autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3D speed vs rupes uno vs griots boss finishing vs blackfire one step

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I was basically stating a reason some people might have for getting limited life out of the product

The 3D youtube video about Speed shows Mike Williams doing a section of the hood and immediately wiping it off

Monkey see, monkey do

He talks about how long it can sit without problems wiping but doesn't go all the way and tell you to leave it on for the entire car, 45 minutes, or whatever

I figured this out a long time back and hopefully someone new to speed will read all this and pick up on it

I should have stated this as an instruction and not just my belief

Others will appreciate both you and dlc95 for clarifying this
    I wouldn’t have known that either if it wasn’t for Mike Philips to show that in his videos. Of course that could be an issue for someone doing it outside but in the shade and not so hot it’s fine to get around the whole car first and let the sealant bond for more time.
    Bruno Soares

2. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used Speed for years, and have done a bunch of "mini-tests" with it.

One was to wipe it off immediately vs. leaving it on for 40+ minutes. The difference in longevity was negligible to say the least.

All of that said, Speed is the best AOI out there IMO.

Plus, I always top it anyway. (Ok.......... let's ramp up that "But that defeats the purpose of an AIO!!" argument).
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, Bruno Soares, custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I have used Speed for years, and have done a bunch of "mini-tests" with it.

One was to wipe it off immediately vs. leaving it on for 40+ minutes. The difference in longevity was negligible to say the least.

All of that said, Speed is the best AOI out there IMO.

Plus, I always top it anyway. (Ok.......... let's ramp up that "But that defeats the purpose of an AIO!!" argument).
    I am editing this to add that my comments are from the perspective of a hobbyist and not a professional detailer

I have all the time in the world to top Speed but I know that the avgerage professional most likely has a labor factor and price point for an AIO job for the exact reason they call it an AIO

To steal from TW, ONE AND DONE

It would be good (I guess) if you did an AIO for a client and without topping it, the protection lasted many weeks into months instead of a couple or a few weeks as most AIOs seem to do before the protection is toast

OK, back to my original rant.....

I can see the argument of "I did an AIO and shouldn't need to do more" but how many people (enthusiasts) correct their paint and then put on a long lasting sealant or coating and then leave it alone "because it shouldn't need anything else"

I do everything I can to protect the whole stack of stuffs I lay down

I have applied Speed the same as you with variable time for cure and settled on the 45 minutes to get the most out of what little is there in the first place

With an AIO I think it's a given you are dealing with way less protection than a normal application of whatever protection the particular AIO uses

I obviously haven't used them all and am probably wrong so people should feel free to correct me

But honestly in my case it doesn't matter because, like you, it DOES get topped (with Poxy in my case) almost immediately anyway

I will beat a dead horse and say I would love 3D to bring out a pure polish with the same ease of application and removal with NO protection in it so I can top it with anything I want

I know I can still toss anything I want on top of any AIO but I would love the same level of correction, ease of use, and bare paint afterwards so I have a clean canvas for my sealant or coating of choice

I have said before that I would bet that the Poxy component of Speed has a great deal to with the ease of application and removal so maybe taking it out would ruin the "synergy"

I will climb down off my soap box now

6. Likes PaulMys, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The key thing here is that 3D MAKES their products. They MAKE their abrasives.

Many of those other products are made for the namesakes by a co-packer and came after Speed.

I have used most of the AIO's out there and some of the ones mentioned here are so close to Speed it makes you think. LOL.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

8. Likes chilly, dlc95, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am editing this to add that my comments are from the perspective of a hobbyist and not a professional detailer

I have all the time in the world to top Speed but I know that the avgerage professional most likely has a labor factor and price point for an AIO job for the exact reason they call it an AIO

To steal from TW, ONE AND DONE

It would be good (I guess) if you did an AIO for a client and without topping it, the protection lasted many weeks into months instead of a couple or a few weeks as most AIOs seem to do before the protection is toast

OK, back to my original rant.....

I can see the argument of "I did an AIO and shouldn't need to do more" but how many people (enthusiasts) correct their paint and then put on a long lasting sealant or coating and then leave it alone "because it shouldn't need anything else"

I do everything I can to protect the whole stack of stuffs I lay down

I have applied Speed the same as you with variable time for cure and settled on the 45 minutes to get the most out of what little is there in the first place

With an AIO I think it's a given you are dealing with way less protection than a normal application of whatever protection the particular AIO uses

I obviously haven't used them all and am probably wrong so people should feel free to correct me

But honestly in my case it doesn't matter because, like you, it DOES get topped (with Poxy in my case) almost immediately anyway

I will beat a dead horse and say I would love 3D to bring out a pure polish with the same ease of application and removal with NO protection in it so I can top it with anything I want

I know I can still toss anything I want on top of any AIO but I would love the same level of correction, ease of use, and bare paint afterwards so I have a clean canvas for my sealant or coating of choice

I have said before that I would bet that the Poxy component of Speed has a great deal to with the ease of application and removal so maybe taking it out would ruin the "synergy"

I will climb down off my soap box now
    Have you tried 3D AAT502?

In my quest for minimalism I've been testing all my product inventory. AAT502 is checking all my boxes. It's almost an ultra fine polish. I've had it struggle to remove d/a marring, and it finishes out on even the most fussy clears. It doesn't dust and is easy to wipe off. I prefer it to ACA520.

I have a client whose vehicle I did with Speed, and do maintenance washes with ONR using Opti-Seal as a drying aid. The two seem to play well together. I'm going to try Optimum Car Wax next time.

10. Thanks chilly, opie thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

In my quest for minimalism I've been testing all my product inventory. AAT502 is checking all my boxes. It's almost an ultra fine polish. I've had it struggle to remove d/a marring, and it finishes out on even the most fussy clears. It doesn't dust and is easy to wipe off. I prefer it to ACA520.

I have a client whose vehicle I did with Speed, and do maintenance washes with ONR using Opti-Seal as a drying aid. The two seem to play well together. I'm going to try Optimum Car Wax next time.
    I touched base in the older "Finishing Polish" thread a few minutes ago and will be trying AAT502

I love OCW as a drying aid for Speed/Poxy and feel they work well together

I need to try 3D Express wax as well, not certain why I never did other than lack of availability to me

Speed/Poxy/Express Wax might be a great "synergy" experience

Post Thanks / Like

I touched base in the older "Finishing Polish" thread a few minutes ago and will be trying AAT502

I love OCW as a drying aid for Speed/Poxy and feel they work well together

I need to try 3D Express wax as well, not certain why I never did other than lack of availability to me

Speed/Poxy/Express Wax might be a great "synergy" experience
    Don't forget about Bead It Up!

It's one of my favorite stand alone sealants. It is a much faster process than Express Wax, and will last longer, but there's just something really nice about Express Wax too. Not much "sexiness" from 3D, but their formulations are great, and the bottles are almost indestructible.

13. Likes chilly, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget about Bead It Up!

It's one of my favorite stand alone sealants. It is a much faster process than Express Wax, and will last longer, but there's just something really nice about Express Wax too. Not much "sexiness" from 3D, but their formulations are great, and the bottles are almost indestructible.
    I have not tried Bead it Up but have it on my list of things to try when I burn through some current inventory

I think very highly of 3D products and even though they are the Chevy of detailing lines vs the Ferrari of the boutique lines they are solid and dependable and I feel are great value for money spent

Knowing it is made in house and almost exclusively made in USA is a huge plus in my book

15. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. 3D's Canadian headquarters (and retail store!) is about 5 minutes from my house so I may have to give that a try.

Not to derail the thread, but any other standouts in their line? Only thing I've ever bought there is Speed so far (which I've liked).

17. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used both Blackfire One Step and 3D Speed many times. I like them both equally, but considering price as well I tend to prefer Speed.

Blackfire One Step is capable of some pretty impressive correction. I believe it is a diminishing abrasive, so it takes slow movements and deliberate passes to break down the abrasives and get the full capability of it. The residue left behind will wipe off easy even if left to dry in the sun for 30+ minutes. The resulting finish comes out beautiful every time with that Blackfire wet glossy finish.

3D Speed earns its namesake. Because it has a bit more of an aggressive non-diminishing abrasive package, a few quick passes is often all that is needed. It really will keep working but I find that working it longer really doesn't produce any extra results. With Speed you really have to let it sit on the surface for 45 mins if you want the protection element to bond fully. But, the wipe off is silly easy, just like the Blackfire.

So for ease of use, Speed is king. If you want the maximum corrective ability, One Step will give you stronger results. I think I have a thread here of a car I detailed with it where it completely revived a heavily stained and oxidized finish. I give the edge in gloss to Speed, I attribute that to the montan wax component. Slickness is a tie. Both are great!

I tend to top my AIO's so Speed usually gets Bead It Up and One Step usually gets the Blackfire SiO2 spray sealant. Durability goes to Blackfire. Beading is a tie.

My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by 986DTM View Post
    Interesting. 3D's Canadian headquarters (and retail store!) is about 5 minutes from my house so I may have to give that a try.

Not to derail the thread, but any other standouts in their line? Only thing I've ever bought there is Speed so far (which I've liked).
    3D makes some really awesome degreasers and cleaners. Their Orange Degreaser I use for pretty much everything like a traffic film remover, bug remover, plastic and rubber trim cleaner, engine bay cleaner, wheel and tire cleaner, and when more diluted it has uses on the interior for heavy grease and oil messes. I tried the yellow degreaser for wheel duty as it foams more out of the iK but I'm just gonna stick to orange for everything to simplify my supplies. Plus you can get it in the Super concentrate version.

If you detail other's cars with some awful crusted wheels, their Super Wheel Cleaner is a very effective acid-based formula. It is much safer to use and has less chance for damage than a standard wheel acid as it uses a Urea-Hydrochloric acid compound that only has a pH of 5 in concentrate. It's the closest you can get to a true spray on/rinse off wheel cleaner. When more heavily diluted it makes for a great acid decon for ceramic coatings, and for cleaning chrome.
    Colin Lang
    @DimensionalShine <- My Detailing IG Page

19. Thanks 986DTM, opie thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, Bruno Soares liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast