autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Enhancing Black Paint

I'm not a detailer at all, more of a DIY guy and years ago I purchased a Flex 3401 with some LC CCS pads to play around on my vehicle at the time. Well I never really put them to work much and now I finally have an opportunity to use the polisher. I purchased a black 2001 Silverado that had been parked and not driven since around 2014. Was parked outside and took a beating. I'd like to give it a good wash and clay bar it then hit it with the polisher to try and bring out some shine. Not trying to do some crazy multi step paint correction, just trying to get it looking better without spending a lot of money. Just going to be my daily driver truck. I have a bottle of HP Speed that I purchased a couple of years ago and never used it. Would it be a good idea to give it a try with a orange or yellow pad or should I look for a better cutting compound? I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible due to lack of time to work on it. What I currently own is a older flex 3401, some white and orange LS CCS pads and HD Speed. I have a different hood for it that will be getting painted to match the truck. Here are some pics I have of it, not the best pics but hopefully you guys can get an idea.

2. Likes Bosko, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Enhancing Black Paint

Quote Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT View Post
    I'm not a detailer at all, more of a DIY guy and years ago I purchased a Flex 3401 with some LC CCS pads to play around on my vehicle at the time. Not trying to do some crazy multi step paint correction, just trying to get it looking better without spending a lot of money. Just going to be my daily driver truck.

100% fine with HDSpeed and Orange light cutting pads. That combo on a 3401 will cut through loads of swirls and oxidation. My advice on that truck is to do exactly what you're speaking of, just make it look better. Given it's age and condition and the fact that it's remaining an everyday truck, approach it as such and think Paint Preservation. I preach that more than anything as the clearcoat is never going to grow back. Given it's black, it needs all the care and protection it can get too. You'll get 90-95% correction on that paint pretty easily.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Thanks PearlWhiteGT thanked for this post
    Likes Paul A., Desertnate, dlc95, SWETM, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just make sure you’ve got plenty of pads, that paint is going to pop after!

6. Thanks PearlWhiteGT thanked for this post
    Likes Bosko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can use your combo for sure and get good results...just take your time....clean/change those pads often.
    post up some after pics

8. Thanks PearlWhiteGT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely agree with everyone else so far. Try what you have and see if you're satisfied. If not, I think all you might need is a more aggressive compound but Speed is good stuff!

Yes, it looks like the hood and front fender trim are done. Don't waste any time or product on it especially if you're going to replace it anyway. Hopefully that's just dirt on the tailgate.

Try a test spot with Speed on a white pad first. Then try it with orange pad next to it. If the white pad gets you satisfied go with that. That clearcoat has thinned out and you want to retain it.

10. Thanks PearlWhiteGT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas, how many pads do you guys recommend to have on hand for this truck? Also what speed is recommended?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT View Post
    how many pads do you guys recommend
    6-8...lol

13. Thanks PearlWhiteGT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

8 pads should be enough and brush or air clean after every section. The cleaner the pad the more effective work it does and they clog up quick on older oxidized paint. How many pads do you have?

I run Speed on my Flex 3401 anywhere from 4-5 on the dial.

15. Thanks PearlWhiteGT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I honestly can't remember how pads I have. Need to dig them out but I know it's not to many so will most likely need to order at least 4 more of them. I will definitely post pics of it whenever I get it done.

Post Thanks / Like

Just so you know.... polishing is kinda like modding a car performance wise.... you add 100 hp and think your good and happy but then eventually you get used to it and you want more... then you add more lol.

You say you're not looking for much, just a little shine but I promise you after that wears off, the next level of imperfections will get to ya and before you know it you will have a flawless show truck lol.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

18. Likes Bosko, Jayfro, PearlWhiteGT, Jim w liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast