autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Backing plates - what do I need?

I'm looking to get a G9 but want to swap out the 6" backing plate for a 5" plate. I noticed the store has Lake Country plates as well as the Griot's plates, but the Griot's seems kind of expensive. I'm assuming the LC plates are okay to use??

I also have a spare PC 7424 that I'm going to convert to 3" for smaller areas. I'm guessing the LC backing plates would be cool for this application, correct?

Let me know if I'm missing any important details. I feel as if something about a counter weight was a big deal back when I first purchased the PC, which would have been in 2004 or 2005.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Backing plates - what do I need?

I bought the conversion kit from Griot's garage to go from 6" to 5" and 3" to 2" and they work out very well!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Thanks vaca22 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    I'm looking to get a G9 but want to swap out the 6" backing plate for a 5" plate. I noticed the store has Lake Country plates as well as the Griot's plates, but the Griot's seems kind of expensive. I'm assuming the LC plates are okay to use??

I also have a spare PC 7424 that I'm going to convert to 3" for smaller areas. I'm guessing the LC backing plates would be cool for this application, correct?

Let me know if I'm missing any important details. I feel as if something about a counter weight was a big deal back when I first purchased the PC, which would have been in 2004 or 2005.
    I prefer the griots due to the cooling holes. Their 3" is the same. 2 inch too. 1 inch isn't. You can put a 3" on a porter but man do they vibrate. If you can splurge, get the G8. It changed my world. Lol

Good luck

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

5. Thanks vaca22 thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say to stick with the Griot's 5" vented backing plate as mentioned. If you get it during a 25% off sale, it's $15. You could go with another backing plate but might not have as much cooling.

7. Thanks vaca22 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After I got my Rupes 15 I demoted my PC down to permanent 3" duty

Like yours, my PC came with the counterweight to allow 6" use but 5" was the most I ever felt it was comfortable with

I can't say as I have ever seen or more importantly, FELT an issue with the 6" counterweight running a 3" system

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    I would say to stick with the Griot's 5" vented backing plate as mentioned. If you get it during a 25% off sale, it's $15. You could go with another backing plate but might not have as much cooling.
    I'm bummed I missed the last sale just now. Wonder when the next one will be?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm bummed I missed the last sale just now. Wonder when the next one will be?
    It can't be that long. St Patrick's Day sale? First Day of Spring sale?

11. Thanks vaca22 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just went on a well known repair parts site and the PC 7424XP parts section only shows a 5" and 6" counterweight so I guess if you run into vibration issues after going to a 3" pad you might get a better result by buying the 5" counterweight

It would be interesting to see what the weight difference is between the two because if the 5" weight is lighter I would think you could play around with your existing weight and possibly "tune it" for 3" pads by drilling it out a bit at a time

13. Thanks vaca22 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't run a non-Griot's plate on the G9 - the backing plate was built into the cooling design of the machine. Sure, it's a couple bucks more up front, but it was made for it and you only buy it once. Better to have the right plate than wreck your machine or pads due to overheating.

For converting your PC to 3", Griot's made an HD 3" backing plate for the last generation GG6 machines that was weighted specifically for that purpose (3" plate on an 8mm orbit machine).
    **googles - Rats - looks like it's been discontinued. **

15. Likes chilly, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As the other guys have said, I would definitely go with the Griot's plate.

However........ Using the LC plate in a pinch won't end in disaster.
    Just don't be stupid about it and try and use one pad to do an entire car, or to overwork your pads until the point of over-saturation.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast