autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

User friendly coatings, other than CQUK3.0?

I just wrapped up my 3rd polish and ceramic coat using Cquartz UK3.0. Personally, I love the ease of use with CQ and the gloss and water behavior are top notch. I’m still just a weekend warrior and an amateur ceramic coating user. My first coating use was on my F150 and the last two were for a family member and friend. My neighbor across the street just picked up a 2013 4Runner and has asked me if I could polish it and put a coating on it, but he wants more than 2 years out of the coating. I told him CQ is just what I was comfortable using, but that I would do a little research on something a little longer lasting that I would be comfortable trying my hand at. From what I understand Gtechniq CSL and Adams graphene may fit the bill. Any suggestions or thoughts on either of those coatings?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: User friendly coatings, other than CQUK3.0?

Almost every coating can last less than 2 years and also more than 2 years, all depends on the conditions the car will be exposed to and how well it will be maintained. In a car that doesn't get driven daily, is always in a garage, UK and most other coatings would last several years. If you take a 5 year coating, like CSL claims to be, and don't maintain properly and leave the car outside all the time, you'll probably call it done by 18 months.

So I'd first investigate how that neighbor will maintain the car. And then suggest what's appropriate. More than 2 years is not realistic because there will be some spots, some marring, things that one would like to fix and to fix those defects, the car needs to be polished and the coating gets removed.

I'd tell your neighbor it's best to get UK and re-do it every 2 years.

I also hear the new Mohs EVO is super easy to install, and with 2 coats it's supposed to be good for 3 years.
    Bruno Soares

3. Thanks mcr1911 thanked for this post
    Likes Desertnate, mcr1911 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response! I had definitely considered how the maintenance could affect the coating’s longevity and had tried to steer him more towards just letting me throw a sealant on it every 6 months. He has expressed to me that he isn’t real concerned with gloss or paint correction and really just wants the protection. The car is not daily driven but does stay outside and gets it’s fair share of off-road and mountain use on the weekends. Initially, I think he was thinking it was going to be more resistant to trail pinstriping, but I dispelled that myth and told him ppf or even just a polish every couple years might be more what he’s looking for.

I think you are absolutely on the right track, and rather than letting him be disappointed in the coating’s performance, I might just push the sealant or a spray ceramic on a more regular basis as the better option for him. Or, I’ll offer to coat it with CQ and just reinforce the fact that it won’t last the expected amount of time without proper maintenance and give him 100% full disclosure on my opinion that his car is probably not the best candidate for it.

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro is conservative in their claims. What you need to tell your neighbor is that those year claims are lab claims and not real world claims. All coatings require some sort of maintenance to keep them going long term.

Based on what his uses are, no coating is going to protect from off road use. It will help with making it easier to clean.

If he want s a coating then give him a coating but give him the understanding of its limitations.

You could also use something like CanCoat Evo to see if this would fit his needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with stated before. Nova Evo states up to 3 years as well as the new Pure and Mohs Evo Gyeon offerings.

Ease of use from Gyeon has been amped up and Evo has had good reviews on application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes mcr1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating (from the syringe) has a 3 to 5 year rating, and is easier to apply compared to CQ. Cure time and process is easier as well since it is a resin-based coating.