autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: Spider Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Spider Pads

So from the folks who have actually tried or use them-- What do you think of them?

Disregarding the cost factor-- what are your pro's & cons of them ( likes & dis likes )

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spider Pads

I’ve got a stash of “Honey” spider pads to use for finishing.

I believe most are a 'reticulated hybrid' foam which is a semi open cell foam (aside from the orange which is closed cell foam) that makes them somewhat stiffer by comparison. This makes them much more suitable for DA usage, as the foam will not distort or bunch on these machines as soft pads can. However, they are compressible and flexible enough to contour as much or slightly more than a Buff & Shine/Chemical Guy’s Hex-Logic White pad that many will be familiar with, which - combined with their height - makes them utterly sufficient to adapt to concave curves.

The Spider cut foam creates a space for the swarf to go, theoretically allowing for more polish contact with the paint and a quicker/cleaner finishing time.

The cut level of the Honey pads falls between a Lake Country Hydro-Tech Crimson, and a Scholl Concepts Orange pad and LC HT Tangerine pad. They provide a decent amount of cut to help remove marring from more aggressive compounding steps, unlike the soft open cell foams many associate with ‘finishing pads’. Due to their design, however, they are capable of maxing-out the finishing potential of polishes to a much greater extent.

Due to their design I believe they are very suitable for DA usage, as the foam will not distort or bunch on these machines as other soft pads can. However, they are compressible and flexible enough to contour as much or slightly more than a Buff & Shine/Chemical Guy’s Hex-Logic White pad, which - combined with their height - makes them useful on concave curves.

For the rock hard paint I normally deal with they work good for jeweling but I think someone with soft paint (or for piano black) would really enjoy how these pads work and don’t leave much haze.

4. Thanks luckydawg thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

only 211 views and one reply--that alone answers my question
    Not gonna waste my money & time on a gimmyk

6. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping for input as well

I am curious because 3D has Spider pads and CarPro USA has Spider pads

The colors are different but I gotta think they are likely the same product

I have never been one for waffle or scalloped or spider cuts etc

But I can certainly be schooled if I am missing out on something revolutionary

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Scholls and 3D sell spider pads. I was always curious about them but they don't seem very popular on this forum. They have been around long enough now to get a good following you would think....if they are really good or different - in a good way - than lake country for instance.

9. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I never liked any of the gimmicky pads like these. Stick with a regular pad that is just flat on the bottom.

All these dimples, pimples, cross groves, spiders, miters, honey combs, Frosted Flakes and whatever else add nothing to the buffing cycle and make the pads harder to clean.
    Jim

11. Likes chilly, luckydawg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used Scholl White Spiderpad and it's very scary to use the first time. It's rock hard and some mix of foam and wool I believe it is. But for haveing that much cut it still don't haze the paint so much with Scholl S3 XXL. It's the most cutting foam pad I have used and about the same cut as Meguiars Microfiber Cutting pad if not just a touch more.

The second I have used is Scholl Spiderpad Honey the orange. I would compare to Rupes yellow foam pad the older version. They both hold up and is a great quality. I don't have access to B&S and LC when I bought a lot of pads. Now I can get LC pads here in Sweden easly. So just wait a little while until I need some new pads. Have 5-7 cars this spring to be polishing. So after that I probebly need to get some new pads again and will try out some LC HDO and microfiber pads.

Starting to get access of little more knowned US brands that's talked about here. So will as the times goes test out some more products that I know from you guys here. Don't know how 3D Spiderpad is against Scholl. We just got a distributer here in Sweden for 3D. So I will try out 3D One soon I think. And Scholl both the maroon and blue Spiderpad. Is popular here in Sweden as one step pads. On medium hard paints with the maroon and blue on hard paints. They combo this with Scholl S20 or S2 or Angelwax Enigma AIO. Enigma AIO gets a lot of love here for it's cutting ability on hard paints. And still finishing really well on aggressive foam pads. Think german and Volvo cars.

Skickat från min SM-T736B via Tapatalk

13. Likes chilly, noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used the scholl spider pads for many years. Yes they are a little more expensive than some others but not far off of Rupes pricing. They are VERY durable and like mentioned earlier, even the harder cutting pads leave minimal haze if any. I’d say if you’re polishing cars here and there then you don’t need these. If you’re polishing on a regular
    basis, these pads will show up time after time.

15. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the 3D light purple spider pad for One step (with 3D Speed or Blackfire one step) when i need to get around the vehicle fast. I feel that they are meant for a production style of work. Does well all around but nothing spectacular in any specific category. Your mileage may vary but i find the pad stalled a bit less with them on a long throw machine.

17. Thanks luckydawg thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post