autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ruined Powder Coated wheels?

A quick call to the powder coater would be a good first step. Clear powder coating should be rock hard and should be fairly impervious to most chemicals if applied correctly.

I’d also contact the car wash directly ASAP and give them an opportunity to fix the problem…

Like I stated above powder coating is fairly bulletproof and results in a very hard surface, so if worst comes to worst, I would spend a little time with some fine polish and some microfiber. Anything that stained/etched the wheels should be able to be polished out.

Good luck and report back.

Post Thanks / Like

I do know iron remover isn't supposed to be used on powder coated rims. This might not apply here but might help someone in the futureRuined Powder Coated wheels?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I also forgot to mention when you do get the wheels cleaned up I would put a wax/sealant/coating on the wheels as this won’t be the last thing to “attack” your wheels. You spent some money getting the wheels finished to your liking go the extra mile and spend the time applying a coating to protect that investment.

4. Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought you would have to let them gas out a bit and the the paint do it's thing for a week or two

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure it's a solution for you. But the scratches seems to be due soft powder coating. I would contact they who powder coated them. If they baked them enough to get washed soon after. Or if it's needs to be cured longer to get the hardness they provide usually. It can be something that's on them. But it would degrade with what you have used I think. Don't know how it's in the US. But many of these wash stations can use very high caustic alkaline products to clean with. So if it's not scratches I think it's chemical staining you have got. Then it's polishing if it's not gone deep in the powder coating. And the powder coating can be really hard so you get to be really aggressive on them. It's hard to say where to go on by your self. As mentioned contact the powder coater and see what they think about it. And what to watch out for and not.

So sad when you spend money and then it goes like this. It's frustrateing so I feel with you man.

Skickat frĺn min SM-T736B via Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My money is on a extremely high or low pH cleaner, when I look at the picture, it looks like chemical staining… I doubt you’re gonna get it out or polish it off.
    Glen -

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, there's a lot of good info here. Here's the answer to some of these questions:

- The wheels had a few days to cure which I assumed would be enough to withstand most chemicals. But who knows what the car wash used. I think it's whatever they were using to put on the tires to give it a shine. It seems like it clearly came from leaving that stuff on wet and soaked. Driving directly after that helped to sling and streak onto the wheels.

- This car wash isn't going to give me any help. I will take it to them to show them what the #### happened, though.
    - I tried in small spots with different techniques using a rubbing compound and another spot with wax.

- I took it to a good auto detailing pro who said that he could possibly polish it out but with he amount of work it would need, it might be cheaper to spend another $600 - $650 to get it re-powder coated. I will be taking it back to the power coat guy in a few weeks to have him look at it.

- I love washing cars and have all the tools, but since I moved out from the suburbs, I haven't been able to wash it myself. This particular car wash has been working well until this incident with these wheels. I will have to look into a waterless wash or maybe even use my pump sprayer. With a small child, a busy work schedule and other hobbies, it's hard to find the time to do this.

- It definitely looks like a chemical stain. I've also heard that the wheels take a full 30 days to fully cure from powder coating.

9. Likes dgage liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ball Buster Speed Polishing Drill Attachment |

Would using something like this with a compound yield good results?

Post Thanks / Like

No…….Chemical stain can’t really be polished off, it’s not just a surface marring.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

When I worked at the dealership, the runners that washed the cars when we were done were armed with bottles of some really acidic cleaner that they'd soak the wheels/grimy spots with before they'd run it through the touchless.

I wouldn't be surprised if the car wash you went to does something similar.
    If your wheels were still hot from the drive in and they fogged them down with a wheel acid while the car sits waiting it's turn, I could see it leaving the stains you have. Especially if the powder coat was recently done.

Trying to find the positive, it kinda leaves them with a was-that-on-purpose-?-kinda-smokey look.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast