autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Coating Haze

I applied a ceramic coating yesterday which wasn’t the best experience in terms of application and user experience. Removal was very difficult.

Couldn’t pull it out to check for high spots due to weather. Using my hand light and I could see some ‘foggy’ spots.

Got it out this morning, maybe 18 hrs after application and in some spots there were ‘dark patches’. Im not sure if they were high spots or not as they looked different to other high spots I have seen before. Anyway, I read that applying some more coating on top could remove them. I did this and now I have this haze where I redid the coating. I have wiped and wiped and it just keeps return. I get that it is the coating rejecting itself, but I can’t remove it no matter what. I’ve tried a damp cloth and then dry buffing as well. I just don’t want it to ‘cure’ like this.

Any help, ideas and thoughts would be much appreciated and I am trying to fix this while I potentially still have time before it cures further. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coating Haze

Which ceramic coating? Problems like this is why I don’t use coatings anymore…
    Glen -

3. Likes rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Which ceramic coating? Problems like this is why I don’t use coatings anymore…
    NV Evo - which is surprising as it is meant to be very easy to use.

After this I think I’m off coatings for good. The last two coatings a did were hassle free and turned out perfect *shrugs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    NV Evo - which is surprising as it is meant to be very easy to use.

After this I think I’m off coatings for good. The last two coatings a did were hassle free and turned out perfect *shrugs

So why not just stick with those two coatings?

As for the haze i think you passed window when reapplying would help remove those spots. Once it sets in only a polish and recoat will fix.

Sorry for the issues. I have a bottle waiting to go on.

6. Likes rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    So why not just stick with those two coatings?

As for the haze i think you passed window when reapplying would help remove those spots. Once it sets in only a polish and recoat will fix.

Sorry for the issues. I have a bottle waiting to go on.

Trying something different I guess. As I was doing it I thought I had passed the window but gave it a shot anyway.

So does the haze just stay there forever if not polished out? I can wipe it away, and then a few seconds later it reappears. There were also areas that hazed on the day of application.

It does look amazing… apart from these few spots.

8. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can it be that you missed some areas with the ipa product wipe down? Or did you polish the car before you applied the coating?

Skickat från min SM-T736B via Tapatalk

10. Likes rover137, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Coating Haze

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Can it be that you missed some areas with the ipa product wipe down? Or did you polish the car before you applied the coating?

I polished before applying. I also washed with a pretty strong alkaline wash and then did panel a wipe before coating.

If I can at least fix the haze caused by reapplying the coating the day after that is something.

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I polished before applying. I also washed a pretty strong alkaline wash and then did panel a wipe before coating.

If I can at least fix the haze caused by reapplying the coating the day after that is something.

If you missed the window of the reapplication. The build up of the coating will get to thick and then it gets hazy sadly. For the best results polish or compound off the hazed spots and reapply. It depends on how many of these spots and where they are placed. If you can section them of by edges and bodylines. So you just do on the center of the hood for an example. The risk is that the edges of the application gets hazed again. Then it's the whole panel to reapply.

There is a thing that might work. I have not personally tested it and is just a thought of a solution I could be testing out and see what happens. So do it on your own risk LOL. Carpro Essence Plus and not the Primer. Is used to restore water behavior and gloss on old ceramic coatings with a Carpro Gloss pad. This combo over the spots that hazed might work to polish up. You can test if a finishing pad is not aggressive enough to test a medium cut polishing pad. It's a non abrasives Essence Plus so on a freshly applyied coating it should not remove it as it don't do on older and thinner ones. This is just a thought if you don't want to reapply larger panels or if it's many spots the whole coating being reapply after a polish. It maybe saves and maybe not. But Essence Plus is the only product I know of that you can be polishing and refreshing a ceramic coating with. Maybe it's worth it to you to try it out or maybe not. Just keep adding up products over the high spots is no solution I think. And go on for it with strong chemichals sounds not either good to me.

But it is strange if you have the time dialed in really well and not been applying to much for when you were leveling the coating. If you where methodical and the coating bottle is newly bought. I think it could be a batch problem as well. Have you had the bottle a long time? Say over a year. And if it gotten sun light on it. It can be somewhat cured in the bottle maybe. Just some thoughts.

14. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    If you missed the window of the reapplication. The build up of the coating will get to thick and then it gets hazy sadly. For the best results polish or compound off the hazed spots and reapply. It depends on how many of these spots and where they are placed. If you can section them of by edges and bodylines. So you just do on the center of the hood for an example. The risk is that the edges of the application gets hazed again. Then it's the whole panel to reapply.

There is a thing that might work. I have not personally tested it and is just a thought of a solution I could be testing out and see what happens. So do it on your own risk LOL. Carpro Essence Plus and not the Primer. Is used to restore water behavior and gloss on old ceramic coatings with a Carpro Gloss pad. This combo over the spots that hazed might work to polish up. You can test if a finishing pad is not aggressive enough to test a medium cut polishing pad. It's a non abrasives Essence Plus so on a freshly applyied coating it should not remove it as it don't do on older and thinner ones. This is just a thought if you don't want to reapply larger panels or if it's many spots the whole coating being reapply after a polish. It maybe saves and maybe not. But Essence Plus is the only product I know of that you can be polishing and refreshing a ceramic coating with. Maybe it's worth it to you to try it out or maybe not. Just keep adding up products over the high spots is no solution I think. And go on for it with strong chemichals sounds not either good to me.

But it is strange if you have the time dialed in really well and not been applying to much for when you were leveling the coating. If you where methodical and the coating bottle is newly bought. I think it could be a batch problem as well. Have you had the bottle a long time? Say over a year. And if it gotten sun light on it. It can be somewhat cured in the bottle maybe. Just some thoughts.

Thanks for the detailed response. That is the annoying thing. I reapplied the coating maybe 14-16 hrs later and thought maybe I’d be within the window. I did it to 2 places, one being a rear panel crossing over into a rear door and slight crossing into a rear boot panel and the other being on the very edge of the hood. This hood one is what annoys me the most as the hood is perfect in terms of correction and coating and now I have a 3-4 inch strip I reapplied it to right on the very edge. This also overlaps onto a quarter panel and front door. This would be hard to work out a way to polish and reapply just that strip and the rear panel as well as the other panels that have slight overlap. I could tape off, but then as you say I run the risk of applying it again over an area that I didn’t re-polish and then I have a hazey spot again.

The other parts that were hazey after the initial application are all in random spots. These would
    also be hard to separate. The roof , hood (apart front that strip!) and rear (apart from slight cross over) are all pretty good. So maybe the sides need redoing. It is disheartening as I’ve spent 30hrs on this and took time off work and all that. But again, how I make sure not to recoat other areas I’m not sure. For these other hazey areas that happened during initial coating I am wondering if there was some residual coating from the previous application left over. This hazing is very fine and barely visible.

I have actually thought about Essence Plus. I have thought maybe I just hand polish a few areas.. but as you say it is risky and I’d hate to jeopardize an otherwise good job. I don’t know if this replaces the coating with its own inferior properties.

I felt like I was meticulous and did all my research, I tried various wipe off times, I was indoors, temperature was good, I used good
    towels and lots of them rotating often…but I am questioning my methods now. It is pretty disheartening. This is the first time I’ve made a mistake really since taking up this hobby. I’ve had the bottle for maybe 3 months and stored it in the house in a dark closet to try and preserve it. Wipe off was very tough and one layer took me
    5ish hours just to do just the paint!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the detailed response. That is the annoying thing. I reapplied the coating maybe 14-16 hrs later and thought maybe I’d be within the window. I did it to 2 places, one being a rear panel crossing over into a rear door and slight crossing into a rear boot panel and the other being on the very edge of the hood. This hood one is what annoys me the most as the hood is perfect in terms of correction and coating and now I have a 3-4 inch strip I reapplied it to right on the very edge. This also overlaps onto a quarter panel and front door. This would be hard to work out a way to polish and reapply just that strip and the rear panel as well as the other panels that have slight overlap. I could tape off, but then as you say I run the risk of applying it again over an area that I didn’t re-polish and then I have a hazey spot again.

The other parts that were hazey after the initial application are all in random spots. These would
    also be hard to separate. The roof , hood (apart front that strip!) and rear (apart from slight cross over) are all pretty good. So maybe the sides need redoing. It is disheartening as I’ve spent 30hrs on this and took time off work and all that. But again, how I make sure not to recoat other areas I’m not sure. For these other hazey areas that happened during initial coating I am wondering if there was some residual coating from the previous application left over. This hazing is very fine and barely visible.

I have actually thought about Essence Plus. I have thought maybe I just hand polish a few areas.. but as you say it is risky and I’d hate to jeopardize an otherwise good job. I don’t know if this replaces the coating with its own inferior properties.

I felt like I was meticulous and did all my research, I tried various wipe off times, I was indoors, temperature was good, I used good
    towels and lots of them rotating often…but I am questioning my methods now. It is pretty disheartening. This is the first time I’ve made a mistake really since taking up this hobby. I’ve had the bottle for maybe 3 months and stored it in the house in a dark closet to try and preserve it. Wipe off was very tough and one layer took me
    5ish hours just to do just the paint!

Ooh man I feel with you. It's so frustrateing when it goes wrong and especially when you can not exactly pinpoint the problem.

Have you watched Sandro at Car Craft Detailing Chanel? He's very involved with NV car care. He's also a certified installer of Carpro. Maybe ask under a video of his with this coating in it or maybe he got Facebook or Instagram so you can pm him with a question to him.

You said it where a bad wheather outside. Did you have your garage door open to the outside for some time? SiO2 is very strange with humidity being changed. It's often used as a dryer. If you know of those little bags that is in shoes boxes. That's silica(SiO2) in that bag and soak up any humidity that creates in there so it don't get mold and such or a bad odour from the packeging. So imagine if you let in high humid air inside. And this is no wrong as would want fresh air when you are ceramic coating a vehical. But the risk is it draws water in the coating and it will taking longer or shorter time to flash or cure. That's also why you must store a freshly coated vehical inside for 24h at almost every coating with a few exeptions. If you can count this out. Have it in mind in the future.

Man you have gotten the haze on the worst places and on a lot of the panels. I don't honestly know what I self would be doing. If you have a 3" polisher Carpro has 3" Gloss Pads as well. You will not remove the coating if you wait until a week has passed or when it's safe to be washing the car again. At this point it will not be doing any damages to your paint. But your eyes and mind will be taking a hit. Sorry for the joke. But it's for basicly refresh the top of the ceramic coating and not remove it Carpro Essence Plus. With the Gloss Pad from them you have the safe combo to be useing on it. If it's to much coating left/high spot then it's maybe not enough to polish it down to a level where it is. If it's a high spot you have a really high amount of cured coating on the spot. So that's why I think it could work with this some way. Cause I think that you have plans on useing toppers or/and drying aids and such. And Essence Plus leaves you a 6 month durability on it's own usually. So if it's looking good or acceptable for you when you test it out first on the least noticeble place. And even wait a few days after testing it out. So if it's working when doing it and see if it's holding up after a day or a couple of them.

I hope some others chaims in and maybe have some other thoughts that don't include doing it all again. And man I'm sorry for your experience with this after everything you put in to get it done. Do you have an option to have a light on a hazed spot and take a picture of it share it. Maybe someone has had the same experience as you. And can help out maybe. Easier if you can see it to recognice it. Sorry for some spelling. I'm from Sweden so english is not my native language. Feeled so bad for your experience with this. So maybe discussion can help you get to do what you want to be doing with it or test something that may work. The hard answer is to just polish off the coating and apply again. But I know the work you have put in. Maybe it's some old coating left or something other dirt inbedded in the paint where you have that hazed parts. But I don't think so. Though it's easy to miss parts to polish and with the wipe off for everyone. But it's on so many places and you have done this before. I think that the coating cured to much before you applyied it again. Then it's strange that you struggled so much with applying it as 5h is a long time. I will look at a video with Sandro from CCAD and see the process with the NV coating. And see if it's something in his video about it.

17. Likes rover137 liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast