autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you think of my rinseless wash routine for a very dusty car?

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Exactly…Garry dean had it right…one bucket of solution, 6-7 towels and an empty discard bucket, leaf blower for bulk dry, waffle weave for the finish wipe. Total time : 20 min….

I like Ech20 versus ONR… Used ONR for years, Ech20 is better….
    Ech2o CRUSHES ONR, not even closeWhat do you think of my rinseless wash routine for a very dusty car?What do you think of my rinseless wash routine for a very dusty car?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

2. Likes dgage, joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    At this time of year, we get lots of winds and my cars are frequently covered in dust. I know the safest way to wash the cars is to pretreat with foam and do a two-bucket traditional wash. But we are in the midst of a drought and I want to wash my cars with a minimal amount of water. What do you think of my rinseless wash routine for a very dusty car?

I wash early in the morning so the paint is cool and out of direct sunlight.

1) First, I pretreat the entire car by spraying a solution of Optimum Power Clean, diluted 3 to 1.

2) Next, I take a 1-gallon garden sprayer filled with water and 1 ounce of ONR. I start at the top of the car and spray the entire car in the hopes of getting as much of the Power Clean and dust off the car as possible before doing the contact wash.

3) I do a rinseless, two-bucket contact wash using ONR.

4) I dry the car using a Gauntlet drying towel and a drying aid, either Meguiars D156 or a ceramic-infused topper spray.

One of my main questions, do you think this routine will get all of the Power Clean off the paint, or is there a chance that some of the Power Clean will still be left on the paint and is a rinse with a hose necessary to ensure all the Power Clean is removed?

Thank you,
    Joe
    I live in northern California and work in Utah. I traveled lots and lots of miles and I only get to wash my car once a month at best. My DD lives outdoor in California as well as Utah and I fully understand the water conservation aspect in California. I will try to answer your question as best as I could.

I think you are taking a one size fits all approach for all maintenance washes. Your method should be dependent on what the desired result would be. Light dust, moderately soiled, and filthy would be all handle differently. Another factor to consider is actually the condition of your LSP and type (wax, sealant, coating). Using a strong cleaner to pre-soak could degrade a wax and sealant while a true coating could take a lot more. Very seldom I would use Power Clean to presoak the entire car. Power clean foams well and I used it to treat nasty lower body panels in the past. Optimum has warned that it can edge glass if left to dry so I tend not to use it on the top part of the vehicle. They also recommend a thorough rinse off prior to moving on to the next step so rinsing with a sprayer is not enough in my opinion. I think using Power clean to pre-soak to rid of dust in general is a bit overkill. As to my typical pre-soak??? I have acidic, alkaline, and PH neutral soap and cleaners in my arsenal so it really depends on what I am trying to do. Am I looking to strip and start over or to preserve existing LSP? waterspots? Tar? bug guts? or my favorite....unknown sticky substances.

My monthly maintenance wash is a combination of pre-soak with the IK pro 12 foamer follow by a rinse-less wash. With the water restriction in place in California, I dont use a standard pressure washer anymore. I dont use a hose either. I now use a washer that siphon water....very similar to the Powershot. One bucket and a half of water is all I use for the entire car. I just need to rinse off the pre-soak plus this wouldn't alarm any nosey neighbors since everyone can see that I only have one bucket out. Once thats done, I load up my rinse-less solution to another IK pro 12 foamer and go to town one panel at a time with the big red sponge while using the remaining water in the bucket to rinse my sponge between panels. I would also use dedicated drying towels to remove any remaining liquid on the panel. As for the wheel... when the pre-soak is on the panels, I use a wheel cleaner and wheel woolies then rinse off at the same time as the panels. I sometimes would use the rinse-less wash on the wheels as well just to clean everything up.

BTW... Not all rinse-less washes are created equal. I stop using ONR many years ago. I just prefer a rinse-less wash to have more lubricity while having the ability to foam. Some rinse-less will leave behind a little protection and some with nothing. My choice of rinse-less product also depends on what my end game would be. On a SI02 based LSP...ECH2O, Polymer based LSP....Ultima waterless wash (dont foam very well..very runny), and everything else since it leaves nothing....Detailer Garage Wipeout Fuzion.

I been using this routine for the last 2 years now and its working for me.

4. Likes dgage, crg001, joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Overkill.

6. Likes Klasse Act, glen e liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    I live in northern California and work in Utah. I traveled lots and lots of miles and I only get to wash my car once a month at best. My DD lives outdoor in California as well as Utah and I fully understand the water conservation aspect in California. I will try to answer your question as best as I could.

I think you are taking a one size fits all approach for all maintenance washes. Your method should be dependent on what the desired result would be. Light dust, moderately soiled, and filthy would be all handle differently. Another factor to consider is actually the condition of your LSP and type (wax, sealant, coating). Using a strong cleaner to pre-soak could degrade a wax and sealant while a true coating could take a lot more. Very seldom I would use Power Clean to presoak the entire car. Power clean foams well and I used it to treat nasty lower body panels in the past. Optimum has warned that it can edge glass if left to dry so I tend not to use it on the top part of the vehicle. They also recommend a thorough rinse off prior to moving on to the next step so rinsing with a sprayer is not enough in my opinion. I think using Power clean to pre-soak to rid of dust in general is a bit overkill. As to my typical pre-soak??? I have acidic, alkaline, and PH neutral soap and cleaners in my arsenal so it really depends on what I am trying to do. Am I looking to strip and start over or to preserve existing LSP? waterspots? Tar? bug guts? or my favorite....unknown sticky substances.

My monthly maintenance wash is a combination of pre-soak with the IK pro 12 foamer follow by a rinse-less wash. With the water restriction in place in California, I dont use a standard pressure washer anymore. I dont use a hose either. I now use a washer that siphon water....very similar to the Powershot. One bucket and a half of water is all I use for the entire car. I just need to rinse off the pre-soak plus this wouldn't alarm any nosey neighbors since everyone can see that I only have one bucket out. Once thats done, I load up my rinse-less solution to another IK pro 12 foamer and go to town one panel at a time with the big red sponge while using the remaining water in the bucket to rinse my sponge between panels. I would also use dedicated drying towels to remove any remaining liquid on the panel. As for the wheel... when the pre-soak is on the panels, I use a wheel cleaner and wheel woolies then rinse off at the same time as the panels. I sometimes would use the rinse-less wash on the wheels as well just to clean everything up.

BTW... Not all rinse-less washes are created equal. I stop using ONR many years ago. I just prefer a rinse-less wash to have more lubricity while having the ability to foam. Some rinse-less will leave behind a little protection and some with nothing. My choice of rinse-less product also depends on what my end game would be. On a SI02 based LSP...ECH2O, Polymer based LSP....Ultima waterless wash (dont foam very well..very runny), and everything else since it leaves nothing....Detailer Garage Wipeout Fuzion.

I been using this routine for the last 2 years now and its working for me.
    I too am in California and have been trying to figure out ways to reduce my water consumption. What kind of pre-treatment products have you found to be effective, that also rinse away with minimal water from a cordless pressure sprayer or a pump-up sprayer? To maintain my own vehicles it's easy with what I already have, but for some vehicles that I see that have never been maintained well, it's hard to get the surface down to a clean slate for polishing/lsp without acidic chemicals (and the resulting flood of water to rinse away) in order to break down the water spots and such.
    Colin Lang
    @DimensionalShine <- My Detailing IG Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    I live in northern California and work in Utah.
    Wow, that took a long time to backspace to get to just this part of the post

But hey, LMAO at all the people who read this and can't comprehend why. And I don't mean crossing over state lines to work. It's more the direction your driving.

But being a life long CA guy, I wouldn't leave either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    Wow, that took a long time to backspace to get to just this part of the post

But hey, LMAO at all the people who read this and can't comprehend why. And I don't mean crossing over state lines to work. It's more the direction your driving.

But being a life long CA guy, I wouldn't leave either.
    I was raised in San Francisco and had been here for 40+ years. With all its faults and SF not being the same place I grew up from, all my ties are here. I still have a house in SF and have been renting it out (all except for the garage ---LOL). A few years back, my current employer made me an offer I couldnt refuse. Free housing and living expenses were all part of the deal for Utah. The rental market in SF is off the chart these days so I am having my cake and eating it too...

10. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crg001 View Post
    I too am in California and have been trying to figure out ways to reduce my water consumption. What kind of pre-treatment products have you found to be effective, that also rinse away with minimal water from a cordless pressure sprayer or a pump-up sprayer? To maintain my own vehicles it's easy with what I already have, but for some vehicles that I see that have never been maintained well, it's hard to get the surface down to a clean slate for polishing/lsp without acidic chemicals (and the resulting flood of water to rinse away) in order to break down the water spots and such.
    Pre-wash Effectiveness??? That's really depends on the vehicle's condition. I can only tell you what works for me and that are definitely more than one way to skin a cat.

If the question was geared toward a car with reasonably fresh LSP .... a good product I find effective to remove traffic film prior to the contact wash is IronX snow foam. Its PH neutral but I find it to be more effective to mix 1 - 1 1/2oz of product to 1 gallon of distilled water, use a foamer like IK Pro 12 instead of a foam lance + pressure washer, apply on the dirty dry vehicle (no pre-rinse), let it dwell for a few minutes , and rinse off. The foam tends to stick much longer which in turn improve effectiveness. There are times...I would lightly treat the lower panels with Trix prior to IronX snow foam if it is more than just the run of the mill traffic film.

Changing the nozzle orifice of the battery power pressure washer to a slightly larger one would help in getting more water on the panel but it will come at the expense of water pressure but then..... I just want to rinse the product off and not to blast it off. Its works fine for me and I am sure others might have different opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Ech2o CRUSHES ONR, not even closeWhat do you think of my rinseless wash routine for a very dusty car?What do you think of my rinseless wash routine for a very dusty car?

TELL ME MOAR!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    TELL ME MOAR!!
    I add 1.5 oz to 3.5 gallons of water for my RW. I always pre-treat the panels and you can literally see the Gloss and it's very slick. It also cleans well too, I'll always Ech2o in my collectionWhat do you think of my rinseless wash routine for a very dusty car?What do you think of my rinseless wash routine for a very dusty car?

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

14. Likes robwoodgto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I add 1.5 oz to 3.5 gallons of water for my RW. I always pre-treat the panels and you can literally see the Gloss and it's very slick. It also cleans well too, I'll always Ech2o in my collectionWhat do you think of my rinseless wash routine for a very dusty car?What do you think of my rinseless wash routine for a very dusty car?
    I'm new to this game. Should I ditch the ONR?

Or just add to my collection?? LOL

16. Likes chilly liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast