autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carpro vs sonax

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpro vs sonax

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Denim is supposedly pretty coarse so I’d recommend being careful. I don’t have any experience with denim but for paint that you say is in good condition, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend such a coarse pad with such a coarse compound. Microfiber cutting pads are decent but after switching to the Rupes wool pads, I can’t see myself going back to microfiber pads as the wool finishes so much better. And I have quite a few Meguiars cutting and fine microfiber pads.

Remember, paint is thin and clear coat is thinner. Only go as aggressive as you need to address the defects and no further.
    I have some orange peel I need to address further I have done some 2k wetland lightly and then fg 400 over it I got rid of id say 50% of it but all I wanna do is try to match the factory orange peel which is another 15% to go. I opted for denim pad since I can use it on a da and adjust which type of compound I would need for this and I read that ultracut is the preferred one? not throwing shade on Sonax cuz I can opt to purchase that one as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nick27 View Post
    I have some orange peel I need to address further I have done some 2k wetland lightly and then fg 400 over it I got rid of id say 50% of it but all I wanna do is try to match the factory orange peel which is another 15% to go. I opted for denim pad since I can use it on a da and adjust which type of compound I would need for this and I read that ultracut is the preferred one? not throwing shade on Sonax cuz I can opt to purchase that one as well!
    Ok. Now it makes more sense that this is a respray. Repaints are normally thicker but you still need to be careful with the thickness. Ideally you’d have a thickness gauge to validate thickness so you don’t go too far. The last thing I’ll say is be careful and go slow, meaning you will be better off with a little more orange peel than going through the clear coat. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Ok. Now it makes more sense that this is a respray. Repaints are normally thicker but you still need to be careful with the thickness. Ideally you’d have a thickness gauge to validate thickness so you don’t go too far. The last thing I’ll say is be careful and go slow, meaning you will be better off with a little more orange peel than going through the clear coat. Good luck
    correct I don't want perfection as im trying to save as much clear as possible. which compound between Sonax cut max and carpro ultra cut would u take in your arsenal to tackle this job without putting to much stress on the pad itself. will a microfibre cutting disc with a heavy compound remove orange peel as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself many denim pads. They load up fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nick27 View Post
    correct I don't want perfection as im trying to save as much clear as possible. which compound between Sonax cut max and carpro ultra cut would u take in your arsenal to tackle this job without putting to much stress on the pad itself. will a microfibre cutting disc with a heavy compound remove orange peel as well?
    I have Sonax Cut Max and I like Menzerna 400 just barely better but if I don’t need that much cut I usually reach for Griot’s FCC. Regarding Sonax vs CarPro Ultra Cut, Ultra Cut is one I’ve wanted to try but haven’t ordered it yet. Either would would work so I’d go by price but since you seem to be a hobbyist as opposed to a volume professional, I’d probably go with CarPro Ultra Cut so you can give us your feedback on it. But really, any of the Menzerna, Sonax, CarPro, and others will be more similar than different in terms of capability.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly detail German cars with HARD paint and have had great success with CarPro UltraCut. It seems to have the ability to cut hard paint while finishing down very well. I’ve been very happy with many of the CarPro polishes.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Carpro ultracut gets a lot of love the last year or so and sonax cutmax is another very well regarded compound. I would buy ultracut just because its a much newer product lol

I have used cutmax a fair bit myself and its easy to work with. However, i never used ultracut but it will be the next compound i pick up. Unless someone comes out with some game changing compound IE a 1 correction fluid system/product by just changing pads, which some say ultracut is getting it close to. 3D One/The Last Cut/CSI is marketed as a type of product that can cut like a compound with the right pad and finish, again with the right pad so you only need one liquid.

8. Likes dgage liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12