autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

High PH pre wash's impact on ceramic coatings

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a pre wash type wash in a foam cannon and the impact it has on the longevity of a ceramic coating? I live in the northeast and this time of year the car gets hit with a lot of caked on rock salt, sand and grime that just rinsing with the water from a pressure washer doesn't seem to do much for...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: High PH pre wash's impact on ceramic coatings

Foam cannon / foam in general

Foam cannon / foam in general

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread, towards the middle, has alot of info about just this, including brands and a video by a well respected YouTuber. Myself and others give great pointers and I feel you come away well informedHigh PH pre wash's impact on ceramic coatingsHigh PH pre wash's impact on ceramic coatingsHigh PH pre wash's impact on ceramic coatings

5. Likes chilly, Uncbrs, rover137 liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of different opinions on this topic. My opinion lol Is how old is the coating? A fresh coating can probably take a lot of high PH washes but i think it makes sense it might affect an older coating. However, one of the main reasons i have a ceramic coating is i can use stronger chemicals. I don't wash my car so often as a lot of you guys here so it when i do i usually pre-treat with carpro lift or multix - in a pump sprayer or even a regular spray bottle, i think using a foam cannon(hooked up to a pressure washer) is a waste. But i have Labocosmetica's cleaning products to use this year - along with some left over lift and multix, much better value. I think they were one if not the first to market with a acidic shampoo like carpro's descale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Lots of different opinions on this topic. My opinion lol Is how old is the coating? A fresh coating can probably take a lot of high PH washes but i think it makes sense it might affect an older coating. However, one of the main reasons i have a ceramic coating is i can use stronger chemicals. I don't wash my car so often as a lot of you guys here so it when i do i usually pre-treat with carpro lift or multix. But i have Labocosmetica's cleaning products to use this year - along with some left over lift and multix, much better value. I think they were one if not the first to market with a acidic shampoo like carpro's descale.
    In your particular case a coating AND use of an alkine pre-wash makes perfect senseHigh PH pre wash's impact on ceramic coatings

8. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't the Bilt Hamber stuff high on the PH scale (alkaline)?

10. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    Isn't the Bilt Hamber stuff high on the PH scale (alkaline)?
    Yes...12 for Touchless and 13 for Auto-foam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Yes...12 for Touchless and 13 for Auto-foam

Just saw the latest vid from Forensic Detailing and John (Jon?) did a test where he pre-rinsed half of a car with water and left the other half dry. He then laid down a layer of AutoFoam and rinsed the car, and the area that was NOT pre-rinsed was significantly cleaner - the logic being that spraying the car off with water is essentially just contributing to the dilution of the soap before it gets to really break down the grime. I was really surprised, but it makes sense.

I think I'll be picking up a bottle of this stuff and skip pre-rinsing. It flies in the face of conventional wisdom but it really does seem to work much better!

13. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jon's videos are really good, seems like a regular Joe who just happens to have our conditionHigh PH pre wash's impact on ceramic coatingsHigh PH pre wash's impact on ceramic coatings

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    Just saw the latest vid from Forensic Detailing and John (Jon?) did a test where he pre-rinsed half of a car with water and left the other half dry. He then laid down a layer of AutoFoam and rinsed the car, and the area that was NOT pre-rinsed was significantly cleaner - the logic being that spraying the car off with water is essentially just contributing to the dilution of the soap before it gets to really break down the grime. I was really surprised, but it makes sense.

I think I'll be picking up a bottle of this stuff and skip pre-rinsing. It flies in the face of conventional wisdom but it really does seem to work much better!
    I don't pre-rinse anymore. Neither use a foam cannon. Like to have one of those IK foamers however or marolex. The big ones but they get mixed reviews...

I watched a video from Labocosmetica last week or so. They didn't pre-rinse either, they used an alkaline solution 1:10 out of a spray bottle on the lower panels and then used the foam cannon on top of the car. It was interesting. I will just be using my spray bottle for the whole car. I would use my pump sprayer but i will be following the alkaline rinse with an acidic wash. After they rinsed off the alkaline solution they done the exact same thing with the acidic solution but instead of rinsing it off they proceeded to do a regular PH neutral bucket wash. They call it their 3PH wash system or something to that effect.

FYI Carpro sells a new acidic wash called descale.

They also recommend pressure washing from the bottom up on the vertical panels. Which makes sense to me. The cleaning solution will rinse more easily from the vertical panels is there is no cleaning solution under it vertically. They never stated this point but i assume that could be one of the reasons. Yyes of Gyeon recommends starting from the bottom too.

16. Thanks vaca22 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast