autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Expecting too much from coating?

In 2020 I tried my first coating (UK 3.0), I maintained it and didn't do a full re-apply in 2021. It did hold up on the top section of the quarter panels and hood, the lower vertical surfaces took more of a beating. This was probably due to the NY winter.

I'm not knocking the coating. In fact, I'm probably done with waxes and polishes. I just don't have the time anymore. However, I was under the impression that if I drove through the rain, the water wouldn't leave any dirty film. And at worst, I would be able to hit it with the hose and it would look clean. I never experienced that. Is that just a fantasy or marketing hype?

Like I said, the coating is better than the traditional products. But if I need to mist it every wash in order to make it work as advertised, than I may as well be using an old carnauba. So, am I expecting too much out of the coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Expecting too much from coating?

Need Bilt-Hamber Touchless or Auto-foam to remove that traffic filmExpecting too much from coating?Expecting too much from coating?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Likes Uncbrs, vaca22, Coatingsarecrack, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The coating has to be maintained with proper products. Using the wrong products can clog up the coating and not let it do its true potential.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

5. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaemish View Post
    In 2020 I tried my first coating (UK 3.0), I maintained it and didn't do a full re-apply in 2021. It did hold up on the top section of the quarter panels and hood, the lower vertical surfaces took more of a beating. This was probably due to the NY winter.

I'm not knocking the coating. In fact, I'm probably done with waxes and polishes. I just don't have the time anymore. However, I was under the impression that if I drove through the rain, the water wouldn't leave any dirty film. And at worst, I would be able to hit it with the hose and it would look clean. I never experienced that. Is that just a fantasy or marketing hype?

Like I said, the coating is better than the traditional products. But if I need to mist it every wash in order to make it work as advertised, than I may as well be using an old carnauba. So, am I expecting too much out of the coating?
    Have you tried an iron remover? I have close to 1 year old CanCoat on my Tacoma that had began to look weak on the hood. I washed it, sprayed Gtechnique iron remover, agitated, let dwell a couple of minutes, and sprayed off. That restored the beading to almost good as new.

7. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went back to wax. There is too much maintenance. You need Sio2 soap, if you scratch a part you need to polish and re-apply, wait 24-36 hours to cure. High Spot, Streaks, etc. You must use the "system" to maintain your coated vehicle.

Wax or sealant is simple and easy. No need for a "system".
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

9. Likes glen e, hoyt66, Rocko9999, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Expecting too much from coating?

Coatings get clogged. Give it a decon wash.

Here’s what you should try if you wish to stay in the CarPro line up

1. Foam with Lift
    2. Rinse
    3. Foam with Descale
    4. Contact Wash with Reset
    5. Rinse
    6. Iron Remover
    7. Rinse and top it off with Elixir if you desire.

On a side note that I don’t agree with needing an SiO2 soap. Those are not needed at all. A wax free and gloss enhancer free wash is what is needed.

People tend to over complicate it he expectation of a coating.

11. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, opie, fly07sti, Craig Encinitas, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As with everything “your mileage may vary” but I have 1 coat CQUK (prepped with Essence primer/polish) topped with CarPro Gliss on my daily driver that was applied just over 2 years ago(03/2020). The car is driven in Colorado and used all throughout the winter. I have always maintained it with Reset (every week or two) and a multi-microfiber wash method, never used any toppers ( didn’t want to mask the coating performance).

The car still beads just about the same as when the coating was first applied aside for the very bottom of the trailing edges of fenders behind the tires…

I’m actually close to polishing off the coating as I have a couple small water-spot marks on the hood that really bug me and I’d really like to give CQuarts Sic or MOHS Evo a try.

13. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, Craig Encinitas, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaemish View Post
    I maintained it and didn't do a full re-apply in 2021.
    Say what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    I went back to wax. There is too much maintenance. You need Sio2 soap, if you scratch a part you need to polish and re-apply, wait 24-36 hours to cure. High Spot, Streaks, etc. You must use the "system" to maintain your coated vehicle.

Wax or sealant is simple and easy. No need for a "system".
    These are powerful reasons why I too still refuse to mess with coatings. I have no problem with applying wax or sealant every few months. I look forward to it.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

16. Likes Kamakaz1961, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coatings aren't force fields. The constant videos of water sheeting, etc. are typically off freshly decontaminated, polished and coated vehicles. Even my current daily driver is slick as wet ice, but I keep it that way given my OCD nature as a detailer. Of course, it's a bit of hype.

In the "real world" of NY, or OH where I'm at, the salt and road grime will stick to a coating like any other surface. The difference is removing it will be much easier and the product protection will last longer. One still has to use soap, water, a sponge, or a rinseless, etc. In other words, you will have to touch it at some point. The best thing going forward is simply running your car through touchless washes weekly during the winter season. Don't let the road grime sit on the surface for more than a week or so as with anything, it will bond tighter over time.

In terms of fixing it, that's where you can rest a bit easier than you think. As noted above, use an iron remover after the initial wash. You'll see a load of contaminants turn purple, etc and thus removing them or greatly weakening their bond. Next, use a nano clay mitt or synthetic clay mitt, etc. and very soapy water. With an ever-so-slight touch, just wipe it across the soapy surface and break off the remaining bonded contaminants. It won't scratch or mar the surface. We're not claying a car that is in bad need of it with little to no protection. You're simply pulling off lightly bonded contaminants off a coated car. They come right off. I literally just did my wife's CX-5 Last night. It was feeling "hairy" as I call it. Kinda like razor stubble. Zero issues.

Give it a final rinse and then use your favorite topper to provide slickness, etc. Many use whatever brand matches their coating. I suggest also investing in GYEON's CanCoat product. The newest formulation CanCoat EVO is awesome! Spritz a rag, wipe on, buff off. I did her entire CX-5 in 20 minutes. Think of it as an ultra hydrophobic booster for your coating that you'll use once per year if that to keep it perfect. It layers over top of the existing Cquartz just fine. From that point on it's just wash an go until you need to de-hair it again in the spring. It's really just a once per year thing.

Hope that helps.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

18. Thanks CleanIT, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, Bruno Soares, John U, dgage, fly07sti and 2 others liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast