autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you think of my rinseless wash routine for a very dusty car?

At this time of year, we get lots of winds and my cars are frequently covered in dust. I know the safest way to wash the cars is to pretreat with foam and do a two-bucket traditional wash. But we are in the midst of a drought and I want to wash my cars with a minimal amount of water. What do you think of my rinseless wash routine for a very dusty car?

I wash early in the morning so the paint is cool and out of direct sunlight.

1) First, I pretreat the entire car by spraying a solution of Optimum Power Clean, diluted 3 to 1.

2) Next, I take a 1-gallon garden sprayer filled with water and 1 ounce of ONR. I start at the top of the car and spray the entire car in the hopes of getting as much of the Power Clean and dust off the car as possible before doing the contact wash.

3) I do a rinseless, two-bucket contact wash using ONR.

4) I dry the car using a Gauntlet drying towel and a drying aid, either Meguiars D156 or a ceramic-infused topper spray.

One of my main questions, do you think this routine will get all of the Power Clean off the paint, or is there a chance that some of the Power Clean will still be left on the paint and is a rinse with a hose necessary to ensure all the Power Clean is removed?

Thank you,
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you think of my rinseless wash routine for a very dusty car?

My thought is that isn’t enough rinsing after Power Clean. Maybe try McKee’s N-914 rinseless instead of Power Clean. Not exactly the same cleaning level but greater than ONR and you don’t have to worry about rinsing too little. Follow up with ONR and you’d be good. That’s two passes of a rinseless so it should be clean at that point. My idea probably isn’t the best but I feel you in terms of trying to use limited water, which I have to do during winter.

Another option is to look at Ammo Frothe as a rinseless with no need for water.

3. Likes joebruin77, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No way does that rinse it off, I wouldn't do thatWhat do you think of my rinseless wash routine for a very dusty car?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

5. Likes joebruin77, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If mostly removing dust, do you need something as strong as Power clean? I'd go with your pre treat and then traditional rinse less wash and save the Power clean for any spots you need to hit. Then you can give those areas an extra hit of ONR to remove the PC.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

7. Likes Klasse Act, joebruin77, dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Instead of Power Clean you could use Opti-Clean if the dust is "sticky". This is what I like to use when a lot of salt is present. Mist with Opti-Clean, pre-spray with ONR, contact wash with ONR standard dilution, then use Opti-Seal, Car Wax, or Instant Detailer as a "drying aid". Her Jeep has Gloss Coat on it, and my car has Opti-Seal (on non test bed sections).

Opti-Clean gives greater lubricate and cleaning Power as a presoak than ONR alone.

I've had very good luck with this process.

9. Likes ducksfan, joebruin77, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Instead of Power Clean you could use Opti-Clean if the dust is "sticky". This is what I like to use when a lot of salt is present. Mist with Opti-Clean, pre-spray with ONR, contact wash with ONR standard dilution, then use Opti-Seal, Car Wax, or Instant Detailer as a "drying aid". Her Jeep has Gloss Coat on it, and my car has Opti-Seal (on non test bed sections).

Opti-Clean gives greater lubricate and cleaning Power as a presoak than ONR alone.

I've had very good luck with this process.
    Okay, I liked the thread not because that's what i would do. But, rather i think if you're going over the top, this is a viable solution.

Personally, I don't get the point of doing more than one prespray and then washing. If an ONR prespray isn't good enough for you, use Opticlean for the reasons he states. You're not talking that much money. Why double the time?

I will add, from personal experience, use all Optimum products if use go with their product line. I've had problems with mixing their chemistry with others.

11. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no need for power clean in this situation. It will also degrade any wax or sealant on the surface.

13. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Drop the power clean and the second bucket. Only reason I would use the power clean is to spot treat bugs or sap. People think a second bucket is safer but all it really does is dilute the onr unless you fill it with onr solution too.

15. Likes joebruin77, glen e liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    Drop the power clean and the second bucket. Only reason I would use the power clean is to spot treat bugs or sap. People think a second bucket is safer but all it really does is dilute the onr unless you fill it with onr solution too.
    Exactly. I no longer do 2 bucket washes of any type. I use 1 bucket and multiple towels/mitts. I don’t have to worry about dirty rinse water towards the end of a wash because a dirty/rinsed towel never touches my paint. Oh, I guess I still use a 2nd bucket for dirty towels.

17. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Exactly. I no longer do 2 bucket washes of any type. I use 1 bucket and multiple towels/mitts. I don’t have to worry about dirty rinse water towards the end of a wash because a dirty/rinsed towel never touches my paint. Oh, I guess I still use a 2nd bucket for dirty towels.
    Exactly…Garry dean had it right…one bucket of solution, 6-7 towels and an empty discard bucket, leaf blower for bulk dry, waffle weave for the finish wipe. Total time : 20 min….

I like Ech20 versus ONR… Used ONR for years, Ech20 is better….
    Glen -

19. Likes dgage, joebruin77, chilly liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast