autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to get metallic black clearcoat point to 'pop' more?!

I've got a 2014 Chrysler 300 with Phantom Black Pearl metallic paint (PXT). I've got it looking pretty good with Sonax compound and their polish and have been using Meguiars Ultimate wax on it (and last year tried Sonax PNS, though I wasn't sold on this one, so put Megs on it again this spring.) But I want to get it to pop more (look shinier/glossier.) With the metallic in it it always looks dusty, especially not in direct sunlight...

I'm guessing this is the nature of the paint and probably not a lot I can do, but figured I ask for any suggestions or ideas?
    Thanks

Edit: title should be paint, not point!
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to get metallic black clearcoat point to 'pop' more?!

Start searching for coatings that put a candy gloss to the paint… Ultima paint guard plus is one of them as a sealant, it can be wiped on, and several coatings put a candy finish on the car. gyeon Cancoat does candy gloss pretty good.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I've got a 2014 Chrysler 300 with Phantom Black Pearl metallic paint (PXT). I've got it looking pretty good with Sonax compound and their polish and have been using Meguiars Ultimate wax on it (and last year tried Sonax PNS, though I wasn't sold on this one, so put Megs on it again this spring.) But I want to get it to pop more (look shinier/glossier.) With the metallic in it it always looks dusty, especially not in direct sunlight...

I'm guessing this is the nature of the paint and probably not a lot I can do, but figured I ask for any suggestions or ideas?
    Thanks

Edit: title should be paint, not point!
    Do the front fender with Sonax Perfect Finish and see if there's a difference between the fender and the untouched hood. Final looks of paint is 90% from polishing and not using LSP.

4. Likes Bruno Soares, chilly, dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Do the front fender with Sonax Perfect Finish and see if there's a difference between the fender and the untouched hood. Final looks of paint is 90% from polishing and not using LSP.
    I was using Meguiars Ultimate line for the first couple years I had the car and then went the Sonax last year. I liked the results much better with the Sonax stuff, though was much harder to clean up. I used Cutmax and then Profiline EX 04-06 and have tried both Megs UPW and Sonax PNS now...

glen e, I've seen a few cars done with that and they looked 'plasticy' if that makes sense, not candy gloss...

Don't know why I'm not getting notifications of these replies but keep em coming please
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I was using Meguiars Ultimate line for the first couple years I had the car and then went the Sonax last year. I liked the results much better with the Sonax stuff, though was much harder to clean up. I used Cutmax and then Profiline EX 04-06 and have tried both Megs UPW and Sonax PNS now...

glen e, I've seen a few cars done with that and they looked 'plasticy' if that makes sense, not candy gloss...

Don't know why I'm not getting notifications of these replies but keep em coming please
    Your question was how do you get your paint to look shiner/glossier and my answer was that it's all in the polishing and not what you protect it with.

7. Likes chilly, dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The previous posts are true about polishing and you should inspect when with a light if you haven’t been. You may not be finishing down well enough.

That being said I had a Mustang in Ford Shadow Black. It look flat from away but had the lightest metallic in it that kinda mad it look “dusty” far away.

When I got the finish I want I used CQuK 3.0 topped with CanCoat and it looked like I had just “plugged”my paint in.

Most of your clarity and depth will come from your polish but what you top it with can make a night and day difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Dislikes dcjredline disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the polishing to get the paint really looking good, but I'd also say your LSP can play a part.

My previous two cars were black metallic; a VW GTI and a BMW 435. The metallic flake in the VW was really small and there wasn't that much of it. The BMW also had small flakes, but the quantity in the paint was much higher.

I found with the VW, it took a product like Gyeon CanCoat to make the flake really pop. Some products like Collinite 845, looked great by did seem to mute the flake and make the car look dusty. The BMW looked good in CQuartz UK and Wolfgang SiO2 Paint sealant. I think the Wolfgang was actually a little more "transparent". CQUK in my eyes looks really glossy, but tends to darken the surface a bit, which mutes the flake and leads to the "dusty" appearance. I recently applied Gyeon Pure Evo to my blue perl car and it looks like it was dipped in liquid glass and left to dry. It might be another good option.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What are people using to attach pics here? I wish the email notifications worked!
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Your question was how do you get your paint to look shiner/glossier and my answer was that it's all in the polishing and not what you protect it with.
    Yah I understand I think. So maybe some more polishing, or another step with an even finer polish/pad.

I do try to inspect it well with the sun at as many angles as I can, sometimes use a light, though this year it stayed sunny enough till I was done.

This car has a heavier flake in it then many I've seen OEM. I'ts silver too which doesn't help make the 'dusty' look any better unless the sun is really shining on it...
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago, I'm talking 6-8 years, I worked on my neighbours black metallic Audi Q7. I washed and clayed it, then polished it with something from Menzerna, I can't remember what grade. Next was some Dodo Juice Blue Velvet, which really made it pop, and the gloss was amazing, he was very happy. Most of the products mentioned above weren't available back then. I just spent an hour going through a hard drive looking for the photos I took, cause we all know there's no proof without the pictures, but no luck, they must be on another drive.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

15. Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast