autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coating Haze

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    I’ve never had issues with edges before with coatings. I have always been told to wipe within your square with the first towel and then use your second towel to blend the edges in. Thanks for tip, might try this if I end up redoing it. Part of me
    Just wants to leave it and move on.

How many panels did you have to recoat? I’m afraid I would nearly have to recoat the entire car if that is the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3 was a pain but i just like the candy gloss i got from coatings….. let alone the protection

2. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Sounds like it’s time to polish those panels and recoat.
    Can't even recall how many times I've had to do that.

Sounds like the way to go in this situation though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I've used Nv EVO and it was easy to work with in my experience. But you have to work quickly, no 3-5 minutes sitting on the panel before wipe off. I did use a microfiber applicator however those suede blocks are horrible in my opinion, i really don't understand why so many coating companies include them in their kits. For instance, Gyeon seems to be one of the first big brands, here at least, that have finally smarter up and put microfiber applicators in their kits.

And yes get some painter's tape and tape off the sections to re-polish, you have nothing to lose. Its actually how i coated my car in sections over multiple days.

I removed c.quartz UK on my truck lid one time with the rupes yellow foam, 3D one and a 15mm DA on speed 4.5 in no time. It was about 2 days old with all kinds of high spots due mostly to those horrible suede cloths, i never used them again.

I would like to give credit to Phil of the Miranda detailing channel for putting me onto microfiber applicators for coatings, it really is a night and day difference. I'm actually surprised it doesn't come up more on the forums.
    Those microfiber applicators are a no go for me. The guys that still use them at the shop are still having high spot, smear, and line issues.

One day I was having such a hard time with our Xpel Fusion Plus that I tried the applicator that was in the kit, and I haven't looked back since.

I do find that with the CarPro coatings, they like a fresh suede once in a while.

My perspective might be off though, because I cut my teeth with glass bottle coatings on Ceramic Pro and Xpel pro coatings. The Xpel I can work with but the Ceramic Pro was a truly maddening time to be a "skilled technician". Probably why I still sleep with a syringe of Gloss Coat on the night stand! Well.. No. That's because of the winter temps...

5. Thanks noorth thanked for this post
    Likes rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    3 was a pain but i just like the candy gloss i got from coatings….. let alone the protection

My car already had a coating on it that was still
    performing. Why I change up perfectly performing products I don’t know.

I’d have to do everything but the roof and rear if I don’t spot correct..

7. Likes dgage liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    That is what I was expecting as well but it was so difficult to level for whatever reason. I spoke to a rep as before applying and was told to wait 90 seconds to start with and play around from there. I even tried immediate wipe off and it was just so difficult still. I used a microfibre applicator as well as this is what I have always used with coatings and don’t know any different.

What sections did you tape off? Did you go panel by panel? Mine are in random areas and nearly every panel would need to be touched other then the roof. How long did it take you to remove from your trunk and how many passes? I have Orange SDOs which are similar to the Rupes yellow and I have Scholl S20 which is similar to 3D One I think.

Yeah the orange SDO and S20 are very similar i believe. I can't really remember how i taped the car off, i went mostly panel by panel but when i got more comfortable i did bigger sections.

I will mention carpro-us doesn't recommend S20 before a coating because it is so oily. You should probably do a dawn soap wash or similar before laying down the coating. The dawn soap recommendation is from gyeon actually. I will use a primer polish this year so i haven't got to worry about getting the panels free of polishing oils. The added bonus is they are very nice to use, i have gyeon primer. And i love machine polishing lol

Gyeon pure is going on my car this year.

9. Likes rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Yeah the orange SDO and S20 are very similar i believe. I can't really remember how i taped the car off, i went mostly panel by panel but when i got more comfortable i did bigger sections.

I will mention carpro-us doesn't recommend S20 before a coating because it is so oily. You should probably do a dawn soap wash or similar before laying down the coating. The dawn soap recommendation is from gyeon actually. I will use a primer polish this year so i haven't got to worry about getting the panels free of polishing oils. The added bonus is they are very nice to use, i have gyeon primer. And i love machine polishing lol

Gyeon pure is going on my car this year.
    I would have to do almost every panel if I were to aim for perfection like I got with my last detail and coating application.

I used S30 before coating and it also is pretty oily. I washed with a high alkaline soap before coating and then did a panel wipe. Maybe I need to move to a primer as well as all this panel wiping and washing just adds to the task and eats up more time and energy! I also love machine polishing but usually about mid way through a 12-14hr polishing day when my body is aching… I start to get over it haha the definitely happened this time around.

11. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, my experience with NV Nova EVO: Glass/Quartz/Ceramic Coatings – Kamikaze Miyabi, ISM, Zipang, NV Nova EVO, 22ple, Cquartz, Gtechniq CSL, EXO and more. | Life's tough, wear a helmet.

Was one of those "work in 24"x24" section" deals; slower than some others but overall enjoyable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    FWIW, my experience with NV Nova EVO: Glass/Quartz/Ceramic Coatings – Kamikaze Miyabi, ISM, Zipang, NV Nova EVO, 22ple, Cquartz, Gtechniq CSL, EXO and more. | Life's tough, wear a helmet.

Was one of those "work in 24"x24" section" deals; slower than some others but overall enjoyable.
    Thanks - have read that a couple times and again before I did my coating.

As I’ve said above, I really can’t explain why it was so difficult to level. I also worked in small areas and tried to do everything right.

14. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You've got the best experts weighing in, so all I can offer is condolences.

My heart goes out to ya. When I tried CanCoat (hardly a coating, I know!), I discovered my lighting setup was not conducive to a stress free application process. Really emphasized for me how much I just want detailing time to be stress relief time, not stress inducing. Since then I stick with products I know will be easy to work with.

16. Likes rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a bad experience with applying a coating a few years back. The wipe off was horrendous. Haze that just couldnt be wiped off easily. I came to the conclusion that it was a bad bottle since the issue went away when I used a new bottle of the same product. Wondering if this could be the issue here.

18. Likes rover137, DFB liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast