autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some technique/product advice

Hi all,

About 2 weeks ago i picked up a 2003 Chevy suburban. Overall the paint is in good shape (by which i mean a compound and polish will have it looking really good) Ive been slowly detailing it. Its so large ive been doing things in steps. So far ive used my steamer and some 3d APC in the rear cargo area trim, and the drivers side doors (wow steam is such a game changer) and ive used the 3d upholstery cleaner along with a drill brush and an extrator on the the carpets in the cargo area.
    Ive also compounded almost all of the vehicle except the rear fenders and roof. Ive also polished the hood and front fenders. (doing things as i have availability)

So far its cleaning up really nice. There are 3 areas id like some advice on. Ive added photos below.

1. The wheels. This is a z71 and has the nice aluminum (i think) wheels. Theyre in good shape, but there is some baked on crud inside the spokes. Some work with a microfiber and some polish made a dent, but im wonder if there is a better way.
    Need some technique/product advice-img_1597-jpg

I know there is a drill attachment meguiars or mothers makes. Would that help here?

2. There is some crud caught between some trim pieces and the body. Ive removed "most" of it with the pressure washer but whats left still bothers me.
    My thought is to use some polish on a microfiber and see if i can get it down in the hole.
    Need some technique/product advice-img_1598-jpg

3. I cant reach the roof without a step ladder. (i could stand on the running boards but im a big guy and they arent the sturdiest on these older chevys) I want to apply something that will protect it for a long time. I dont care if it looks great or not. I just want UV protection since i wont be doing more than pressure washing the roof most of the time. (probably clean it once every few months). the rest of the paint is going to be a guinea pig for some graphene ceramic coating ive been saving. im ok if it doesnt come out perfect on the truck if it keeps me from making a mistake on my s4.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some technique/product advice

Iron remover on the wheel

Post Thanks / Like

1. Have you tried using a wheel cleaner yet? Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner is a good place to start and is available in many stores (you want the clear one, not the green one which is standard duty). Make sure you follow directions on the bottle regarding spraying on a wet/dry wheel and dwell times. You will have to agitate, so a good wheel brush will be a great investment if you don't already have one. I've never used those cone/ball drill attachments, but if you decide to try it do your best not to hold it steady on one spot while polishing, otherwise you could create some nice rotational gouges.

2. Maybe try some detailing swabs?

3. The best protection for the roof in your case would probably be a wrap. Since you don't care how it looks it might be a good DIY if you've never wrapped anything before. Sounds like a lot of time on a ladder, but at least you know it will be good for at least a few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCarBlues View Post
    1. Have you tried using a wheel cleaner yet? Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner is a good place to start and is available in many stores (you want the clear one, not the green one which is standard duty). Make sure you follow directions on the bottle regarding spraying on a wet/dry wheel and dwell times. You will have to agitate, so a good wheel brush will be a great investment if you don't already have one. I've never used those cone/ball drill attachments, but if you decide to try it do your best not to hold it steady on one spot while polishing, otherwise you could create some nice rotational gouges.

2. Maybe try some detailing swabs?

3. The best protection for the roof in your case would probably be a wrap. Since you don't care how it looks it might be a good DIY if you've never wrapped anything before. Sounds like a lot of time on a ladder, but at least you know it will be good for at least a few years.
    I have used good wheel and tire cleaner on it, and it comes off with a lot of agitation with a wheel brush. I think for now, ill use some polish to try and clean it off.

The detailing swaps with some compound sounds like a good idea.Thanks!

for the roof, i guess i should clarify. it doesnt need to stand up to close scrutiny, but it should match the rest of the truck. Ill probably do a quick compound of it. I was thinking more along the lines of a good thick coating, ceramic or otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

I go at wheels like that with those cheap 1in bristle paint brushes from Horrible Fright after I spray *something* on the wheels.. recently it's been LA's Totally Awesome.
    Those who possess real knowledge are rare. Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still. The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

Post Thanks / Like

Look into royal brown or meg’s wheel brightener. Just make sure there safe for your wheel type.

Also Auto Fanatic wheel cleaner. Suppose to be non caustic and safe but can be diluted strong for tough wheels.

Wilson Auto Detailing has a video where he used megs wheel brightener and a steamer on caked on break dust,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk