autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opinions On Cquartz UK 3.0 vs Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light vs Gyeon Mohs

Just seeing what people have experienced in overall user experience / performance of these coatings.

I'm really liking Cquartz UK 3.0 (Thanks Guz!), Carpro Lite, and Gliss. I ordered Skin for the gf's Jeep that had the front clip filmed last Saturday, and I also picked up SIC. Between Carpro and Optimum I'm pretty happy. I applied Lite to my Mom's car and it looks so good. There's so much of it in the bottle that I have a bunch of my relatives scheduled to have it applied to their vehicles. It's really easy to use, on par with Gloss Coat, but the water behavior is pretty insane, which these days doesn't mean much to me, but customers LOVE seeing it. I want to give them what they want....

I'd like to see what others have experienced. Crystal Serum Light boasts a five year durability claim, but the twelve hour cure time might not really work for me. Of the performance was worth it, I could do it. Mohs was recently reformulated, so I'd imagine that any long term durability findings probably aren't in yet.

2. Thanks MikeII thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions On Cquartz UK 3.0 vs Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light vs Gyeon Mohs

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Just seeing what people have experienced in overall user experience / performance of these coatings.

I'm really liking Cquartz UK 3.0 (Thanks Guz!), Carpro Lite, and Gliss. I ordered Skin for the gf's Jeep that had the front clip filmed last Saturday, and I also picked up SIC. Between Carpro and Optimum I'm pretty happy. I applied Lite to my Mom's car and it looks so good. There's so much of it in the bottle that I have a bunch of my relatives scheduled to have it applied to their vehicles. It's really easy to use, on par with Gloss Coat, but the water behavior is pretty insane, which these days doesn't mean much to me, but customers LOVE seeing it. I want to give them what they want....

I'd like to see what others have experienced. Crystal Serum Light boasts a five year durability claim, but the twelve hour cure time might not really work for me. Of the performance was worth it, I could do it. Mohs was recently reformulated, so I'd imagine that any long term durability findings probably aren't in yet.
    Also with CSL, don't you have to add a layer or two of EXOv.whatever in order to get the full benefit of the product? Seems like you would be really paying for 2 things that a single coating from another manufacturer would be providing...

4. Likes dlc95, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only Obsessed Garage followers seem to prefer CSL over UK3.0. Everyone else agrees that UK3.0 is superior. 5 year durability claim takes zero consideration for beading or self cleaning. What good is a coating that lasts 5 years but you can’t even tell the car is coated unless you keep putting EXO on top?
    Bruno Soares

6. Likes Rsurfer, CleanIT, dlc95, DFB, vaca22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found (especially in limited maintenance situations) CQUK3 + Gliss V2 to be vastly superior to CSL + EXOV4. Identical vehicles, identical situations, applied within 7 days of each other.

CSL is a tough cookie but in my experience lacks the pizzazz in looks and water behavior compared to CQUK3. EXOV4 was particularly weak, faded quickly.

I've done CSL + C2V3 & CSL + EXOV4 and was unimpressed overall with both. CSL + Gyeon Cancoat was a treat however.

Aside from their product names (very cool) I just never got on with the Gtechniq paint coatings I've tried :shrug:

Wheel, glass & trim coatings were nice & being able to get them in 15ml bottles was a bonus.

Once it gets more widespread, methinks the new Gyeon EVO coatings will eat into CSL's popularity should people give them a try. Gyeon priced them right to compete.

8. Thanks Rod73, JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, Bruno Soares, The Guz, SWETM, Rod73 and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    Also with CSL, don't you have to add a layer or two of EXOv.whatever in order to get the full benefit of the product? Seems like you would be really paying for 2 things that a single coating from another manufacturer would be providing...
    True.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    Only Obsessed Garage followers seem to prefer CSL over UK3.0. Everyone else agrees that UK3.0 is superior. 5 year durability claim takes zero consideration for beading or self cleaning. What good is a coating that lasts 5 years but you can’t even tell the car is coated unless you keep putting EXO on top?
    Ugh..

OG? That's enough right there for me to want to avoid it. I feel bad for any company that has to deal with that guy.

Great point about performance. What good is a five year coating of it doesn't behave like a coating is on the paint!

11. Likes Bruno Soares, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I found (especially in limited maintenance situations) CQUK3 + Gliss V2 to be vastly superior to CSL + EXOV4. Identical vehicles, identical situations, applied within 7 days of each other.

CSL is a tough cookie but in my experience lacks the pizzazz in looks and water behavior compared to CQUK3. EXOV4 was particularly weak, faded quickly.

I've done CSL + C2V3 & CSL + EXOV4 and was unimpressed overall with both. CSL + Gyeon Cancoat was a treat however.

Aside from their product names (very cool) I just never got on with the Gtechniq paint coatings I've tried :shrug:

Wheel, glass & trim coatings were nice & being able to get them in 15ml bottles was a bonus.

Once it gets more widespread, methinks the new Gyeon EVO coatings will eat into CSL's popularity should people give them a try. Gyeon priced them right to compete.
    I appreciate it BP.

CarPro just seems to be the gold standard for consumer glass bottle coatings.

13. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used all of these as you know. Cquartz UK will run circles around CSL regardless of those claims. That 5 year claim of CSL is a lab claim. CarPro is conservative in their claims.

CSL: The benefit is the application and the need for one layer. Very easy to work with. Look is similar to Gyeon Mohs. Self cleaning and water behavior is lack luster. This sheets more than beads. It will attract folks but in order for a sheeting coating to work well is the surface needs to be flooded with lots of water. It needs Exo for that hydrophobic layer.

Exo: V3 was better than V4. V4 doesn't seem as durable. V5 is supposedly in the works. Downside is it is recommended to apply 2 layers over CSL.

Cquartz UK 3.0: Proven track record for durability. Not a slick coating but durable and easy to work with. Does not require a topper as it is hydrophobic and has a good self cleaning effect. Folks confuse the 2 layer as a requirement. The second layer is recommended. Different from required.

Gliss: I have not used this in so long. It is slick and hydrophobic. The benefit is the ease of application. The downside is the 4 hour wait time in order to be used as a topper over a coating.

Cquartz SiC: Very slick coating. Yes slicker than Gliss. It is a stand alone but can be used as a topper over UK. The benefit as a topper is that only 1 hour is needed before applying it over UK. This is essentially a new version of TiO2 just replaced with SiC. Maintains many of the same properties as TiO2. Some don' t like the long flash time. It will have the same CarPro claim as UK soon. TiO2 I believe has an 18-24 month rating so expect it to be around this claim.

Lite: you are already familiar with it. It will be coming in a glass bottle soon which does look nice.

Mohs Evo: Very slick coating. Similar application to CSL with the sweating effect. It is new so durability is still out. It is another one layer coating with a second optional. So far it has done well and is a much needed reformulation. Fun fact this has a contact angle of 105 just like CSL but yet seems more hydrophobic than CSL. Mohs Evo is aimed to compete with CSL.

At the moment I would still choose Cquartz followed by Gyeon and Gtechniq will be towards the bottom. Let me add this, I would choose Gloss Coat over CSL and I don't think highly from the performance of Gloss Coat lol.

15. Thanks dgage, dlc95, vaca22, JustJesus, PaulMys and 2 others thanked for this post
    Likes dgage, dlc95, SWETM, BudgetPlan1, CleanIT and 4 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have used all of these as you know. Cquartz UK will run circles around CSL regardless of those claims. That 5 year claim of CSL is a lab claim. CarPro is conservative in their claims.

CSL: The benefit is the application and the need for one layer. Very easy to work with. Look is similar to Gyeon Mohs. Self cleaning and water behavior is lack luster. This sheets more than beads. It will attract folks but in order for a sheeting coating to work well is the surface needs to be flooded with lots of water. It needs Exo for that hydrophobic layer.

Exo: V3 was better than V4. V4 doesn't seem as durable. V5 is supposedly in the works. Downside is it is recommended to apply 2 layers over CSL.

Cquartz UK 3.0: Proven track record for durability. Not a slick coating but durable and easy to work with. Does not require a topper as it is hydrophobic and has a good self cleaning effect. Folks confuse the 2 layer as a requirement. The second layer is recommended. Different from required.

Gliss: I have not used this in so long. It is slick and hydrophobic. The benefit is the ease of application. The downside is the 4 hour wait time in order to be used as a topper over a coating.

Cquartz SiC: Very slick coating. Yes slicker than Gliss. It is a stand alone but can be used as a topper over UK. The benefit as a topper is that only 1 hour is needed before applying it over UK. This is essentially a new version of TiO2 just replaced with SiC. Maintains many of the same properties as TiO2. Some don' t like the long flash time. It will have the same CarPro claim as UK soon. TiO2 I believe has an 18-24 month rating so expect it to be around this claim.

Lite: you are already familiar with it. It will be coming in a glass bottle soon which does look nice.

Mohs Evo: Very slick coating. Similar application to CSL with the sweating effect. It is new so durability is still out. It is another one layer coating with a second optional. So far it has done well and is a much needed reformulation. Fun fact this has a contact angle of 105 just like CSL but yet seems more hydrophobic than CSL. Mohs Evo is aimed to compete with CSL.

At the moment I would still choose Cquartz followed by Gyeon and Gtechniq will be towards the bottom. Let me add this, I would choose Gloss Coat over CSL and I don't think highly from the performance of Gloss Coat lol.
    Many thanks, Mike!

Looks like I'm in good hands with the Cquartz line.

I've been doing single layers of CQUK 3.0 with Reload as temporary protection during curing, and it's been VERY impressive. It rivals the pro coatings I use at work. I figured there must be a reason they seem to sit at the top of the heap.

Ha! Yeah, if you'd choose Gloss Coat over CSL... That's all I need to hear. I still like GC but am finding that it's a little bit of a diva with prep. On Saturday I took Cheri's jeep in for ppf film installation. I Gloss Coated the parts that were not to get filmed. My friend who did the install - I stared the correction and coating process for him in January. I had completed the hood and Gloss Coated it. It didn't look good at all. I even used Hyper Polish and Paint Prep, but I tried their trick of using and ONR dampened towel to remove it, and using Paint Prep as a drying aid. I think I rung out the towel too hard, and it didn't quite work as well. One of my tubes is the new formula, so I'm anxious to try that one out soon.

My co-worker needs something he can set and forget. I was planning on using Cquartz SIC for him, but I bet Lite would be fine too. I'm a little taken aback at how much I like Lite and UK. As far as user experience, I find them very similar, and easy to use.

17. Likes BudgetPlan1, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Ugh..

OG? That's enough right there for me to want to avoid it. I feel bad for any company that has to deal with that guy.

Great point about performance. What good is a five year coating of it doesn't behave like a coating is on the paint!
    I agree with you in OG lol. Not that I'm defending him or the performance of CSL...the reason OG chose CSL and EXO was because it looks and feels like "waxed paint". He has always claimed that he doesn't like the look coatings give paint.

19. Likes JustJesus, dlc95 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast