autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice for Soft Black Paint

Disclaimer: not a professional. I have been prepping a friend’s 6 week old Black Camry for CQ 3.0 UK and having trouble getting the finish I want. It has only been washed by the dealership with what appears to have been the shop broom. Lots of straight line scratches. Correction went ok using GG Correcting cream, orange pads and older GG polishers. I expected some haze (and got it) so I finished first black pads and Menzerna 3500. Direct sun on the sides showed a sheen so I wiped with Car Pro eraser and it got worse. The Menzerna seemed hard to wipe off so I switched to a Sonax polish (3 cut/6 gloss). I still got some hazing so I started using diluted ONR to aid in wipe off and that helped. I have dedicated MF towels for touching paint. I tried plush and regular nap. Now for my questions:

1. Is there a favorite polish for soft black that finishes well and is easy to wipe off?

2. What tricks do you use to prevent the problem?

3. Would Car Pro Essence have prevented the hazing?

4. On soft black is it possible to get a 100% haze free finish? I’m sure my skill level doesn’t always allow me to match my expectations.

Just trying to to feed my habit without getting too stressed out! Thanks for any and all advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice for Soft Black Paint

Yikes!

Menzerna is what I usually go to with those paints.

I've never had it not work.

The new polish I have started using, Optimum Hyper Polish is said to finish well on softer paints. I haven't vetted it yet though.

But, maybe try a white Lake Country flat or ccs polishing pad if you have any on hand - with the Menzerna 3500.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneK View Post
    Disclaimer: not a professional. I have been prepping a friend’s 6 week old Black Camry for CQ 3.0 UK and having trouble getting the finish I want. It has only been washed by the dealership with what appears to have been the shop broom. Lots of straight line scratches. Correction went ok using GG Correcting cream, orange pads and older GG polishers. I expected some haze (and got it) so I finished first black pads and Menzerna 3500. Direct sun on the sides showed a sheen so I wiped with Car Pro eraser and it got worse. The Menzerna seemed hard to wipe off so I switched to a Sonax polish (3 cut/6 gloss). I still got some hazing so I started using diluted ONR to aid in wipe off and that helped. I have dedicated MF towels for touching paint. I tried plush and regular nap. Now for my questions:

1. Is there a favorite polish for soft black that finishes well and is easy to wipe off?

2. What tricks do you use to prevent the problem?

3. Would Car Pro Essence have prevented the hazing?

4. On soft black is it possible to get a 100% haze free finish? I’m sure my skill level doesn’t always allow me to match my expectations.

Just trying to to feed my habit without getting too stressed out! Thanks for any and all advice!
    Finishing out soft paint is tricky. Menzerna polishes are on the oily side and I would not be using them before any coating.

What towels and what gsm towels are you using for the panel wipe?

In some cases a firmer pad finishes out better than a soft pad. So you could use perfect finish with a polishing pad and then with a plush towel do a panel wipe.

The other thing is this is where a primer polish like Essence is a life saver on soft paints. Still requires a panel wipe but not a heavy panel wipe.

I am also going to recommend to look into the Dr Beasley’s NSP 45. Requires no panel wipe prior to any coating.

Good luck.

4. Likes fly07sti, Bobh59 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Finishing out soft paint is tricky. Menzerna polishes are on the oily side and I would not be using them before any coating.

What towels and what gsm towels are you using for the panel wipe?

In some cases a firmer pad finishes out better than a soft pad. So you could use perfect finish with a polishing pad and then with a plush towel do a panel wipe.

The other thing is this is where a primer polish like Essence is a life saver on soft paints. Still requires a panel wipe but not a heavy panel wipe.

I am also going to recommend to look into the Dr Beasley’s NSP 45. Requires no panel wipe prior to any coating.

Good luck.
    Most of my towels are Cobra polishing cloths. Not sure of the gsm. I also have several plush one sided MF towels that seemed to cause marring. I will look into Perfect finish and Dr. Beasley’s. Thanks for relies!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Yikes!

Menzerna is what I usually go to with those paints.

I've never had it not work.

The new polish I have started using, Optimum Hyper Polish is said to finish well on softer paints. I haven't vetted it yet though.

But, maybe try a white Lake Country flat or ccs polishing pad if you have any on hand - with the Menzerna 3500.
    I do have both white Lake Country pads but didn’t try them. I did try a blue pad. It really seems like the wipe off is the problem. I did a black Infiniti last year that was about the same. Very frustrating! Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Soft paint is fun...no, not really....

Our Toyota isn't black, but it is a dark crimson and any hazing or defects are very noticeable.

I've had great success in removing defects with nothing but a white Lake Country pad (ThinPro and Flat) and a finishing polish. No need to use a medium grade polish or a compound as the paint is so soft it's easily corrected. I've used a few, but Optimum HyperPolish and Sonax 04/06 stand out as a couple which have worked well for me. Neither are very oily, so removal is easy and doesn't take many passes.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, Hyper Polish or Essence usually work very well. FWIW I like to use my GG6 or PC to finish on soft/finicky paints. Usually paired with Rupes yellow or Rupes white Mille pads (thin Rupes pads) I also try not to do more than 2 passes because it usually will result in micro marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Usually paired with Rupes yellow or Rupes white Mille pads (thin Rupes pads) I also try not to do more than 2 passes because it usually will result in micro marring.
    So, Rupes yellow work OK on soft Aisian paint? I've been working on mixed German and Japanese cars in my family for some time, but recently got rid of the German car for one from Japan. I was a little worried my growing inventory of Rupes pads might be too aggressive for the soft paint.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneK View Post
    I do have both white Lake Country pads but didn’t try them. I did try a blue pad. It really seems like the wipe off is the problem. I did a black Infiniti last year that was about the same. Very frustrating! Thanks for the tip.
    Ok, so tell me a bit about your process.

How are you "priming" the pad?
    How often are you cleaning between sections?
    How are you reloading the pad?
    Which polisher are you using?
    What speed?
    How much pressure?
    How many passes?

Post Thanks / Like

Advice for Soft Black Paint-img_0333-jpgAdvice for Soft Black Paint-img_0335-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Ok, so tell me a bit about your process.

How are you "priming" the pad?
    How often are you cleaning between sections?
    How are you reloading the pad?
    Which polisher are you using?
    What speed?
    How much pressure?
    How many passes?
    I was using 4 or 5 drops of polish and starting adding a light spray of diluted ONR. I don’t have an air compressor to I try to clean the pads by wiping with a MF towel between panels and use the pads for two panels generally but sometimes go too long. I have 3” and 6” older GG polishers. On this car, I used light pressure, speed 3.5-4, and 3 slow passes followed by 1 faster pass.

I did do two additional very light passes with black pads and Sonax NP something. The car had so much dust that I had to wipe it down so I used 50/50 IPA/water instead of Eraser and applied very little pressure. I don’t know if I was seeing something left from polishing before, the extra polishing or two coats of CQ UK hid it but the car turned out really nice. I do think the Mezerna was difficult to wipe off and Eraser seemed to soften the paint.

I’m starting to get a rash when I see a black car drive by!

I just ordered Sonax Perfect Finish and will definitely try LC white pads on the next black car.

Thanks for every tip and reply!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast