old Jeep was done with Both products and both were then cured and ceramic coated. I see this every day as it's my neighbor and it looks like day one. Granted, it's been through just one winter but I have plenty done for years.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

3. Likes dgage, DFB, BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used both Gyeon trim and Wolfgang exterior trim sealant with very good results. Wolfgang lasts about 5 months before it starts losing its beading characteristics. Gyeon lasts about 6 months. Make sure the surface you’re applying to is CLEAN. You will get the most durability from a well prepared surface.

Post Thanks / Like

With the advent of spray coatings, i have not needed a trim product in years. But when i did, Griots was great! Lasted a long time and the included applicator was fantastic.

Griots Garage Black Shine Trim Restorer

McKess is another gem.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

WETS (Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant) and McKees Plastic Trim Restorer both last 6 months easy for me.

(I swear they are the same product in different bottles.)

Just make sure the trim is CLEAN before application, like the guys said above.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes Rsurfer, UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed in that your not getting a year out of a coating guessing trim is really oxidized.

Have gotten over a year with Cerakote trim coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

If the coating only last two months either the trim was in desperate need of restoration or the prep was not good enough. If it truly needed to be restored you locked yourself out from using solution finish to penetrate and restore the trim and then applying some sort of trim sealant over it.

I have moved away from ceramic coating trim that needs restoration for this exact reason stated by Chris West of SF. I have experienced what Chris mentioned.

Now that you coated the trim, I would say to give it a deep clean and then reapply DLUX. You could try PBL Ceramic Trim Restorer as it is a dye within the formula. Just know that it will fade around the 5-6 month mark. Give or take.

I will add that Poorboys Trim Coating so far looks promising and I would say to consider that as well.

11. Likes PaulMys, BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will say that I am pretty well as dedicated as just about anyone in regards to prep- I seriously doubt if there are many others that take it more seriously than me so lack of prep can be tossed out the window. I prepped by scrubbing with good quality APC then with a PH neutral wash and blew dry with heated air from my dual motor metro air blaster -- its just not going to get any cleaner than that, I would eat off of that surface its that clean-- and if thats not good enough then well I'm sorry. I used 2 coats SF as a base layer topped with a single layer of CarPro DLUX and only get about 3 months tops before noticeable fading starts .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    I will say that I am pretty well as dedicated as just about anyone in regards to prep- I seriously doubt if there are many others that take it more seriously than me so lack of prep can be tossed out the window. I prepped by scrubbing with good quality APC then with a PH neutral wash and blew dry with heated air from my dual motor metro air blaster -- its just not going to get any cleaner than that, I would eat off of that surface its that clean-- and if thats not good enough then well I'm sorry. I used 2 coats SF as a base layer topped with a single layer of CarPro DLUX and only get about 3 months tops before noticeable fading starts .
    How long did you let SF cure before topping with Dlux?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast