autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Removing Window Tint

Wondering if anyone has dealt with removing window tint?

The current owner of my old E36 M3 wants to give it back to me for a few weeks to do a reset detail and asked about a few other little things. One of the things she was looking to get done was having the window tint removed.

At this point the tint has to be at least 17 years old.

I've never done anything with tint in the past, the car had come tinted when I bought it. How big of a bear is the stuff to get off? I'm guessing with it being this old it'll be pretty brittle? How at risk are the rear defrost lines?

What's the best process/products to use?

Also to add to the fun if I decide to do it is the car has (fixed back) race seats and a roll bar, which will make access to the rear windows a treat...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Window Tint

Best advice is to pay a tint person to do it. It’s more of a hassle than anything.

3. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When we remove any kind of film we use heat to loosen the adhesive, or at least "wake it up".

On body panels I get a microfiber towel, soak in hot water, wring the excess, and put it where I want to start removing it. Great care has to be taken to not lift paint off thr panel though.

On glass we tend to use a heat gun, and follow with an adhesive remover. Great care needs to be taken with exposed interior pieces, to not let any of the adhesive remover dwell. CarPro TarX is very effective and the one I use most. Industrial strength Goof Off is some seriously nasty stuff. Might want to wear a hazmat suit when using it.

5. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just like PPF, steam is your friend. Like removing emblems, once the leading edge is warm and softened, pull towards you and the rest will slowly give-way.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to contribute, but the words "E36 M3", "fixed racing seats", and "roll bar" caught my attention. It captures ones imagination.

Hope you post some pics when it's all done.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Nothing to contribute, but the words "E36 M3", "fixed racing seats", and "roll bar" caught my attention. It captures ones imagination.

Hope you post some pics when it's all done.
    Here it is back when I had it:

All the common E36 stuff refreshed (cooling system, control arms, poly-every-bushing, Z3 rack, oil pan baffle, etc), TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers, Ground control front bar. Did a lot of auto crossing and some HPDE's. Reallllly fun car.

10. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Best advice is to pay a tint person to do it. It’s more of a hassle than anything.
    Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be glamorous work, but in the end someone has to be able to do it. Was just curious if this was one where if you haven't done hundreds of cars it comes off like smoked confetti, or if it was just a process.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    When we remove any kind of film we use heat to loosen the adhesive, or at least "wake it up".

On body panels I get a microfiber towel, soak in hot water, wring the excess, and put it where I want to start removing it. Great care has to be taken to not lift paint off thr panel though.

On glass we tend to use a heat gun, and follow with an adhesive remover. Great care needs to be taken with exposed interior pieces, to not let any of the adhesive remover dwell. CarPro TarX is very effective and the one I use most. Industrial strength Goof Off is some seriously nasty stuff. Might want to wear a hazmat suit when using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Just like PPF, steam is your friend. Like removing emblems, once the leading edge is warm and softened, pull towards you and the rest will slowly give-way.
    Thanks for the info. Don't have a steamer, though it's been on my contemplation list. Just don't do enough yet I can justify picking one up, let alone have the time to learn how to use it well.

Anyone have any frame of reference for what tint removal goes for? Fully acknowledge I'm sure it varies by your location, just curious if there's a ballpark range. Do they charge Actual time for something like that, or is there a flat-rate type charge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be glamorous work, but in the end someone has to be able to do it. Was just curious if this was one where if you haven't done hundreds of cars it comes off like smoked confetti, or if it was just a process.

Thanks for the info. Don't have a steamer, though it's been on my contemplation list. Just don't do enough yet I can justify picking one up, let alone have the time to learn how to use it well.

Anyone have any frame of reference for what tint removal goes for? Fully acknowledge I'm sure it varies by your location, just curious if there's a ballpark range. Do they charge Actual time for something like that, or is there a flat-rate type charge?
    Our guy here seems to be on the high end at $200.00 per window, to remove old tint.

Steamer is pretty easy to use, but I've never had to set one up. I use the hot water/towel technique so the ppf guys can keep theirs on hand. Thankfully I'm not removing film on a regular basis.

13. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post