autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: Coating Prep

Post Thanks / Like

Coating Prep

Hey Guys,

I have a Black (new to me) 2018 Ford F250. The paint is in really good shape. Not a lot of swirls etc... I would like to ceramic coat this, but I want to cover all my bases first.
    I have used Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, Finishing Glaze and Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. I also have the Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep and the Uber Ceramic Spray Coating as well as claying compound. Do I need to use the Swirl Remover, Glaze and Sealant? What needs to be done to prepare the paint. Will the Perfekt Prep and Uber Ceramic Spray be sufficient or should I use something else. I know there is going to be many opinions.

Thanks

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Prep

Personally i would use the swirl remover on maybe a lake country orange pad(i really like the SDO pad), rupes yellow foam, buff and shine yellow uro-tec or even the rupes white foam(softer pad then all the former(s)), use perfekt prep(wait 15min or so for it to off gas) and then spray on the coating.

Not sure if the off gassing is necessary for perfekt but i would do it anyway.

No clay? I don't know what a claying compound is frankly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deano_1 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I have a Black (new to me) 2018 Ford F250. The paint is in really good shape. Not a lot of swirls etc... I would like to ceramic coat this, but I want to cover all my bases first.
    I have used Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, Finishing Glaze and Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. I also have the Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep and the Uber Ceramic Spray Coating as well as claying compound. Do I need to use the Swirl Remover, Glaze and Sealant? What needs to be done to prepare the paint. Will the Perfekt Prep and Uber Ceramic Spray be sufficient or should I use something else. I know there is going to be many opinions.

Thanks
    The Glaze, Sealant and Uber Spray Coating would all interfere or prevent the Ceramic coating from bonding correctly.

1. Wash the car as normal.
    2. Chemical decontamination (iron remover)
    3. Mechanical decontamination (clay bar/mitt/pad)
    4. Polish (removes the swirls, helps to further remove any lingering sealants)
    5. IPA wipe down (Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep)
    6. Apply the Ceramic coating.

4. Thanks Deano_1 thanked for this post
    Likes Deano_1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    The Glaze, Sealant and Uber Spray Coating would all interfere or prevent the Ceramic coating from bonding correctly.
    FYI. The Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, isn't actually a glaze. It's what they call their finishing polish.

Agree on the rest. If you're coating a car there is no reason to apply a bunch of sealants. They will interfere with the coating and are far less durable.

1. Wash the car as normal.
    2. Chemical decontamination (iron remover)
    3. Mechanical decontamination (clay bar/mitt/pad)
    4. Polish (removes the swirls, helps to further remove any lingering sealants)
    5. IPA wipe down (Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep)
    6. Apply the Ceramic coating.
    This is what I'd do. Only differences would be I skip the iron remover step and I use a dedicated coating prep spray like CarPro Eraser vs mixing up an IPA solution.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Other than the Perfekt Prep and Uber Ceramic, (I know there any many other products), what would you suggest for a novice for Ceramic? Also, what should I use to Swirl Remover? Would I than use something after the Swirl Remover?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by suggestions for a someone new to Ceramic? Sadly today you can find ceramic or SiO2 in just about every imaginable product...there is probably a sports drink somewhere with it somewhere claiming to make your sweat slicker....

Seriously though, do you want from your ceramic protection product and how do you want to apply it?

If you don't want to dive into the pool of coating, a product which totally surprised me was Wolfgang's SIO2 Paint Sealant. It was very easy to apply/buff off, looked great, and was surprisingly durable. You can find a couple write ups I've made on the product here.

You say you have both the Wolfgang Swirl Remover and the finishing polish (a.k.a Finishing Glaze) so you should be pretty good on the polishing front. From my experience, the Swirl Remover finished off really nicely when using a white Lake Country pad. I was able to go from using Swirl Remover straight to applying a sealant or coating.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    FYI. The Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, isn't actually a glaze. It's what they call their finishing polish.

Agree on the rest. If you're coating a car there is no reason to apply a bunch of sealants. They will interfere with the coating and are far less durable.

This is what I'd do. Only differences would be I skip the iron remover step and I use a dedicated coating prep spray like CarPro Eraser vs mixing up an IPA solution.
    Thanks for the FYI on the Glaze, just assumed it would be like most others.

And yes, I use CarPro Eraser for prep spray as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deano_1 View Post
    Other than the Perfekt Prep and Uber Ceramic, (I know there any many other products), what would you suggest for a novice for Ceramic? Also, what should I use to Swirl Remover? Would I than use something after the Swirl Remover?

Thanks
    Agreed with others I would inly keep the perfekt prep and the spray coating as part of the plan.

Use Perfekt prep as ISP/ polish removal stage right before coating and i would use the WSC as a topper maybe a year down the road.

I would do as recommended before and then look into one of gyeons new coatings. One is their most basic and easiest but i would look at Pure for best looks and Mohs for best protection.

My first was Cquartz UK3 and it wasn’t to bad at all.

If you wanna keep it all in the family Wolfgang PROFI

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk